Joomla! 1.5 and phpBB 3 Integration

For Joomla! 1.5 Coding related discussions, please use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general
Forum rules
Please use the mailing list here: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general rather than this forum.
Quintrixer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla! 1.5 and phpBB 3 Integration

Post by Quintrixer » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:36 pm

Hello, I'm about the bridge to merge Joomla! 1.5 & phpBB 3.
Both systems allready have their Realease Candidates (RCs), that means there will be no mayor changes in the core (except security bugfixes).
In the case of that, the development of the Joomla! 1.5 & phpBB 3 bridge can be certainly started.
Let it be the head-topic of this thing.
Waiting for news and announcements! Congrats, Quintrixer.
Last edited by Quintrixer on Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jderosa3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Joomla! 1.5 and phpBB 3 Integration

Post by jderosa3 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:01 pm

I started a thread about this about a month ago on PHPBB forums:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... lit=joomla

might be some interesting things there about this topic...

there is also this site that possibly will make a bridge:

http://www.elearningforce.biz/bridges/j ... forum.html

I can't wait to see a stable release of a bridge... I really need one. Seems to me that PHPBB is a better forum software than the FireBoard component. That's just my 2 cents though.

Look forward to seeing this thread grow.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:05 am

Quintrixer wrote: Hello, I'm about the bridge to merge Joomla! 1.5 & phpBB 3.
You are about to become one of the most popular people in all of Joomla! Land.  8)

Thanks!
Amy :)

Quintrixer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Quintrixer » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:34 pm

AmyStephen wrote:
Quintrixer wrote: Hello, I'm about the bridge to merge Joomla! 1.5 & phpBB 3.
You are about to become one of the most popular people in all of Joomla! Land.  8)

Thanks!
I'm not a good programmer, but I'll look at the Mehdi >>phpBB 2 + Joomla! 1.0<< bridge and try to make something out of it.
Thanks to you, Amy!

EDIT: Maybe someone with bigger PHP knowledge could see what's in ? http://www.mehdiplugins.com/misc/phpbbjoom.htm I think It will not be so hard to make it compatible with Joomla! 1.5 & phpBB 3.
Thanks, folks!
Last edited by Quintrixer on Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:09 pm

I am quite certain others will help - so - don't be afraid to post questions. This is going to be *hugely* important to this community and doing it right is important.

Thanks very much, Quintrixer!  8)
Amy

exrace
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by exrace » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:54 am

Hummmmm...  :pop
Love, Live PHP.
Love, Live Joomla!
Super Sonic Man...do you want to buy a RockeTheme rocket? -Gary Jules

RedEye
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by RedEye » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:39 am

Quintrixer wrote: EDIT: Maybe someone with bigger PHP knowledge could see what's in ? http://www.mehdiplugins.com/misc/phpbbjoom.htm I think It will not be so hard to make it compatible with Joomla! 1.5 & phpBB 3.
Thanks, folks!
I have send you a pm Quintrixer.
For me personally I want a small and simple solution that don`t modify core files.
I think about two plugins, auth plugin for phpBB that uses the Joomla users table and a user plugin for Joomla, will sit down on this at the weekend when I have some time.
Any Ideas/Suggestions on this are much appreciated.
jderosa3 wrote: there is also this site that possibly will make a bridge:

http://www.elearningforce.biz/bridges/j ... forum.html
right, but the most users don`t want to pay 80 bucks for a bridge

Quintrixer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Quintrixer » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:45 pm

Hi RedEye,
I would help in making a bridge from zero if i would inderstand the PHP enough to make something...
Sorry, just the Mehdi's bridge is the housing what I can try to edit.
Whatever I'll do what I can.
Thanks, folks!

baijianpeng
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by baijianpeng » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:45 pm

RedEye wrote: For me personally I want a small and simple solution that don`t modify core files.
Yes, I also think hacking the core is a expensive choice. It may hurt the integration with other 3rd party programs. It is UNfair !

So I never use Mehdi's bridge.
JoomlaGate - Chinese Joomla Users' Portal

http://www.joomlagate.com

exrace
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by exrace » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:32 am

It is near impossible to do a "true" integration without some kind of modification to the core files or the forums files.
Otherwise it is done like the Jommla site here...the forum is skinned to look like the Joomla site and it runs standalone.

Not a choice many communities want to make.
Love, Live PHP.
Love, Live Joomla!

baijianpeng
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by baijianpeng » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:27 am

Definitely NOT true.

I know that Orstio's bridge can make SMF 1.1.2 integrated with Joomla 1.0.12 without hacking of core files from any party. If you care the layout, just install some special theme for SMF to make it look like Joomla.

I also konw that one of those Commercial Licensed bridge, maybe named Joomphpbb, can bridge Joomla 1.0.12 and phpbb 2.0 together without any hack of core files. Again, you only need to edit the template or CSS to make the whole site unified in skin.
JoomlaGate - Chinese Joomla Users' Portal

http://www.joomlagate.com

Sil3nt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sil3nt » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:33 am

Hello,

I'm currently working on a Gallery2 J!1.5 bridge but I'll be intressted in a board bridge for joomla too as i'm building a community site.

I currently didn't find any good native J!1.5 component to implement a native/bridged board for joomla (fireboard / smf ...), so I think it would be an interessting projekt. 8) Hopefully this can be solved without any core hacks!!

chris

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:37 pm

I don't think core hacks should be required with Joomla! v 1.5. See Johan's comments about plugins.

Quintrixer - have you set up a project using the JoomlaCode.org forge? It might be a good idea so that you can involve others, as much as possible and so multiple projects don't start sprouting up. There is lots of interest popping up, as we would all expect!
Keep up the good work! On Saturday, phpBB RC4 was announced! Is there something we can download yet? hehehe! just kidding!  ;) (Get used to hearing that!)

Quintrixer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Quintrixer » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:43 pm

AmyStephen wrote: I don't think core hacks should be required with Joomla! v 1.5. See Johan's comments about plugins.

Quintrixer - have you set up a project using the JoomlaCode.org forge? It might be a good idea so that you can involve others, as much as possible and so multiple projects don't start sprouting up. There is lots of interest popping up, as we would all expect!
Keep up the good work! On Saturday, phpBB RC4 was announced! Is there something we can download yet? hehehe! just kidding!  ;) (Get used to hearing that!)
The thing is not moving due to the lack of my php knowledge, I'm just researching the db system of phpBB 3 & Joomla! 1.5 now and looking for niches to solutions.
Last edited by Quintrixer on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:49 pm

We need to find you a team! Is anyone else with good programming and Joomla! v 1.5 skills willing to join in? Perhaps to take a lead on this? This is guaranteed to be a big deal! (lots of ungrateful and demanding end users!  :laugh:) Might make sense to connect to some phpBB types, too. If you are interested in helping, post in here and let's see what interest and skills are available. Keep digging Q!

Quintrixer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Quintrixer » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:00 pm

AmyStephen wrote: We need to find you a team! Is anyone else with good programming and Joomla! v 1.5 skills willing to join in? Perhaps to take a lead on this? This is guaranteed to be a big deal! (lots of ungrateful and demanding end users!  :laugh:) Might make sense to connect to some phpBB types, too. If you are interested in helping, post in here and let's see what interest and skills are available. Keep digging Q!

It’s nevertheless that there can be core changes in RC 5 and other, so I won't start working on this, because the work can go to nothing, and patching can get too buggy. I was not right when talking that there will be no core changes - there can be.
I wish I could to lead and/or help making the plugin but I'm a rookie In this, and I leave this to people who really can work out this.
My site recently got suspended, so my mood is pretty smashed up.
Talk to ya' later, Amy, thank for the support, I'm still doing what I can.
Sorry for my bad English, this is because I'm not in the mood about talking about something.
Thanks, maybe angel Gabriel will show me the way ;]]

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:08 pm

No problem Quintrixer! Hang in there. Keep watching this thread and hopefully soon someone will take the lead on this effort.

The phpBB3 connection is important - your instincts are good. If you are interested in learning more about Joomla! v 1.5 MVC architecture, Ian put together great tutorials.

So, who wants to lead this phpBB3 bridge?

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:06 pm

It is near impossible to do a "true" integration without some kind of modification to the core files or the forums files.
Otherwise it is done like the Jommla site here...the forum is skinned to look like the Joomla site and it runs standalone.
Not True...Even Less true for the 1.5 Architecture...1.5 is supposed to have some API routines to plug in your own ACL system. Not sure if that actually made it into the RC that is out but you should contact the Devs to see how that would work and if it solves any problems.

I would think the cookie system is the hardest part to tackle. To truly bridge the two you need both to recognize their users from the same cookie. The User:Pass authentication is the easy part it is a simple DB read and compare.

I would also suggest that anyone who decides to take on this project should pepper the J! devs on what their plans are for the ACL system roadmapped to a possible V1.6...(they may not know yet but if you work with them maybe you can help them as much as they would be helping you on the task of how to do ACL so it can be easily integrated into.

AzzX
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AzzX » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:10 am

Been messing with phpbb3 for a while - Its a great system.

There is a bit of talk about a possible bridge being released via Rocketwerx for Joomla 1.5.

In the meantime theres always the http://cbconnector.com/ which integrates Joomla, CB and phpbb2&3

rhuk
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by rhuk » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:12 am

I can confirm that RocketWerx is indeed working on a non-invasive synchronous/asynchronos joomla1.5/phpbb3 bridge.  Work is progressing well and we're currently have about 75% of the functionality done and working.
rhuk
http://www.rockettheme.com - RocketTheme Template Club
http://www.rockettheme.com/aff - RocketTheme Affiliate Program

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:27 pm

rhuk wrote: I can confirm that RocketWerx is indeed working on a non-invasive synchronous/asynchronos joomla1.5/phpbb3 bridge.  Work is progressing well and we're currently have about 75% of the functionality done and working.
That is great, great news, Andy! My guess is it will get a bit of use. Thanks for all you do.

kevins
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kevins » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:15 pm

Rhuk, great to hear rocketwerx is working on a bridge!
Is there an info page about this project? Where I (we) can find updates/changes about this bridge from rocketwerx? I mean a sort of "status" page?

I think lots and lots of people are looking forward to this bridge.

Thank you!

exrace
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by exrace » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:59 pm

I am sure it will be posted here... :pop
http://www.rocketwerx.com&nbsp;
Love, Live PHP.
Love, Live Joomla!

BoNfiRe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BoNfiRe » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:57 pm

Oooh... Any news thus far on the progress ?

I know you only posted this a short while ago but been googling like an insane googler trying to find a solution but with no luck :P ;D

geeffland
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by geeffland » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:11 pm

Interesting thread... stumbled on this thread while checking cbconnector.com references.

I am the developer of the CB Connector with is a Community Builder plugin which bridges Joomla! and Community Builder with phpbb (both phpbb2 and phpbb3)... It is licensed as LGPL so it should play nicely with both Joomla!'s new licensing stance and that of phpbb...

Currently CB Connector (CBC) is in a limited release Alpha testing stage.  Its predecessor "phpbb connector" has seen a good bit of use for bridging Joomla!/CB with phpbb2. 

CBC v2 will originally be released for the Joomla! 1.0.x series but since J1.5 is getting closer I expect a J1.5 version to be released shortly there after.  I had looked at an earlier branch for J1.5 (before RC releases) so it will take some effort to convert it up to J1.5.

CBC v2 is nearing hopefully its last Alpha release and once the testers give a green light then it will go to either a public beta or a public final version based on their input.

I will keep watching this thread...

Greg
Thanks,
Greg
CB Connector (CBC) Developer
CBC is a Community Builder Plugin to allow connection of Joomla! 1.0.x and Community Builder to a Categories Hierarchy, phpbb2, or phpbb3 forum.

jderosa3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jderosa3 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:39 pm

I know I am not the only one that would want to see stats of where this project is...

RocketWerx.com has not been updated with any information (I am not complaining...) Any news on this subject is it in alpha stage yet?

Any info for us curious minds would be greatly appreciated!

A big thank you goes out to all the team members working on this as well - this is a huge leap forward and I am very appreciative. Look forward to seeing something soon.

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:40 am

exrace wrote: I am sure it will be posted here... :pop
http://www.rocketwerx.com&nbsp;
No info yet on that link and RC 5 of phpbb is released this friday...hope they come up with some info soon... would be a killer app if Joomla 1.5 and phpbb 3.0 could be seamless integrated together with SSO and profiling!  :P
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

nd90irish
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nd90irish » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:12 pm

I noticed a couple of folks in this thread indicated they were looking at developing the phpbb3 to joomla 1.5 bridge.  Are any of you looking at the visual integration as well (i.e., having phpbb be a joomla component so you can resuse the joomla headers, etc.) or are people focusing on only the database bridge aspect? 

Thanks

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:17 am

nd90irish wrote: I noticed a couple of folks in this thread indicated they were looking at developing the phpbb3 to joomla 1.5 bridge.  Are any of you looking at the visual integration as well (i.e., having phpbb be a joomla component so you can resuse the joomla headers, etc.) or are people focusing on only the database bridge aspect? 

Thanks
Very good points! Hope this will be the case!
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

kevins
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kevins » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:49 pm

For those who wan't some more info:
Andy Miller wrote: Re: phpBB 3 bridge to Joomla! 1.5...
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 08:59:59 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nothing is going to happen this month. We (RocketWerx) are still working on the bridge.  RocketTheme is already slammed with doing the Sep template plus the 1.5 conversions and some other stuff
2 weeks later:
Andy Miller wrote: Re: phpBB 3 bridge to Joomla! 1.5...
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 12:01:16 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
it's pretty much done.. only one part is left that will be done next week.. That is the phpbb to joomla profile sync.  The joomla to phpbb side is working fine, login/logout etc is also fine.  I'm going to start testing it this week, but things are looking good for a very nice/clean and efficient solution.
Forum link: http://www.rockettheme.com/option,com_s ... c,16640.0/
Last edited by kevins on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Coding”