Home / Titles / Meta Tags / SEO / Code Questions

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
sam1970
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Home / Titles / Meta Tags / SEO / Code Questions

Post by sam1970 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:13 am

Hello,

Here are the ultimate questions and I hope somebody have some answers cuz I’m out to explode

1. The home browser/link/text next to the main site title: from my understanding, the “Home” text next to the title will be ON as long as the dynamic title is set to “true” in the admin page. The only way this can be removed if I turn off the dynamic title generation and which I do not want to do

The question: Is there any other way to disable that from showing at all without turning off the dynamic title generation?

2. The site keywords and descriptions: why O why, when you link back to index.php, or component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/, the main or should I say the intro main article keywords and description write it self to it along with the main site “K” and “D”? That would be too much for search engines to digest; I guess

3. The title for the articles: If I have dynamic title generation, why the main site title keep on showing? For example: Joomla Article name: Sam Is Sad
Put it all together: Joomla – Sam Is Sad. Can it be just Sam Is Sad? No need for Joomla to appear next to every single article!

4. The article keywords and description: Shouldn’t that be empty from main site   
      keywords and description? Why we need the main site “k” and “d” to show in every article page? You may say, just do not enter anything to the admin config file keywords and description! Yes it will work, but you will not have any when viewing the main site page! Any fixes for that?

5. Why when clicking on the Home link it wont take us to the main site link (http://www.site.com), rather it takes you to /component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/
Which is very unlickely for a search engine to index all three links: http://www.site.com, http://www.site.com/index.php, http://www.site.com//component/option,c ... /Itemid,1/

6. The code it self on the site is all scrambled, lots of white space, excessive or even though the template is clean and organized.

If anybody has any ideas of how to fix some of the above, please let us know

Thank you so much

Sam

P.S. Sorry for the bad english....kinda tired :'(
Last edited by sam1970 on Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

compass
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Home / Titles / Meta Tags / SEO / Code Questions

Post by compass » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:04 pm

Quick Answer:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,12880.0.html

I'll try and answer better when I have more time :)
Follow me on Twitter @compassdesign
www.compassdesigns.net - Get get free templates and news for Joomla
simplweb.com/joomla-hosting - Fully Managed Joomla Hosting - Unlimited Support

WillieManillie
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by WillieManillie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:36 pm

Well, there are inputs from various threads in the forum stating it will be included in future releases and is in the roadmap.  I have heard this going back to Ma#bo last year.  I believe this to be the case, but don't expect any meta/seo stuff to work yet.  This is probably the most needed priority in the entire project.  It would seem, in my opinion, this would have been addressed already.
Steve Douglas
Net-Net Tech, LLC
http://www.netnettech.com

sam1970
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by sam1970 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:47 pm

Thank you compass, I did read that while back. It gives general knowledge of SEO and optimizing your site, but it does not address the technicality of question like the one I asked.

I have seen some very high ranking web sites that do not even have keywords or description on the main pages, only titles, then when it comes to the articles, it address briefly the description of the article and little of some keywords. They may have a huge add campaign and spend lots of money on adding their site to search engines, but it came to my attention that the more visits you have from around the glob, the more ranking you get and offcourse, the engine you are using

My sites have a very heavy submission, let’s say the bots visit my sites every day, over very short periods, Msn, Google, yahoo and others. I would say indexing 600+ pages every single day. When I search by site name, it comes with some pages. For example, the news site that I have, Google has about 600+ pages. But searching by any of the keywords, the sites no were to be found. It may have to do something with the how popular these keywords and the content it self roaming around so many web sites or the keywords and titles are set wrong. For instant, if I have some products that no body else has, then searching by these names would come very top of search engines.

Going back to the main issues and question I had, Joomla is a very powerful CMS engine, and I'd hoped that the core develop team gave SEO  a little bit more time to configure as it seems a very important subject to most.

The issue with mambo/joomla titles, keyword and description remain an issue no were to be solved. Issues like having main site keywords and description showing when viewing and article page, "Home" on the browser tool bar along with the site name and description.  It's very annoying to find out that "Home" is part of the site name in search engines search results, along with main site keywords and description showing on every single article title.

Some might say his site is well indexed! The question is what kind of web site you have! What are you offering? If you are offering Joomla or Mambo products, then you will be right there as both are unique names. But for site offering news, computers, and so on, all the SEO subjects are very important as we fight very hard to be indexed correctly.

I've seen that Joomla is working toward this issue in the upcoming release, but by then, maybe a whole new xml and core files would be impossible for normal upgrade. It might be over sections and bits of upgrades, but that would be very risky and/or time consuming.

For us who deiced to stick with what we have, a solution should be addressed to overcome some off the issues. I'm not saying the core team will abound pervious release, just give us a sort of direction of what to do. I'M NOT ASKING QUESTION about the how to fix issues with CSS file, or how to add another div/ to the site. These are technical core question and should not be abound or left without answers.

Please forgive me for this long post, but I feel it's very important that we get some feed back from the developer and not left wondering of what to do

Thank you

Sam
Last edited by sam1970 on Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”