[SOLVED]- [7140] Category Blog Layout: Selecting more than one category

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

[SOLVED]- [7140] Category Blog Layout: Selecting more than one category

Post by leadict » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:30 pm

By adding a new menu item as Category Blog Layout, i have noticed that i can't select more than one category in the Category dropdown box parameter.

Nevertheless there is a Category Order parameter, which would allow ordering the articles by category. Therefore there should be a multiple selection list box, in the way that it is available for the Blog - Content Category in Joomla! 1.0.x.

An image is attached with a view of the issue:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jinx on Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think" - Edwin Schlossberg.

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: [7140] Category Blog Layout: Selecting more than one category

Post by pvh123 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:51 pm

leadict wrote:
Nevertheless there is a Category Order parameter, which would allow ordering the articles by category.
Sorry for being a big head (may be!) but to my knowledge the category Ordering parameter in that menu type has IMHO to do with the ordering of articles of that particular Category. Since you found out that no multiple categories can be selected, how would you order multiple categories by setting that parameter?  ???

pieter
Note: Sending me private messages for personal support, without this been requested, would lead to ignoring any of your posts in future!

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:55 pm

pvh123 wrote: Sorry for being a big head (may be!) but to my knowledge the category Ordering parameter in that menu type has IMHO to do with the ordering of articles of that particular Category.
Let me to explain it. I will use the Drafts of 1.5 Help Screens. There are two parameters to arrange the articles in the Category Blog Layout:

1) Category Order: Articles from several categories can be grouped by category, then by primary order (as specified in the Primary Order field, described below). Select the display option from this drop-down menu:

- No, order by primary ordering only: Arranges articles only by primary order (as specified in the Primary Order field, described below), regardless of category.
- Title Alphabetical: Arranges articles first by category in alphabetical order, then by the primary order (as specified in the Primary Order field).
- Title Reverse-Alphabetical: Arranges articles first by category in reverse alphabetical order, then by the primary order (as specified in the Primary Order field).
- Ordering: Arranges articles first by category order as set in the Category Manager (Content ->Category Manager), then by the primary order (as specified in the Primary Order field).

2) Primary Order: Controls the display order for the articles. This is the defaul setting for the page and can be overridden by the setting in the Category Order field (described above). Select one of the options from the drop-down menu as the page default:

- Default: Arranges articles according to the order in the Article Manager.
- Oldest first: Arranges articles in chronological order, oldest items first.
- Most recent first: Arranges articles in chronological order, newest items first.
- Title Alphabetical: Arranges articles by title in alphabetical order.
- Author Alphabetical: Arranges articles by author in alphabetical order.
- Author Reverse-Alphabetical: Arranges articles by author in reverse alphabetical order.
- Most Hits: Arranges articles according to the number of hits, articles with the most hits first.
- Least Hits: Arranges articles according to the number of hits, articles with the least hits first.
- Ordering: Same function as 'Default'.
pvh123 wrote:Since you found out that no multiple categories can be selected, how would you order multiple categories by setting that parameter?  ???
Now you can answer yourself. The Category dropdown menu allows you to select one category only, therefore the Category Order parameter is ineffective.

Leandro

[Edit: I have made a mistake by using order instead of arrange in my first message].
Last edited by leadict on Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think" - Edwin Schlossberg.

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pvh123 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:18 pm

leadict wrote:
Now you can answer yourself. The Category dropdown menu allows you to select one category only, therefore the Category Order parameter is ineffective.
Exactly my point and thanks for your explanation. This actually means that either the multiple category selection must be made available or the Category Order drop-down must be taken out. Otherwise it is confusing for the users. If the multiple category selection was available in version 1.x.x. then it should be made available for 1.5 as well ( forward compatability ).

Any comments from the devs? Should this be raised as a bug?

pieter

Note: Sending me private messages for personal support, without this been requested, would lead to ignoring any of your posts in future!

Jinx
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jinx » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:46 am

With the implementation of the new MVC system for the content component the 'multiple categories on one page' feature has gone lost in action. Re-implemeting it requires major work, therefor I would suggest to adapt the parameters accoordingly and remove the category dropdown.
Last edited by Jinx on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johan Janssens - Joomla Co-Founder, Lead Developer of Joomla 1.5

http://www.joomlatools.com - Joomla extensions that just work

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:35 pm

Thanks Johan for the clarification.

This issue was also included in the Global Review of Menu Item Parameters, and there was another specific report from a user. I will inform in both threads about this subject.

Leandro

Jinx
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jinx » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:54 pm

Oke thanks, will close this one down.
Johan Janssens - Joomla Co-Founder, Lead Developer of Joomla 1.5

http://www.joomlatools.com - Joomla extensions that just work

seanwhe
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: [SOLVED]- [7140] Category Blog Layout: Selecting more than one category

Post by seanwhe » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:53 pm

I've search and search but don't find this feature.

I would like to be able to categorize a content item in more than one section/category without complete duplication.

My use case is one of simple content management. If I have a news website, I may have many sections, each with a number of categories. It therefore stands to reason that if I have an article that this about a mobile operator that has developed a new software for the leisure industry, that this article would be of interest to three sections of the website: mobile, software, leisure.

Now I can copy the article into the relevant categories within each section, but that would be a duplication of content, not a proper meta-categorization thereof.

It would be nice if one could view all sections and categories when posting an article, so that the article will be displayed in each section by reference to a master record of the article.

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:02 pm

That topic have nothing to do with the subject of this thread :(.

Here, we have talked about including articles from different categories into a specific blog layout.

You are talking about a feature directly related with the use of "Tags" or "Metadata" in articles. There are some extensions which allow to add this functionality to Joomla!:

http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/
http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

erichorne
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by erichorne » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:15 am

I guess I'm confused about the resolution of this. Having just installed Joomla 1.5 RC1, and having seen that there is no out-of-the-box way to display multiple categories of articles on a single blog, and given the response I read here, am I to deduce that multiple categories on a single blog page is no longer supported? Can it really be true?

Are there any suggestions for achieving the goal of creating a dynamic content page with a main body that displays articles from multiple categories?

Thanks (and sorry for the re-activation of this post.. I just wanted to clarify the final answer for myself and others that may be confused).

-Eric

Return to “Q&T 1.5.x Resolved”