404 error

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ranjanvarma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

404 error

Post by ranjanvarma » Sat May 19, 2007 6:05 pm

I'm new to Joomla and it's really exciting. I have configured joomla on my site personalfinance201.com. The home page is working fine. But the links that I've created are showing the 404 error when clicked.

For example I've created a content (Being covered may not be sexy but smart) under Fundamentals of Insurance category under Insurance section. I've linked it to Insurance on the main menu and "Ins" on the top menu. Both are resulting into 404 error.

All the links are showing that error ???

What am I doing wrong  :( Help!  ???

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: 404 error

Post by mcsmom » Sat May 19, 2007 6:08 pm

Turn off sef.

THere is something wrong with your site because it puts up an error message. Fix that your problems will probably be solved.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

ranjanvarma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ranjanvarma » Sat May 19, 2007 6:14 pm

Vow :D Thanks.

But why? I mean why does sef url interfere?? I had renamed my htaccess.txt file as .htaccess. Should I go back and rename it htaccess.txt??

Thanks again.

Ragdata
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Ragdata » Sat May 19, 2007 6:17 pm

It could be that mod_rerwrite is not implemented by your hosting provider - I don't think .htaccess would make any difference unless you were using Apache in the first place.

Yes, if it didn't work for you, change it back to htaccess.txt

ranjanvarma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ranjanvarma » Sat May 19, 2007 6:23 pm

I host with dreamhost. And I'm using webftp at ferrari.dreamhost.com And I'm a newbie too.

Thanks. The forum is amazing!!

Ragdata
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Ragdata » Sat May 19, 2007 6:27 pm

I'm not familiar with their setup - but there is something else you could try ...

The first actual directive in the htaccess file - Options +FollowSymLinks - if you comment out that line by placing a hash (#) in front of it, this MAY start working for you.

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”