Re: FAQ: Recover Admin Password

Discuss the FAQ's here, and get in touch with the FAQ Team.
torkil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by torkil » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:03 am

If you read the previous posts in this thread, you'll find at least 3 different ways to solve this:
- Use phpMyAdmin to generate the MD5 hash
- Use the forgotten password function on your site
- Use an external resource to generate an MD5 hash

viziers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by viziers » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:34 am

torkil wrote: If you read the previous posts in this thread, you'll find at least 3 different ways to solve this:
- Use phpMyAdmin to generate the MD5 hash
- Use the forgotten password function on your site
- Use an external resource to generate an MD5 hash
Torkil, which url ?
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,10985.0.html
thanks
Last edited by viziers on Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

torkil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by torkil » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:53 am

I am referring to other replies in THIS discussion. This discussion started with a question very similar to yours, and has been replied to in several different ways already.

Just scroll up and read what people have already written.

AROMAZLA
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by AROMAZLA » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:59 pm

torkill

these suggestions helped me a lot, thanks, God bless you

abuishaq
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by abuishaq » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:07 am

Hi, Im newbie here,
its already 4 days i cannot loged in to my backend page, when i try to log in it always any prompt "You Need To Login" its NOT "Incorrect password or username" I allready try to delete all temporary, cache, cookie, but its still "You Need To Login"
and by finding this thread, i try to reset my password, and still with the new username and password its "You Need To Login" so I'm sure my username and password are correct, but why I cannot lloged into my backend page? help me plizz

torkil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by torkil » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:27 am

Please, I mean no offense, but I am not confident that everyone would know how to reset their password in for example phpMyAdmin. I do recommend that you use the "I forgot my password"-function first (as outlined previously in this threadm by basically opening http://www.mywebsite.com/index.php?opti ... n&Itemid=1). Then double check and triple check that the password you are using is the correct one. (for instance: When you are copying the password from the e-mail, make sure that you don't copy a space after the password itself, since "aw3foh89" and "aw3foh89 " do not match. (notice the space in the latter)

Sorry if it sounds like I'm talking down to you in a condescending tone, I really am not, I just want to make sure that everything is done correctly. I've had plenty of clients that have overlooked small errors like this before, so it wouldn't be the first time.  :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:23 pm

To add, if you are able to logon to the frontend and not to the backend, there is a little Joomla! quirk resolved by setting the live site in your configuration file to www.domainname.com instead of domainname.com.

abuishaq
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by abuishaq » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:05 pm

torkil wrote: Please, I mean no offense, but I am not confident that everyone would know how to reset their password in for example phpMyAdmin. I do recommend that you use the "I forgot my password"-function first (as outlined previously in this threadm by basically opening http://www.mywebsite.com/index.php?opti ... n&Itemid=1). Then double check and triple check that the password you are using is the correct one. (for instance: When you are copying the password from the e-mail, make sure that you don't copy a space after the password itself, since "aw3foh89" and "aw3foh89 " do not match. (notice the space in the latter)

Sorry if it sounds like I'm talking down to you in a condescending tone, I really am not, I just want to make sure that everything is done correctly. I've had plenty of clients that have overlooked small errors like this before, so it wouldn't be the first time.  :)
first of all thanks 4 yo reply, is that link for frontend login? unlucky me, I disable frontend login :'(
for password, I already  "triple check" and I never copy paste the password, but yah it still "You Need To Login"
for aditional info I Use the latest joomla, 1.0.11

torkil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by torkil » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:13 am

If you re-enable frontend login, then you can use the forgot password functionality mentioned above.

You do not need to add the login module or a link to the login component at all, so this will be completely transparent to your regular users - no changes will be visible.

cronlin
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Re: FAQ: Recover Admin Password

Post by cronlin » Thu May 10, 2007 4:59 am

quick question....

okay, I've used this method before to change my admin password but now when I try to, I get this error in phpmyadmin:

Code: Select all

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/tbl_replace.php on line 155

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/tbl_replace.php:155) in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/common.lib.php on line 1154
any ideas?

all I'm doing is browsing the entries in my jos_users table, then selecting my account to edit it and entering the hash code for the password I'm wanting to change it to, I've also tried entering different hash codes that are listed and it's the same error.
Last edited by cronlin on Thu May 10, 2007 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
As soon as you make something idiot proof, Nature makes better idiots!!!

If you want to know what "coulda", "shoulda", and "woulda" gone wrong, send it my way! I have a natural ability of mucking things up!

torkil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by torkil » Thu May 10, 2007 5:50 am

Hm. Seems like a bug in phpmyadmin maybe.

Try opening this URL instead, to use the "forgot password"-function:

http://www.yourwebsite.com/index.php?op ... stPassword

William Reed
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by William Reed » Tue May 15, 2007 6:54 pm

First off, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this question.

I am one of the Super Admins for a website using Joomla 1.0.12 and Community Builder.  On Friday, getting in an out of the website worked like a charm but when an attempt to login to the website, the following message is received on the browser:

This is using Windows Explorer 6.0

Attempts to access login to the back end have also failed.  We have attempted to investigate the issue and located the file and edited one of the passwords in there as well but still get the above error message.

We are at a loss and would appreciate any possible assistance.

Thanks!

William R. Reed

torkil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by torkil » Tue May 15, 2007 7:22 pm

You should use this URL:
http://www.yourwebsite.com/index.php?op ... stPassword

If this does not work, please make sure that you have enabled frontend login in your configuration.php-file:
$mosConfig_frontend_login = '1';

Changing the password in your configuration.php-file will NOT work. If anything this will only make your site unable to connect to the database. All user passwords are stored in the users database table. Please refer to previous posts in this thread for an explenation on how to do this.

apinheiro
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by apinheiro » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:53 am

Hi there,
I've tried everything on this post...and still can't login on the backend of my site!

Please I need some help.

Thank in advance.
Last edited by brad on Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drducky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Recovering Admin Password

Post by drducky » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:30 pm

Can you explain in laymans terms how to get my password or reset

Signed green newbie

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Re: FAQ: Recover Admin Password

Post by brad » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:48 pm