Advertisement

Any options if developer is not updating template to J4 Topic is solved

Everything to do with Joomla! 4.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
AGABBY
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Any options if developer is not updating template to J4

Post by AGABBY » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:23 am

Do I have any options migrating a J3 template to J4 if the template developer is not providing a J4 update? :'(
Will my site be at risk? Thx
a

Advertisement
AMurray
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Any options if developer is not updating template to J4

Post by AMurray » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:46 am

The risk is simply the template won't work with Joomla 4 (speaking of which you haven't said what template you're actually using).

The option would be to switch to a template that does work in J4 but you can always test the migration to J4 - on a copy of your site.

You would need to be an experienced coder I think in order to convert the template from J3 to J4.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

AGABBY
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by AGABBY » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:20 am

Hello A Murray,

Not sure how to share the template I am using without stating who the developer is? Thought it would be seen as advertising, which I thought was against forum rules.

Yes, I have some Joomla 4 templates, but I have put a lot of work into this J3 template and I thought about testing the migration to J4 as well.

I'm strongly considering hiring an experienced Joomla coder to convert the template from J3 to J4. But is it legal for someone else to modify code of another developer's template. Will this be a copyright infringement or is it fair use once I have purchased the template as an end user?

But, until then do you know what security risks by having the J3 template website online.

Thanks

AMurray
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by AMurray » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:10 pm

All I was asking for was the name of the template. I don't see the provision of that as advertising - it's on topic with your question, and it's about Joomla.

I wouldn't see an issue getting that template converted if the original author is not motivated to do so. Joomla products should be issued under GPL so should be free to distribute and modify. (they should not be proprietary/encyrpted code).

Beyond using the template as it is, the risk is wider than that by using a now EOL CMS (Joomla 3.x).
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

AGABBY
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by AGABBY » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:35 am

OK, sorry no offense to you asking, I'm just not fully understanding what's meant by knowing the name of the template, "privilege" developed 2014. But of course I've always maintained Joomla updates, currently 3.10.12

Still on a learning curve and bc it was my first template, it has taken me forever to publish. Used it as a learning tool and I love it! Yes, I have other templates and have purchased some J4 temps as well. I just want to ensure I can keep this one up and running.

Honestly, I'm going to be highly disappointed if the developer decides not to upgrade the template, because I think I've been pretty loyal and have purchased several templates as well. Thought I'd always remain, but this would be the tipping point for me. I shared that I'm more than willing to pay a fee if necessary. I get it! I will seek the services of someone else to upgrade it for me.

I understand what you mean by why take the risk with EOL.. I am willing to until I can develop another or as I wait for an upgrade.

Thanks @amurray for responding.

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:48 am

AGABBY wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:35 am OK, sorry no offense to you asking, I'm just not fully understanding what's meant by knowing the name of the template, "privilege" developed 2014.
Hi. You will spend time and money in vain. Theoretically, such a template can be made ready for Joomla 4. But the template developed in 2014 has outdated technologies on board. It is easier for the developer to create a completely new template than to update old technologies, since this process is equivalent to creating a new template. That is why the developer refused to update it. The development of modern web technologies has made some old technologies dead end.

Tip: Start studying some kind of framework-template (it's not difficult). Such templates are regularly updated and pass through migration. They are free and many commercial templates are built on them. You can achieve any appearance using such a template. Look at the Helix Ultimate, Gantry 5, T4 Framework, Astroid Framework and ect.

Cassiopea is also a very flexible template and allows you to achieve any appearance. But there is no settings interface. Therefore, to work with it requires the skills of coding and understanding Joomla API.

When buying a commercial template, you fall into a trap of dependence. Such templates are only for beginners.

AGABBY
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by AGABBY » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:40 am

@Pavel-ww, yes I understand. I actually know how to code and I have Gantry 5 and T4 Framework templates. Just hard for me to move on. But, there are a few of us, submitting concern to the developer about waiting for conversion on several templates. I mean, some of the sites are up and running.

Just answer me this.. from your judgement do I have at least until November, December to replace it? I see current 8.0 php will stop working in November. I've been able to update plugins and extensions.

I mean on a scale of 1 - 10 what is the risk to 3.10.12. I just need some time to market some biz items with the site.
Thanks

P.S. It would be nice if the template developer would design a J4 version and I'd have no problem purchasing.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:53 am

AGABBY wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:40 amdo I have at least until November, December to replace it? I see current 8.0 php will stop working in November.
PHP 8 will not stop working, even if it reaches its End of Life (EOL) on 26 November 2023. It will just stop getting security fixes, even if some critical security vulnerability is found.

IMHO, websites are more at risk running obsolete or abandoned and vulnerable third party extensions than an old version of PHP. Some hosts may still provide PHP 5.6, in spite of its EOL in 2018, but such J3.x sites may belong to hobbyists.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:19 am

AGABBY wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:40 am I mean on a scale of 1 - 10 what is the risk to 3.10.12. I just need some time to market some biz items with the site.
Hi. You are not at all to worry. Even now you can find many sites working on Joomla 1.5 and PHP 5.x.x.

Your Joomla 3 site will continue to work. And you have as long time as you like to solve the problem with the template and move to Joomla 4

nacc
I've been banned!

Post by nacc » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:29 am

I agree with @Pavel-ww and (to some extent) with @toivo.

On a scale of 1-10 about the risk to continuing to use J! 3.10.12, I would rate risk as 1 (low). If every J! 3.10 website in the world collapses overnight, I will buy everyone a $500 bottle of champagne, that’s how confident I am. :)

AGABBY
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by AGABBY » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:50 am

THANK YOU EVERYONE for helping me better understand .. I will definitely work on developing new websites using J4. But, in the meantime, I need to finish some biz stuff.

Thanks again everyone.. you're the best!!
A

AGABBY
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by AGABBY » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:37 am

toivo wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:53 am
AGABBY wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:40 amdo I have at least until November, December to replace it? I see current 8.0 php will stop working in November.
PHP 8 will not stop working, even if it reaches its End of Life (EOL) on 26 November 2023. It will just stop getting security fixes, even if some critical security vulnerability is found.
Quick question. Is the reason I cannot update to 8.1 (I receive error messages and have before) because of an extension? I've always wondered could it also be an extension that I am not using or only an extension that is being used? I ask because I've updated all the ones I am using. I thought the errors are due to not migrating to J4.

Thanks
a

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:25 am

AGABBY wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:37 amIs the reason I cannot update to 8.1 (I receive error messages and have before) because of an extension?
Maybe some obselete third party content or system plugin is still active and runs every time. It is also possible that the Joomla 3.10 core uses some functions or coding practices that cause Deprecated messages to be displayed in PHP versions 8.0 and later.

Change 'Error Reporting' in the Global Configuration to 'Simple' or 'None', which is the recommended setting for Joomla sites in live production mode. That setting will suppress the Deprecated messages.

Joomla recommends PHP 8.0 to run Joomla 3.10. I have tried to install Joomla 3 using PHP 8.1, but it simply doesn't work. I have been able to run a simple Joomla 3.10.12 test site using PHP 8.1 by suppressing Deprecated messages.

PHP minor releases deprecate some PHP functions and coding practices. Therefore it is best to follow the technical recommendations.

Ref. 1 PHP 8.1: Backward Incompatible Changes
Ref. 2 PHP 8.1: Deprecated Features
Ref. 3 PHP 8.1: Other Changes
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

AGABBY
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by AGABBY » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:10 am

OK Thanks so much for providing some good troubleshooting points. I can't recall if the messages are Deprecated, but I do remember my "Coming Soon" page not working when I attempted to upgrade. I definitely recall errors. I will check the ref you offer as well. Thanks again.
a

Advertisement

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 4.x”