Creating user with limited access?

General questions relating to Joomla! 5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Creating user with limited access?

Post by SocketPup » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:55 pm

So I understand you can create users with different grades of access.
Let's say I want to create a user and only allow that user to add/remove/change articles of a specific category. How do I accomplish this? I assume I create the user in the admin panel and then set some sort of restriction level? Or how does it work? Do the new user login at the same admin-page as the Super User?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Creating user with limited access?

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:52 pm

Set the Permissions on the Category.

The login.administrator permission gives the user permission to login to the back-end.

carlitorweb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by carlitorweb » Wed May 01, 2024 12:37 am

That user can login in the frontend using the module login or in teh administrator.

When creating a user, you need put him inside an user group. That group have permissions you can configure as global (in the global configuration) or per item, like each categorie. (Of course, set some permissions in some item like a categorie can override what you set up as global)

Check the permissions, first the global ones and then per item like each category, and what they do and come back if you need futher help
The future will be automated, decentralized, and digital.

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Wed May 01, 2024 5:11 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:52 pm
Set the Permissions on the Category.

The login.administrator permission gives the user permission to login to the back-end.
Thanks, I did just that. I created a custom User Group and allowed all the permissions to that group in the category. I also in Global Settings allowed "admin login". However, when I log in with the user, the panel is empty. There is not even a logout button. Do I need to change something else in the global settings as well?

carlitorweb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by carlitorweb » Wed May 01, 2024 7:27 am

Yes, each component or section, for example to enter to the list of articles (that is a component) have global permissions. Go to the options button you can see top-right in the articles list. Inside there, you can see the tab Permissions, and there the permission who give the user group access to the interface of that component.

carlitorweb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by carlitorweb » Wed May 01, 2024 7:30 am

The logout options, you can find it inside a module. Go to the module list and switch to Administrator modules, there you can give access to this group to those module inside the administrator. (Not remember now the name of the module, later I will give you if you not found it)

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Wed May 01, 2024 7:47 am

carlitorweb wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:30 am
The logout options, you can find it inside a module. Go to the module list and switch to Administrator modules, there you can give access to this group to those module inside the administrator. (Not remember now the name of the module, later I will give you if you not found it)
Yes, I see the list of Admin modules, though I am not sure which one I should allow permissions to.

carlitorweb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by carlitorweb » Wed May 01, 2024 8:04 am

With the modules you need handle it with the access levels. Put the user group inside the "Special" access level Joomla already have created, and you should see this modules and others.

The access levels you can find it in User > Access levels

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Wed May 01, 2024 8:47 am

carlitorweb wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 8:04 am
With the modules you need handle it with the access levels. Put the user group inside the "Special" access level Joomla already have created, and you should see this modules and others.

The access levels you can find it in User > Access levels
When creating/editing User Group, I am asked to set a Group Parent. So I set it to "Publisher" and then modified the permissions where needed.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 5.x”