"NEW" button is not working under Main Menu

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
mchinn
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

"NEW" button is not working under Main Menu

Post by mchinn » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:41 pm

Greetings,
I just installed Joomla-10.0.3 and the site and admin functions appear to work fine except...

The "NEW" function/button under the Main Menu does nothing (returns with a blank page).  Everything else seems to work fine.

I've had a number of clean, well-working  installs using *ambo-4.5.2.3 on various hosts.  But on this specific box, this error occurs with Joomla and *ambo.  Strange.

I eliminated the possibility that my workstation environment is a source (problem) by successfully launching and using the "NEW" function under the Main Menu within several other  *ambo sites installed on other hosts.

I have tried using Opera-8, Firefox, Mozilla, and IE and this error occurs.

I'm not a programmer, but I thought that Javascript is not necessarily server OS dependent but only works in coordination with only the client (browser)?

This OS on this box that I'm having trouble with is RHEL4 (Centos-4.2).

I've reinstalled Joomla-1.0.0.3 a couple of times just to make sure I haven't done anything overtly stupid but... No dice.

I'm officially stumped.  Any assistance would be great.

Thanks,
Michael

mchinn
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

[SOLVED] Re: "NEW" button is not working under Main Menu

Post by mchinn » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:22 pm

Well, I did alot more digging into this problem, and it was a setting within php (php.ini).  After I increased the "memory_limit" to 16M the "NEW" button under the Main Menu worked properly.

The default in "php.ini:
memory_limit = 8M

Increased to:
memory_limit = 16M

It's kinda strange that this would be the only function that bumps into the 8M limit...

Michael

feelgood
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: "NEW" button is not working under Main Menu

Post by feelgood » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:04 am

hello
sorry to bring back this topic but this is where i found the solution to the same problem happened to me

joomla was installed but "NEW" button was leading to empty page
after php.ini was changed from 8 to 16 MB it worked perfect!

Greetings

George

tcgolf
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: "NEW" button is not working under Main Menu

Post by tcgolf » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:27 pm

What does one do when NO buttons are working and are showing up only as text over text, eg: save directly over save (no button icons at all) and nothing works.    No template just text strewn down the page. (FireFox browser) (localhost and wamp5).                                                                                                                       

Last edited by tcgolf on Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”