Re: [UPGRADE AVAIL.] ExtCalendar Fork

Discuss the development and implementation of Joomla! components here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Wil
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Wil » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:59 am

ssherlock
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ssherlock » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:30 am

What you should add is that this is ExtCal, albeit re-written and more secure.  I've converted everything across and except for entries with quotes in everything came across easily and seamlessly, and my site looks no different (with no code changes on my part).

It IS the future :)

Daniel Tulp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Daniel Tulp » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:01 am

yes, but I can only migrate when he quotes bugis fixed, so it is for later
My personal website: http://www.danieltulp.nl
My photo showcade: http://photo.danieltulp.nl

v0d00child
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by v0d00child » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:01 pm

Daniel Tulp wrote: yes, but I can only migrate when he quotes bugis fixed, so it is for later
Folks.... JCal Pro is a fork project of ExtCal, exact same look/feel and imports ExtCal data without issue... Check it out on my site http://www.cavershamlife.co.uk

One issue, that I have is that registered users can edit other events, the author option doesn't work at the moment!

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by vdrover » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:19 pm

There are a few bugs we hope to iron out by X-mas, but the great thing about JCal is that you can try it without changing anything on your extcal install...it's totally non-descructive in that sense.
Victor Drover
https://watchful.net - Remote backup, update and security monitoring for Joomla.

domdeez
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by domdeez » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Is it true that there is no way to add events from the administrator side on Jcal.  I don't have any need or desire to allow the "public" to add events to my calendar.  Isn't this the case for most people?  I don't even want an "add an event" option on the front end.  Is there a way to disable this?  Will there be?  Ideally I guess I am looking for a calendar that allows my joomla admin or manager to login to the backend with their existing login and make changes to the calendar.  Or as close to that as can get.
Last edited by domdeez on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ottobufonto
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Ottobufonto » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:23 pm

at the moment adding / approving events in the backend is not available neither Extcal nor in Jcal (actually I leave it to vdrover to talk about Jcal  ;) )
As for Extcal I am working on that at the moment...

You can set the permission for adding events via the frontend to administrators, so the public won't see the ADD button. Just check the options in the backend. For convenience the default is set to everyone....

domdeez
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by domdeez » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:30 pm

Thanks for the reply.  I currently have the user login feature for Joomla disabled as I don't need it until I have the my forum system in place and sharing a user database with Joomla.  I guess the immediate solution would be to enable this and follow your advice using extcal.  I was under the impression that development was stopped or slowed on extcal.  Can the latest version(s) be downloaded from the extensions listing on this site?

Ottobufonto
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Ottobufonto » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:43 pm

Extcal is still in the intensive care unit, but its slowly recovering...  :laugh:
will have a nice new feature rich version in due course.

Then we will have two competing Extcal forks soon. vdrovers Jcal and the joomla forge project.. let the users decide which one they prefer.

I have read a similar request on a different forum (maybe posted by you) regarding disabled login on the frontpage. Right now no workaround other than keeping the login module and restrict who can add events

Otto

Lucretia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Lucretia » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:10 am

Elpie wrote:
leolam wrote: just one for the road........status mod_extcalendar_latest;)
No, we didn't touch the latestevents module. It requires a major overhaul, far more than a security release. There are some good things planned for the project as a whole so the future may bring what you are looking for.

For now, I recommend that people do not use the module.
um... any new infos regarding this one?

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by vdrover » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:30 pm

Ottobufonto wrote: at the moment adding / approving events in the backend is not available neither Extcal nor in Jcal (actually I leave it to vdrover to talk about Jcal  ;)
Thanks Otto. We have added backend events management in the forthcoming JCal Pro release.

Stay tuned.
Victor Drover
https://watchful.net - Remote backup, update and security monitoring for Joomla.

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by vdrover » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:12 am

vdrover wrote:
Ottobufonto wrote: at the moment adding / approving events in the backend is not available neither Extcal nor in Jcal (actually I leave it to vdrover to talk about Jcal  ;)
Thanks Otto. We have added backend events management in the forthcoming JCal Pro release.

Stay tuned.
JCal Pro 1.5.x Stable is now available. Lots of new features, including backend event addition/editing and approval, as well as totally reworked minical and latest events modules. We've also released a search mambot (allowing you to search for JCal Pro events in the regualr Joomla! search function) as well as a latest events mambot.

Lots more features and bug fixes than i can possibly put here. Hope you all enjoy the first stable release.
Victor Drover

ecofan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ecofan » Tue May 08, 2007 8:36 am

We are probably going to install J Pro.

However until now we had the old extCal installed.
Last year we had the turks attack, but didn't know how they got in.

This year we have had a more serious attack, with the planting of spam and phishing software.
This i believe has originated from the Ivory Coast in Africa (possibly Dimbokro). Although that might just be a diversion via an already infected computer!
They are using Google to search for the calendar code and then they do the install when they have found a victim.

If you use Google analytics look for the following search keywords 'allinurl: .net com_extcalendar'
If you see those and have ExtCal still installed, then you are probably already a victim or are just about to become one!

We have removed ExtCal for now and will be installing something new soon.

Return to “Components”