Help with the Users manual

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
tekwizard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Help with the Users manual

Post by tekwizard » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:39 am

I don't understand what page 71 of the Joomla User Manual is talking about.  It is the subsection from "The Menu Manager" called "Using the Home Menu Option to Control the Front Page Display".  I can't find none of the features this section describes.  If someone could give me some guidance I will really appreciate it.

Wizzie
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Help with the Users manual

Post by Wizzie » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:37 am

This visual tutorial might be worth watching http://www.joomlatutorials.com/joomla_t ... t/details/

Kay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kay » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:18 am

I had the same problem with page 71.  I thought it was talking about what goes where, which I eventually found under modules>site modules i.e. how you get things into different places as seen when you look at site>preview>inline with positions.

However I'm still having problems getting one item to stay where I want it.  My first 'news' item is a 'welcome to...' with a pic and I want it to stay as the very first item always, with other items being added underneath.  However whenever I add a new item it moves down and I have to reorder the frontpage manually.  I've tried changing it into a different segment/category other than news but it still does it.  I don't want to order them by date or the other 'news' will never move down, I just want to fix that one item.  I even thought about sticking it in the 'banner' box, but I'd have to change the size (presumbly by editing the css file) and get rid of the 'advertisement'.  Guess I'm missing something really simple....

I'm getting there though, must admit I really like Joomla so far!

http://www.birminghammoc.com/main/

Kay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kay » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:28 pm

Any suggestions on how to make the first topic stick at the top of the page?

Chinaman
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Chinaman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:33 pm

When ordering, look at the numerical value in ordering column, give the article a negative value, then click the small disc at top of ordering column
Joomla! - enjoying every minute of the journey!

nikos_m
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Help with the Users manual - page 71

Post by nikos_m » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:28 pm

I am a newbie to Joomla and sorry to say disappointed of how it's not as intuitive as I would expected to be ... meanwhile there are things I like about so I'll stick around for a little longer ...

I struggle trying to understand the logic of how to change the content of pages. The least I can say is that I find weird the logic but anyway ...

When I first found this post by performing a Google search I thought I had the answer about page 71. But unfortunately... page 71 doesn't make sense ... where is the "Home menu option" ... why is it so complex to change the content of the Home page (Frontpage)???

I'd really appreciate it if someone told me how to change that ...

Regards,
Nikos

stpurno
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by stpurno » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:24 pm

Hi,

i think but am not 100% sure that the logic about submitting items for the front page is that any new content items you submit are the ones you now want your visitors to see first as they are the latest news. If you want a different order to what results when you submit an item then maybe enter in all your data (content item after content item) then reorder everything accordingly.

stpurno
It is only through our most obscure dreams that we realise the potential of the human spirit.

poipoi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by poipoi » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:44 am

I had the same trouble a few weeks ago.

To manage your frontpage contents:
Menu> Main Menu> Home.

On the right side (parameters) you can decide how many articles you want to show in # intros. You can also change a bit everything around and see how it influences the front end.

The main idea in Joomla! is that the Menu> Main Menu will lead you to the parameters of all your different pages, and not just the parameters of the menus...

linux4me
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by linux4me » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:38 pm

Joomla is confusing at first, partly because of the new terms and the whole concept of a CMA. One of the things I stumbled over was the need to create the content before you create the menu items for it.

If you want an item like a welcome page to appear on the front page, it's easiest to create a user module (back end: Modules->Site Modules->New, then enter the content you want to appear in the editor provided) and assign it to a position in your template that appears above your main content area--often user1--so that it always precedes the rest of your content. Be sure you only publish it to the Home menu so it only appears on your home page.

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”