Upgrade 1.5 -> 1.5

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
swiftly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Upgrade 1.5 -> 1.5

Post by swiftly » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:15 pm

Is it possible to keep articles, users and settings that are writen in 1.5 beta 2, when i upgrade to a nightly build?
And later from nightly to nightly, can i remain articles, users and settings?
Last edited by swiftly on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

http://www.tradingmate.com
It's running from 2004, i restarted it at july 15th 2007, and again restarted it at 30 august 2009

markuz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Upgrade 1.5 -> 1.5

Post by markuz » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:22 pm

Shiftley,

Yes, it is possible to just overwrite the older files with a newer nighly build.

But beware:
Before the operation check CHANGELOG.php if a reinstall is required. This is not very likely to happen, since the database schema is finished/complete and wouldn't need to be changed anymore.

Cheers,
Mark

Addition: Joomla! 1.5 beta2 is still beta and not meant for live sites. I suppose you're using this 1.5 in a testing environment.
Last edited by markuz on Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swiftly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by swiftly » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:43 pm

Hi Mark, yes and no, I use it for a live site, but it is all just still in beta,...both the sites cms as it's content. But it is nice to keep the content, so i not have to rewrite it when 1.5 is final. Also a few members already registerd at my site,...would be a waist to not keep them ...  :)

Maybe I should install 1.0, but i feel, maybe that will give problems upgrading to 1.5...or maybe later to 2.0 :'(

Thanks for your help,...i'll try it..
Jack

It's running from 2004, i restarted it at july 15th 2007, and again restarted it at 30 august 2009

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:08 pm

You can't 'just' overwrite the old files, since a lot of files have been deleted and the leftover files would play havoc with your system. You also should consider, that we still are changing some parameters, which may break your installation at some point. This to say: An update from beta2 to RC and later to Final is not going to be so easy.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

swiftly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by swiftly » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:20 pm

You mean, some data of the tables in the database are changed too?

I believe many people (include testers ...see above) are doing this overwriting.
Would it be better first delete all from the server, then write the latest version?
Jack

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:32 pm

You would have to go through all changed code to see if it is necessary and you would then also have to take into account if that change of code has any impact on your site, etc. etc. Its really complicated to give you an answer on this one, so I'm going the easy way here and saying: Allways clean out the server and then make a clean install.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:06 pm

If you're just testing, then you could just as well overwrite files...  When you go live, you will want to create a fresh extract from the archive and then manually copy over your added files.

Your data should for the most part be okay from Beta2 to live.  With the exception that there has recently been an update to how passwords are used and stored in the database.  Thus you should reset all of your passwords so that they are stored in a secure manner.

There was a parameter review taking place between beta2 and RC, so you may find that things there are a little weird.  You would therefore probably want to resave all your articles and menu items to make sure they have the proper data.

Ian

aimforgrowth
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aimforgrowth » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:10 pm

How can I just save the "data" (articles, etc), remove all other files from the server, do a fresh nightly build install, and then copy the "articles, etc." back?

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:23 pm

well, most of the 'data' is stored in the database.  The only files you would have to worry about would be extensions that you installed and media that you uploaded.

Ian

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:26 pm

Just making sure I understand this correctly (and I apologize for my lack of knowledge on something thats probably really basic), but if I uninstalled Joomla! completely and did a fresh install, right after that install my site would look the same (assuming I was using the same template, and ignoring global config stuff that might affect it a bit) as it did before my uninstall/reinstall?  All my articles and menus and whatnot would be the same?

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:33 pm

Well, by saying 'Uninstall completely' you are implying that you are deleting the database, which you don't really want to do.

I will say this:
If you were to make a backup of the configuration.php file, delete all other files, and then unpackage the new archive to the same directory, and then restore your configuration.php file, then your site would like exactly the same.

Ian

aimforgrowth
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aimforgrowth » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:45 pm

That's EXACTLY what I needed to hear.

Hello Joomla 1.5 Nightly Build!

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:46 pm

As long as I save the database, does it really matter what happens to the Joomla! files, as long as when I reinstall, I tell it to use the same database?  If, say, I copy my database from one server to another, and then install Joomla! on the new server, can I just point it to the database I copied over and tell it to use all my articles and things in that database?  (Sorry, trying to plan ahead for RC's not being able to read the Nightly Build databases here, worst case scenario is I recreate everything on a test server and the just move it over to the real server... at least, I'm hoping things work that way and thats worst case)

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:03 pm

See:

http://help.joomla.org/component/option ... temid,268/

The process is very similar, although some of the configuration value names have changed in 1.5.  Just look through the configuration.php file and change anything that needs to be changed.

Ian

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:06 pm

So its definitely doable then.  And it looks simple too, only three steps :)

Thanks very much for your help with this (its good to know that everything'll go fine when its time to upload the site to the web, and again when changing to an RC) :)

swiftly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by swiftly » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:11 pm

ianmac wrote: Well, by saying 'Uninstall completely' you are implying that you are deleting the database, which you don't really want to do.

I will say this:
If you were to make a backup of the configuration.php file, delete all other files, and then unpackage the new archive to the same directory, and then restore your configuration.php file, then your site would like exactly the same.

Ian
Thanks Ian, very helpfull!!!
Last edited by swiftly on Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Robin
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Robin » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:28 am

Moderator note: moving from Development 1.5 to New J1.5 Forum Section

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”