Wrapper page in two languages

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
swoosh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Wrapper page in two languages

Post by swoosh » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:31 am

Hi,

I'm quite new to this mambo and now I have a problem that no one else seems to have had.  :)

I need to get my wrapper pages multilanguage. I have mambelfish installed but I guess that I wont have any use of that in this problem.

I have two languages on my site, finnish and swedish. Then I have one html-page (actually I'm going to have several) that is in both languages. Now I want to use the wrapper so that I get the swedish version to show for those who use swedish and finnish for those who use finnish. How do I get that done? I tried a little bit for myself with if stuff but didn't get anywhere and now I'm tired of fighting with this. So PLEASE HELP ME! URGENT!

Thanks!

---------------------
swoosh

Robin
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Wrapper page in two languages

Post by Robin » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:35 am

Hi,

MambelFish is only translating content which is actually mambo content. Wrapped content is external content, so this can not be translated.

The only two options you have are:

1; provide two wrapper links (menu items), one for each language

2; include the content from those html pages into mambo, and translate with the normal mambelfish procedure.

swoosh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by swoosh » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:50 am

thanx for your quick reply...

now my question is: isn't it possible to have the wrapper module or whatever to recognize which language is in use and then show the right page... something like

somwhere? :)

I use that for my header image to change but it doesn't work on the wrapper, or should I say I don't understand how to get it to work.
1; provide two wrapper links (menu items), one for each language
Could do that but they will show on both languages, wont they?

2; include the content from those html pages into mambo, and translate with the normal mambelfish procedure.
Well that doesnt work on these pages because these pages are statistics for players and teams so they tend to change alot.

---------------------
swoosh

Robin
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Robin » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:55 am

Hi,

If those pages are statistics, you are correct. Wrapper is the best solutions. Then you need a solution like you suggest. No php expert so....anyone else on this question?

zorkhh
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by zorkhh » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:00 am

Hi,

there are several different solutions. One simple solution (which i would prefer) is a mambot which replaces the wrappers function. It should do somelthing like this:

$pagetoopen="swedish.html";
if ($_GET['lang']=="fi") $pagetoopen="finnish.html";
$row->text='

hth

ZorkHH
The Joomla! Ecommerce Experts http://www.vm-expert.com

swoosh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by swoosh » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:06 am

Ok, but I have no idea how mambots work :(

zorkhh
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by zorkhh » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:15 am

::) Sorry, i should have read the first post better...

A mambot is a script which is executed when mambo content is displayed. You might know the {mosimage} mambot, which is a placeholder for the images you can add to a content. Mambo executes the script of the moasimage-mambot and replaces every occurance of the tag with an image.

The same way my suggested solution would work. You enter the tag of the new mambot {moslangwrap} (for example) into your content. The content is displayed and the mambot is processed. The mambot check's the lanuage-parameter, selects the HTML-page to show and replaces the content of your mambo-item with the iframe ($row->text).

I hope, that make it a bit clearer...

ZorkHH

swoosh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by swoosh » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:21 am

ok that sounds nice but I still can't do that. Not enough experience in php and stuff.

Btw, if I use that mambot solution that only applies to one set of pages for example playerstatistics. So if I have like four teams and their stats I have to have four mambots right???

zorkhh
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by zorkhh » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:31 am

;D ... you (or whoever) can of course create a mambot with parameters {moslangwrap /Page1.html}

ZorkHH

swoosh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by swoosh » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:43 am

okay, now I'm sooooo out  :D My brain just exploded...

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”