NeverMind SMF, phpBB, vBulletin, Invision - the future is FireBoard :)

Discuss the integration of Joomla! with other products. ie SMF, phpbb etc etc

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
EMRhelp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

NeverMind SMF, phpBB, vBulletin, Invision - the future is FireBoard :)

Post by EMRhelp » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:19 pm

BIG NEWS.

BestofJoomla's Fireboard looks awfully pretty.  WOW.

Hope it's as good as it looks !

FireBoard
http://www.bestofjoomla.com/content/view/12/26/

FireBoard's extensions page.
http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

-Duke-
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: NeverMind SMF, phpBB, vBulletin, Invision - the future is FireBoard :)

Post by -Duke- » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:54 am

EMRhelp.org wrote: BIG NEWS.

BestofJoomla's Fireboard looks awfully pretty.  WOW.

Hope it's as good as it looks !

FireBoard
http://www.bestofjoomla.com/content/view/12/26/

FireBoard's extensions page.
http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

It's a beta so I'm not going to touch it until they fix all the issues that WILL ARISE with new installs.

I appreciate the update but I'd only recommend people get involved in this if they:

- don't care about how their forums get indexed.
- don't mind the possibility of continual patches and/or uprgrades.
- do not have an established webforum.

It is exciting news indeed that Joomla is adding more features but it would serve me better if they just worked with proven systems rather than build from the ground up. I have tons of forum content that requires proper indexing because it's wasted in its current form so trying something new and unproven is not an option for me.

That said, I will keep on top of the forums progress to see if I can use it for other sites I own.

Thanks for the update!

bestofJ!
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bestofJ! » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:58 am

Duke, Well said.

FB is not a replacement for huge boards like VB or ... right out of the box, But in time. We are implementing FB on a 100k site, simply not because our previous SMF was not good itself, but it was not good with Joomla together. Lots of our daily development effort were channeled to making this two work together and keeping it so. The result we were looking for was a problem free integration. FB is the result of that need. Sure FB will have bugs, but the whole system will be stable at least. It is an easy code, thanks to JB team, so many people can contribute too. Just take a look at the huge energy put on it the very first day ;)

Cheers
Maria

ps.
One point to note is that, SMF solution IS a very good solution for people wanting to use SMF and they guys there had done a great job. Simply what you get is what you pay for, isn't it?
Last edited by bestofJ! on Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maria Aslihan
Best of Joomla Project Manager

-Duke-
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by -Duke- » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:02 am

I just want to state for the record that I'm not trying to talk anyone out of trying this forum solution, quite the contrary in fact. I think it's an exciting product and I'm glad to see Joomla trying to fill the void in forum software that they currently suffer from.

My only concern is that users with high amounts of site relavent content get involved and it does their forums more harm than good over the short term as far as SERP Indexing, security and useability. I'm very confident that this software will flourish as the project progresses but I'd caution users to look at it more as a "test bed" instead of a viable forum solution for established websites.

That said, should you require any testing I'd be happy to setup a test site and have some people batter the software.

Return to “Integration & Bridges - 1.0.x”