[REQUEST]patTemplates sub forum

A general technical discussion area for patTemplate.
alwarren
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

[REQUEST]patTemplates sub forum

Post by alwarren » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:42 am

We're beginning to get a few discussions on patTemplates. I suspect as more developers begin to use patTemplates there will be many more. I've been using patTemplates for the last couple of components I'm working on and it would be nice to have a central place to discuss patTemplate issues.
Al Warren
This ain't my first rodeo. Red Foreman says it best.
CQDX de WR5AW

absalom
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: [REQUEST]patTemplates sub forum

Post by absalom » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:33 am

Hey, al, can you bump a pT tutorial or two my way, if at all possible (that is, if you have any) ?

I'm going to be releasing an all-in-one component/module/bot package soon and I haven't been looking at how pT differs from everything else.
Design with integrity : Web accessible solutions
http://www.absalom.biz
http://twitter.com/absalomedia

alwarren
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by alwarren » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:13 am

I'll have to sit down and throw something together. I've been thinking about it. I've come across a few roadblocks and their associated fixes/workarounds. There are still some questions that need answering. Still in the learning process myself. But what I'm finding is it takes a different approach/mindset to use patTemplates. Well, I guess on second thought, it all depends on how you implement it. For example, do you put all your logic in a template framework and use sub templates, or do you use php for your logic and use pat to output snippets. I'm talking output logic here. For example, you want to control what output is rendered and when, etc. You can actually do some pretty complex logic in the template itself. But it can get pretty messy. A solution I'm working with is to use a logic template with a separate file containing sub-templates. One advantage of using templates is language translation. You could actually create multiple templates based on language then just load the one you need based on the Joomla language variable. Sorry I've rambled a bit. But yes, I will see what I can come up with. Just remember I'm still going through a learning curve myself.

If I can put something together, I'll post it in the FAQs section.

I recommend downloading a copy of patTemplates from http://www.php-tools.net. There is a decent set of examples you can study in the examples/ folder. But note, the version for Joomla has been modified some. I suggest you use the Joomla version for your experiments.
Al Warren
CQDX de WR5AW

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:44 am

Hi alwarren,
as you are aware, I'm writing on some component stuff, too, and wanted to do the output by pT. I read the example from the help.joomla.org but I couldn't really make something from that How-TO. It describes how to load a pT-template, but not how to use it nicely.
What I wanted to say: I would be grateful, too, if you could write something more advanced. I think it would help a lot of people.
hackwar
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

wene
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wene » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:02 pm

hello

i do agree with creating a subforum in the Jommla! 's forum.

like the others, im trying to change my logic to use patTemplate...  :'(
step by step, i try and test....
(thank you Alwarren for your tip to use tab panels and dump() (in this forum), it works fine )

i anonymously asked questions on the phptools forum (thanks to Alwarren again  ;) for answering ), but the Joomla! 's pat engine was modified and im embarassed to ask questions on the phptools forum if i speak about Joomla!.
Last edited by wene on Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misk0
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by misk0 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:36 pm

I just want to support the idea of creating patTemplate subforum, and I agree with all things told.

Vimes
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Vimes » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:04 pm

Seconded, thirded whatever.
http://www.jomres.net THE online hotel booking and reservation system for Joomla and Wordpress.

Predator
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Predator » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:13 pm

Due to the fact that patTemplate will be the most important part for output and a really new part for 3PD's the topic patTemplate will rise, to move it now to a better infastructure ( subforum :D ) would be a good step. Or what do you thing Brad? :D

I have also a lot stuff ready which use patTemplate, so to post some here as example would be helpful, but not all in one Thread :D
Last edited by Predator on Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The "Humor, Fun and Games" forum has  more than 2500 Posts, so why not build a "Humor, Fun and Games Working" Group?
Malicious tongues say we have this WG right from the start, they call it core team :D

Predator
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Predator » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:10 pm

Now we have a subforum patTemplate as requested al ;)
The "Humor, Fun and Games" forum has  more than 2500 Posts, so why not build a "Humor, Fun and Games Working" Group?
Malicious tongues say we have this WG right from the start, they call it core team :D

alwarren
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by alwarren » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:04 am

Thanks Marko!

Now all I have to do is get off my lazy arse and write something. Maybe in a couple days. Got a big day at the R/C field tomorrow and a kegger afterwards.

Thanks again.  :)
Al Warren
CQDX de WR5AW

Predator
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Predator » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:39 am

alwarren wrote: Thanks Marko!

Now all I have to do is get off my lazy arse and write something. Maybe in a couple days. Got a big day at the R/C field tomorrow and a kegger afterwards.

Thanks again.  :)
This would be great, we need soon or later a Guideline for 3PD's and if you contribute now something for this i appreciate this and hopefully you allow that some of your Stuff flow into even this new upcoming Guideline.  8)

alwarren
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by alwarren » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:20 am

I'd like to see some input from Andrew since he seems to be the most knowledgeable with pat. I'm still in the learning curve myself. And given that pat is not that well documented, the curve is a little steeper than normal. We also need some documentation on the differences between pat version of patTemplates and J! version. Also, whether or not other changes to the pat core are anticipated.
Al Warren
CQDX de WR5AW

Predator
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Predator » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:15 am

alwarren wrote: I'd like to see some input from Andrew since he seems to be the most knowledgeable with pat. I'm still in the learning curve myself. And given that pat is not that well documented, the curve is a little steeper than normal. We also need some documentation on the differences between pat version of patTemplates and J! version. Also, whether or not other changes to the pat core are anticipated.
Agree, i will also look into the changes, i know there are a lot changes.

Looking into Joomla! 1.1and Joomla 1.0 you have some defined vars patTemplate:

Code: Select all

$tmpl->addGlobalVar( 'option', 			$GLOBALS['option'] );
$tmpl->addGlobalVar( 'self', 			$_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] );
$tmpl->addGlobalVar( 'itemid', 			$GLOBALS['Itemid'] );
$tmpl->addGlobalVar( 'siteurl', $GLOBALS['mosConfig_live_site'] );
$tmpl->addGlobalVar( 'adminurl', $GLOBALS['mosConfig_live_site'] . '/administrator' );
$tmpl->addGlobalVar( 'admintemplateurl', $GLOBALS['mosConfig_live_site'] . '/administrator/templates/' . $mainframe->getTemplate() );
$tmpl->addGlobalVar( 'sitename', $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'] );
$tmpl->addGlobalVar('treecss', 'dtree.css');
$tmpl->addGlobalVar('treeimgfolder', 'img');
$tmpl->addGlobalVar( 'page_encoding', "utf-8" );
$tmpl->addGlobalVar( 'version_copyright', $GLOBALS['_VERSION']->COPYRIGHT );
$tmpl->addGlobalVar( 'version_url', $GLOBALS['_VERSION']->URL );
$tmpl->addVar( 'form', 'formAction', $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] );
$tmpl->addVar( 'form', 'formName', 'adminForm' );

// tabs
$turl = $GLOBALS['mosConfig_live_site'] .'/includes/js/tabs/';
$tmpl->addVar( 'includeTabs', 'taburl', $turl );
Which can be added i.e. {SITEURL} or {SITENAME}

Some new tags:

Help for translation
adding tooltips
Cancel Button

For the Tabpane you can use :

Code: Select all

<mos:link src="includeTabs" />

<mos:Call template="startTabPane" paneid="a" panecookies="0" />
<mos:Call template="startTab" paneid="a" tabtitle="Meta Data" />

<mos:link src="xml-meta-form-table" />

<mos:link src="endTab" />

<mos:Call template="startTab" paneid="a" tabtitle="Files" />
	<div align="left">
		<strong>Site Files:</strong>

<table class="adminlist">
			<mos:tmpl name="site-files-list" type="simplecondition" requiredvars="file" addSystemVars="integer">
			<tr class="row{PAT_IS_EVEN}">
				<td width="20">
					<input type="checkbox" name="vars[siteFiles][]" value="{FILE}" checked="true" />
				</td>
				<td width="20">
				<mos:tmpl type="condition" conditionvar="mambot" varscope="site-files-list">
					<mos:sub condition="__default">
						<input type="radio" name="vars[module]" value="{FILE}" />
					</mos:sub>
					<mos:sub condition="1">
						<input type="radio" name="vars[module]" value="{FILE}" checked="yes" />
					</mos:sub>
				</mos:tmpl>
				</td>
				<td>
					{FILE}
				</td>
			</tr>
			</mos:tmpl>
			<tr>
		</table>

<br />
		<input type="button" value="Refresh Files" onclick="submitbutton('refresh_files')" class="button" />
	</div>

<mos:Call template="startTab" paneid="a" tabtitle="Parameters" />
	<mos:link src="xml-params-table" />

<mos:link src="endTabPane" />

There is a lot more, but i must check all and make a list the next days.

So to have a complete summary and how to use this is also a goal of the S&G Team.

Return to “patTemplate”