Ok so how do I add the podcasting ability to this thing?

Discuss the development and implementation of Joomla! bots/Plugins here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
wellis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Ok so how do I add the podcasting ability to this thing?

Post by wellis » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:59 am

I am new to podcasting and I want to add podcasting to our church online sermons page.

http://redeemingriver.org/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=40

I am using the Allvideos plugin so in the content page wherever you have {mp3}mysermonhere{/mp3} the flash player is shown and streamlines the sermon.  This is awesome, but how do I make that podcast?

I do not understand podcast and I have an Ipod.  I can go on Itunes and subscribe to a podcast and sync it to my ipod with no problem, but  I truly do not understand how to implement this into our church sermon page.  I have read all kinds of explanations, but none of them make sense.  Please someone help me understand how to make this happen.

Thanks

fotisevangelou
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Ok so how do I add the podcasting ability to this thing?

Post by fotisevangelou » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:35 am

Podcast is actually an Apple marketing term and a big bloat in my opinion.

It's actually recording something and posting it in your websites for users to download it (did we need a name for that??) to their computer and then transfer to iPod or iSuck. With AllVideos, you can embed your recordings on your webpage and provide people instant access to them, without download hassles.

If you want to be "podcast" certified, besides embedding your recording with AllVideos, you should also provide a download link to the mp3 file...

Damn Apple...  :D
Fotis Evangelou / JoomlaWorks

marlar
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by marlar » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:27 am

I agree. Podcasting has always been there. It's just old wine in new bottles.
"The Mambot Creator" - MultiThumb, Mosif, Htmlfix, MosHide...
http://kreacom.dk/mambot

wellis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wellis » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:03 pm

The only thing that makes that confusing is that there is some type of rss feed that you can make that talks to itunes, so that people can subscribe to your "podcast" or mp3 file.  I don't know how to do this.  How to update it as the page updates, and so forth and so on.  I know I can sign up at itunes to "podcast" my mp3's, but I believe there is an automated process going on here with that so thus the confusion.  Can someone clear the air for me with that?

Thanks

chas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chas » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:24 pm

my understanding is that the rss feeds work as normal and alerts the ipod that there is an update, so when u lick on the lick all it does it download the mp3 to your comp and transfer to the ipod.

As the man says, damned Apple :D

How much is Apple paying creative for the lawsuit of ripping Creative's music players etc???

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:32 pm

wellis wrote: I know I can sign up at itunes to "podcast" my mp3's, but I believe there is an automated process going on here with that so thus the confusion.  Can someone clear the air for me with that?
I turned notify on because I have the *exact* same question.

Fotis -

Since you are *the* Joomla! expert on this  8), what is the difference in terms of implementations steps between an actual "podcast" and just using mp3?

Specifically for the webmaster who wants to offer a podcast and also for the average, nontechnical person who only knows how to plug their iPod into iTunes and subscribe to a PodCast. Do you have documentation on your site - or links you would recommend reading?

If you don't, I'll try researching this since I really do want to understand this. We ought to have an FAQ on this subject. Very helpful to many churches, like Wellis, to offer sermons or musical programs easily to their congregations. (And, to many others, too.)

Thanks!
Amy :)

chas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chas » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:48 pm

well if u want my 2 cents  8)

Podcast is XML + MP3.......standard web tech......if you can find an xml generator, u are good to go

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:54 pm

hehehe ... you must be a geek!  8)

Now, from the perspective of a Pastor wanting to share his/her sermons -- or a parishoner who wants to download/listen on Monday morning.  That is more what I am wondering - those simple easy to follow instructions.

I don't think it has to be a Podcast - but - clear, easy to understand and use instructions - should help explain what has to be done so that it can be consumed on iTunes by an iPod by people you won't be able to talk to.

I think I have obligated myself to a bit of research.  :P  (Next time, Amy, quietly listen  ;). )

chas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chas » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:08 pm

Here s research for you lol there are free xml generators, and even joomla has one  :-* ie its syndication module.

But podcast would need specific settings, namely mp3 location, date and name etc.

We need someone to do a second syndication module with a CRON job....SO that the CRON will check a specific folder for MP3s every so often and update the xml, if the mp3s change.

Joomla will read that xml as a feed coming in and display the list of mp3s. From the enduser's perspective(ie the pastor's), they only need to upload the mp3s and joomla does the rest.

Hope i havent confused anyone lol  :P
Last edited by chas on Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:18 pm

Basically, (if I might GROSSLY over generalize your richly geeky message), we do not have an extension that does ALL of this, yet. You are outlining the basic processing steps, and a possible implementation approach, that could be implemented to provide this capability.

If I understood, then, yes, this is good information.

Maybe I should start with understanding what specifically a podcast is, a bit more deeply. Then, to see what Fotis and others have made available as Joomla! extensions to see what the difference is.

Again, for the "average bear", it has to be very simple, as you no doubt agree.

This is very helpful information; thanks so very much!

Amy  :)

wellis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wellis » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:59 pm

Everything that has been said so far... i already have seen an read across the web.

There is some type of podcasting extension on the extension side of the site here and I downloaded it, but it makes no sense.

Listen...I have made several sites for joomla now with great success.

Most of my sites are completely custom (non template)

It seems sad that I can make a custom template, hack modules, bots, and components, but I cannot understand this mp3 Ipod stuff!

I have an Ipod...I go to Itunes and subscribe to others sermons.  When I turn on Itunes it automatically downloads the content to my computer and then when I hook up my ipod it automatically syncs my Ipod with all new "podcasts" or "mp3's" or whatever you want to call them for this thread.

Wholla!  I have their sermon.

How can I do this for our congregtion without having to manually do everything every time.

My sound tech does not need to learn Joomla and code and whatever else to make the thing work.

Someone must know how to do this.

Also if you use allvideos mambot if you want to let the visitor download the mp3 you have to have a seperate link that allvideos does not create.  I do not want to have to manually add a link everytime we upload the weekly sermon.  The rss podcast feed should solve this though I believe with itunes subscription tied to our rss feed that someone here can hopefully help us with!

Do you need an interpretor for this thread?  :P

fotisevangelou
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fotisevangelou » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:09 pm

OK, here's the deal.

I'm not much of an ipod/itunes fan -although itunes is my preferred music player - and have never used podcasting personally. The case with "podcasts" broadcasted through itunes is -as mentioned earlier- a case of an RSS feed, specially constructed to include links of mp3 files instead of just some text.

Such a feature cannot be implemented in AllVideos -obviously- nor you can hack Joomla to do such a thing (=broadcast through rss mp3 links). However!  :pop We are already developing a feature-rich component for audio/video management and I think adding an rss feed, would not be a problem and would ease "podcasting". We don't know yet when we'll launch this comp, we have others set to release soon, but it should be ready by the end of February.

So, for the moment, go with AllVideos or wait for the release of our new comp!  :D

@Amy
As I said in my first post, podcasting is not something new. The itunes podcasting thing is also not some new technology. Just a mixture of RSS feeds and mp3 links. Big deal!  :D

For Apple
Yes, I said damn Apple before, but not solely for its tricky marketing!
Please see here for more and you'll understand.

http://wewantapplegreece.com/

Also, I'm certainly gonna buy this when it comes out: http://www.apple.com/iphone/
I'm sold!!!  :pop

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:38 pm

Doing what you can, Fotis, to bring Joomla! into a mainstream (be it unpalatable) "podcasting" environment is a good thing, IMO.

It may not be new technology and it may not seem to be a big deal, but from an end-user perspective, it is "where it's at" and they will not want to understand the politics or marketing behind it. They just want to put the words of their pastors and CEOs and garage bands into other people's ears. And, as you know, those people are increasingly doing iPod --> which means iTunes --> which means Podcast. Even learning that was hard enough for most people.

I knew you would be an important voice on this. Your work is absolutely fabulous. Thanks for all you do for us.
Amy :)

fulltilt
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by fulltilt » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:28 am

Wellis,

If you go to the Extensions area on this site and search for "podcast" you'll get 9 results, including one called "sermonSpeaker" which doesn't get good reviews though :(

Other posters are also right, podcasting is more than just an MP3 file.  Something (Joomla in this instance) needs to create an RSS file in a specific format that contains a link the MP3 file.  Then you have an aggregator (iTunes, Juice, or something else) that reads the RSS file, figures out what hasn't been downloaded, and downloads those files.

I haven't started podcasting yet, but I will be in a few weeks time (part of my job for this year).  The site I'm working on will (hopefully) have a proper RSS feed for aggregators and an online player. 

I do listen to a LOT of podcasts, but I use Juice and a generic MP3 player ... I just don't buy into paying for the Apple marketing machine.

Here's a link to a Joomla podcast that was around for a while, it might help with the tags, etc...

http://joomlajuice.libsyn.com/rss

BUT if there isn't a proper podcasting extension to Joomla! I think I've found my first project to do in Joomla! :) :)

wellis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wellis » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:07 pm

The podcasting Component listed here:
http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

And the AllVideos Plugin:
http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

Can work together to podcast.  I just have figured it out. 

The podcast component is looking for a tag in the content page that looks like this {enclose mysoundfile.mp3}
The all videos component that runs the mp3 file looks like this {mp3}mysoundfile{/mp3}

For some reason if you place the allvideos code into your content and then go to the component and publish the file it generates the xml page for you off of the Allvideos code. Strange I know, but it works. There is a bit more to it than that for little settings and stuff. But it works!

I will be testing it for video as well shortly, but this helps me for now.

See below:
http://redeemingriver.org/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=40

The podcast button etc...is all generated by the podcast suite and it is calling off of the files that the allvideos bot is calling up on this same screen.  Everytime that I add a file to this page the feed above is refreshed and sends the info to itunes when it is asked for by the itunes customer.  It works beautifully as long as you keep all of the files within the same content page.  You would have to setup seperate feeds for each content area, but for me this is all I needed!

Hope this helps someone.

You can go to itunes now that I have registered and type in "Redeeming River" and you will see the podcast to subscribe.  It is updating beautifully right now and I have tested it 3 different times by adding new mp3 files and checking the validation.
Last edited by wellis on Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fulltilt
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by fulltilt » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:01 pm

Awesome, that looks like it works very well :)

fotisevangelou
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fotisevangelou » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:18 pm

Excellent workaround man!!

Hats off to you!!

chas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:33 pm

very good :D this is a step above the manual insertion of the mp3 links :D

now we need a bot to scan a folder and rewrite the xml

wellis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wellis » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:25 am

This is almost there. 

You setup your page with your allvideos code
Then you upload your mp3
You then go to podcast in the components part of the menu to manage clips
Your clip will already be there listed if your settings are right
You then just publish article
You are DONE!

This cuts out 3 or 4 steps and is really just one step short of being completely automated. It is much better than the manual linking. Saves me a bunch of time.  I lucked into this one on a late night whim, and it worked!  I will use this until someone comes up with something better.  The only problem is that you have to weed through all of the anti apple talk before you can get into business. 

Like it or not, podcasting and apples "coined" word is here to stay, and even though I may want to buy american cars to support my economy...Toyota's are better so that is what I want to buy.  Same with this apple thing.  Like it or not, people use the term and understand it, therefore our mp3 and etc... need to be sensitive to it.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:33 am

Wellis -

You are MARVELOUS!  8)

Would you be willing to submit this as an FAQ item?  :)

That would be FANTASTIC!

Thanks so much, Amy

fulltilt
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by fulltilt » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:34 am

Wellis, awesome, just checked the RSS in Juice and it worked perfectly.

;D :D

webman911
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by webman911 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:24 pm

hey, guys - in case it helps somebody out (although it looks like you've found a good workaround here!), i put a tutorial together for leblanc's podcast suite (http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,138839.0.html).  :)
Author of In Her Name, "a grand story of love, power, sacrifice, and good vs. evil..."

Rumik
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Rumik » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:32 pm

Hi all,

I know this is almost definitely not possible to do, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I use FeedGator on my Joomla website to automatically add content items from RSS feeds. I was wondering if I could import news items from the GameTrailers.com RSS feed and have the videos displayed automatically, using AllVideos? The RSS is only a partial feed, you have to click "Read More" to get the video to pop up, but as the link to the video is in the Read More link, do you think it would be possible to get this to work?

If I'm understanding these posts properly then it MIGHT be possible, is it? Can someone help me?

Hope to hear from someone

Thanks!

J. R. Miller
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by J. R. Miller » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:47 am

This is a great thread.  I am the Lead Pastor for my church plant, and I do all my own Joomla design.  I am glad to know that I am not the only one totally confused by the concept of podcasting.  It makes sense that it is just a simple RSS feed with some XML coding, but then when I try and wrap my little brain around the details, I get all confused again.  I just don't have the time to learn this and do it manually every week. 

Any updates on development of a mod that actually works out of the box?  Something that allows me to simply add some text, upload the sermon, fill in a few boxes and publish?

webman911
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by webman911 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:54 pm

j.r. -

leblanc's component does work "out of the box," it just requires a bit of work (although not all *that* much) to get it configured the first time (http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,138839.0.html).

once that's done, adding podcasts to your site really just boils down to uploading the sermon to your designated podcast directory, creating a content item/article with some text and the enclosure tag pointing to the sermon - like {enclose sermon_name.mp3} - then publishing the article. then anybody can subscribe to the podcast through the site, and you can also make it available through iTunes (detailed instructions at the link above).  8)
Author of In Her Name, "a grand story of love, power, sacrifice, and good vs. evil..."

J. R. Miller
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by J. R. Miller » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:36 pm

Thanks, I have read through the stuff, but it just seems like a lot to me.  However, that may just be because I am really confused by the hwole podcasting thing.  I will keep an eye on his component though.  I apprecaite the link.

J. R. Miller
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by J. R. Miller » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:38 pm

Oh, and I guess I should say one thing.  One of the problems with his component is that it does require someone to have access to the backend and some bit of skill to do all that work.  I am wanting to get something a little more user friendly so I can have someone on our sound team do the work without a lot of training.  A nice form to fill out with a submit button would be more of what I would hope to find.

joomnewb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joomnewb » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:42 am

wellis wrote: This is almost there. 

You setup your page with your allvideos code
Then you upload your mp3
You then go to podcast in the components part of the menu to manage clips
Your clip will already be there listed if your settings are right
You then just publish article
You are DONE!

This cuts out 3 or 4 steps and is really just one step short of being completely automated. It is much better than the manual linking. Saves me a bunch of time.  I lucked into this one on a late night whim, and it worked!  I will use this until someone comes up with something better.  The only problem is that you have to weed through all of the anti apple talk before you can get into business. 

Like it or not, podcasting and apples "coined" word is here to stay, and even though I may want to buy american cars to support my economy...Toyota's are better so that is what I want to buy.  Same with this apple thing.  Like it or not, people use the term and understand it, therefore our mp3 and etc... need to be sensitive to it.
I am trying to do this same thing and ran across this post. I know it's pretty old but thought maybe wellis or someone might share a little more insight. 
I am creating a new content item with the allvideos tags {mp3}myaudiofile{/mp} inside the content (this works great for playing the file) however I go to podcast suite manage clips and I see the filename listed there but it's not published and has "publish in an article" instead of the green checkmark under "found in article".  When I edit it creates a whole new article, if I insert the allvideos tags things get goofed and I see {enclose .mp3}.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DJ

J. R. Miller
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by J. R. Miller » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:44 am

webman911 wrote: j.r. -

leblanc's component does work "out of the box," it just requires a bit of work (although not all *that* much) to get it configured the first time (http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,138839.0.html)
Okay, I did it.  It was not as bad as I thought and the backend is really easy to use.  Other than having to upload via FTP, this is really slick and easy to publish each week.

Here is my use of it  http://www.ortingreunion.com/content/bl ... ory/39/60/

Notice there are convenient links to Podcast and also to the basic RSS for not apple folks.  After doing the set-up, I am glad I did it and am very pleased with this tool.

wellis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wellis » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:48 am

joomnewb wrote:

I am trying to do this same thing and ran across this post. I know it's pretty old but thought maybe wellis or someone might share a little more insight. 
I am creating a new content item with the allvideos tags {mp3}myaudiofile{/mp} inside the content (this works great for playing the file) however I go to podcast suite manage clips and I see the filename listed there but it's not published and has "publish in an article" instead of the green checkmark under "found in article".  When I edit it creates a whole new article, if I insert the allvideos tags things get goofed and I see {enclose .mp3}.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DJ
Ignore the code in when you publish the article.  Place your info in front of it and leave it alone...it is needed by the podcasting suite.  Also make sure it is you type in /mp3 in your closing tag within the article and not just /mp  ... I believe you probably just typo - ed when you posted.

I use this work around for alot of my church clients and they are happy with it.

Return to “Plugins/Mambots”