Unrecoverable error "PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10)"

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Jin597
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Unrecoverable error "PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10)"

Post by Jin597 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:14 am

Good day,

I've been looking at a few of the posts where others got this error, and I haven't found a solution as of yet.

I currently run two servers:

Server 1:
Mac OS X 10.3.9
PHP4.3.11
MySQL4.0
joomla installs:  1.0.10(Japanese) and 1.0.11(English)

Server 2:
Mac OS X 10.4.8
PHP5.1.6
MySQL5.0
joomla installs:  1.0.11(english)

I am currently migrating and building new sites on Server 2 (primarily due to MySQL 5.0 and UTF8).  Anyway, on Server 2, whenever I try to install a module/component/template, I am getting  Unrecoverable error "PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10)"

I test the exact same module/component/template on a dev joomla install on Server 1 and it installs without issue. 

I also try to unzip the files on server 2 manually, and that works with no problem.

I did a phpinfo for both systems to compare the zip properties of php.ini thinking this might be cause:

Server 1:
Configure Command './configure' '--prefix=/usr/local/php' '--with-config-file-path=/usr/local/php/lib' '--with-apxs' '--with-iconv=/usr/local/php' '--with-openssl=/usr' '--with-zlib=/usr' '--with-mysql' '--with-pgsql=/Users/marc/svn/php4-maintenance/php-module/build/postgresql-build' '--enable-cgi' '--with-gd' '--with-png-dir=/usr/local/php' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/php' '--with-t1lib=/usr/local/php' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/php' '--with-tiff-dir=/usr/local/php' '--with-curl=/usr/local/php' '--with-mcal=/usr/local/php' '--with-mcrypt=/usr/local/php' '--with-mhash=/usr/local/php' '--with-pdflib=/usr/local/php' '--with-imap=../imap-2002d' '--with-imap-ssl=/usr' '--with-expat-dir=/usr/local/php' '--with-gettext=/usr/local/php' '--with-dom=/usr/local/php' '--with-dom-xslt=/usr/local/php' '--with-dom-exslt=/usr/local/php' '--with-xslt-sablot=/usr/local/php' '--with-mime-magic=/usr/local/php/etc/magic.mime' '--with-mssql=/usr/local/php' '--with-fbsql=/Users/marc/svn/php4-maintenance/php-module/build/frontbase-build/Library/FrontBase' '--with-ming=/Users/marc/svn/php4-maintenance/php-module/build/ming-build' '--enable-xslt' '--with-ldap' '--with-xml' '--with-xmlrpc' '--with-iodbc=/usr' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-dbx' '--enable-dbase' '--enable-trans-sid' '--enable-exif' '--enable-wddx' '--enable-ftp' '--enable-mbstring'
Registered PHP Streams php, http, ftp, https, ftps, compress.zlib
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING gzip,deflate

Server 2:
Configure Command './configure' '--prefix=/usr/local/php5' '--with-apxs' '--with-config-file-scan-dir=/usr/local/php5/php.d' '--with-iconv' '--with-openssl=/usr' '--with-zlib=/usr' '--with-gd' '--with-zlib-dir=/usr' '--with-ldap' '--with-xmlrpc' '--with-iconv-dir=/usr' '--with-snmp=/usr' '--enable-exif' '--enable-wddx' '--enable-soap' '--enable-sqlite-utf8' '--enable-ftp' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-dbx' '--enable-dbase' '--enable-mbstring' '--enable-calendar' '--enable-bcmath' '--with-bz2=/usr' '--with-curl=shared,/usr/local/php5' '--with-mysql=shared,/usr/local/php5' '--with-mysqli=shared,/usr/local/php5/bin/mysql_config' '--with-pdo-mysql=shared,/usr/local/php5' '--with-libxml-dir=shared,/usr/local/php5' '--with-xsl=shared,/usr/local/php5' '--with-pdflib=shared,/usr/local/php5' '--with-oci8=shared,instantclient,/usr/local/php5/oracle' '--with-pdo-oci=shared,instantclient,/usr/local/php5/oracle,10.1.0.3' '--with-imap=../imap-2004g' '--with-kerberos=/usr' '--with-imap-ssl=/usr' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/php5' '--with-png-dir=/usr/local/php5' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/php5' '--with-iodbc=shared,/usr' '--with-pgsql=shared,/usr/local/php5' '--with-pdo-pgsql=shared,/usr/local/php5' '--with-t1lib=/usr/local/php5' '--with-gettext=shared,/usr/local/php5' '--with-ming=shared,/usr/local/php5' '--with-mcrypt=shared,/usr/local/php5' '--with-mhash=shared,/usr/local/php5' '--with-mssql=shared,/usr/local/php5' '--with-fbsql=shared,/Users/liyanage/svn/entropy/universalbuild/src/FBDeveloperLibraries/Library/FrontBase' '--with-json=shared' '--enable-memcache' '--enable-openbase_module'
Registered PHP Streams php, file, http, ftp, compress.bzip2, compress.zlib, https, ftps
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING gzip,deflate

You'll note that they are pretty much identical.  Server 2 has the added capability of bzip2.  I'm really at a loss as to where this error is coming from.  Is there somewhere in Joomla that I can set the zip settings?  or is the problem with php.ini?  or perhaps with gzip/bzip2 itself?

All comments and help welcome :D
Last edited by Jin597 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you learn by making mistakes, be sure to make lots... so you learn more ;)

riprip
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Unrecoverable error "PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10)"

Post by riprip » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:36 pm

Did you ever get a fix...?
Post here if you did,

Thanks
~~
RipRip

Jin597
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Jin597 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:59 am

Yes... actually, with the help of people on the Apple Forums, I managed to get a resolution to this problem.  The problem was in the binary install of PHP that I had from Marc Lyniage's Entropy.  Apparently it wasn't compiled with all the necessary resources.  A person on the apple forums helped me to rebuild PHP from scratch.  After doing so, Joomla was a happy camper and handled the zip files properly. 
If you learn by making mistakes, be sure to make lots... so you learn more ;)

riprip
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by riprip » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:04 am

wow thats a big fix, thanks
~~
RipRip

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”