Joomla install by fantastico removed by Bluehost

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Timeline
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla install by fantastico removed by Bluehost

Post by Timeline » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:46 pm

The fantastico install of Joomla has been removed by Bluehost.  I called Bluehost tech support and they reported the 1.5 installation version was broken and to contact Joomla.  They do not offer the 1x version via fantastico.  I have several websites on Bluehost that use the Joomla CMS.  Has anyone experienced this issue?  Should I try to manually install the 1.5 version?  The fantatico install makes everything so simple.  Any help or advice is much appreciated.

m4him
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Joomla install by fantastico removed by Bluehost

Post by m4him » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:30 pm

I noticed the same.  I manually installed 1.5 on BlueHost and it runs fine, the install was not a problem.  Note that this was a fresh install.  I am new with Joomla so I can not tell you how to upgrade to 1.5 over a previous installation.

To install 1.5 the best way is to ask BlueHost support for telnet access.  There is a BIG caution though about their TAR file.  It does not follow the standard for untaring the file.  It dumps the untar into the directory that the tar file is in.  It does not create a new directory and put it in there.  So tar -zxvf

cd public_html
tar -zxvf Joomla-1.5RC.tar.gz
puts it into the public_html directory not
public_html/Joomla-1.5RC
as you would expect.
This is a really bummer if you have an index.php file in the public_html directory as it will be overwritten.  I did and it was.
so just make a directory copy the tar ball into it and then unzip
or follow the Joomla install documentation

You could also use the unzip on Windows and ftp it over.

You can use Cpanel to setup your databases and username/password.  You will need to ask someone else or search the docs on how to upgrade the DB to the 1.5 version if you are putting it on top of another site.

Shame on BlueHost, they did that 2 days ago.  They had 1.0.13 on there.  What they told you made no sense.  They should have waited for the release version of 1.5 anyway.  If they have install issues with 1.5 at least leave 1.0.13 on there.  Maybe they have some buddies over there at that other CMS site and they don't like all the features in 1.5.  I will try to email support and complain also.

m4him
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by m4him » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:57 pm

I received the following from Blue Host

Joomla has been taken off the installation list due to bugs in the scripting.  It will be available as soon as the bugs are fixed.  As this is done through cpanel we do not have an eta as of yet.

Eric Treu
Level 1 Support
BlueHost.com

gibson71
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gibson71 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:23 pm

I called Bluehost about an issue with Joomla 1.0.12, I noticed that you cannot make new category or section in the admin panel, so I began looking for a patch or soulition and found out that Joomla 1.0.12 will not be supported because of a newer version joomla 1.0.13. I don't know if this is a reason why 1.5 is no longer available via fantastico.  >:(

maranate
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by maranate » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:37 pm

m4him wrote: I noticed the same.  I manually installed 1.5 on BlueHost and it runs fine, the install was not a problem.  Note that this was a fresh install.  I am new with Joomla so I can not tell you how to upgrade to 1.5 over a previous installation.

To install 1.5 the best way is to ask BlueHost support for telnet access.  There is a BIG caution though about their TAR file.  It does not follow the standard for untaring the file.  It dumps the untar into the directory that the tar file is in.  It does not create a new directory and put it in there.  So tar -zxvf

cd public_html
public_html/Joomla-1.5RC
as you would expect.
This is a really bummer if you have an index.php file in the public_html directory as it will be overwritten.  I did and it was.

You can use Cpanel to setup your databases and username/password.  You will need to ask someone else or search the docs on how to upgrade the DB to the 1.5 version if you are putting it on top of another site.

Shame on BlueHost, they did that 2 days ago.  They had 1.0.13 on there.  What they told you made no sense.  They should have waited for the release version of 1.5 anyway.  If they have install issues with 1.5 at least leave 1.0.13 on there.  Maybe they have some buddies over there at that other CMS site and they don't like all the features in 1.5.   I will try to email support and complain also.
Can't you just use FileManager to upload and extract the file?
Christina

gibson71
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gibson71 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:31 pm

maranate wrote:
m4him wrote: I noticed the same.  I manually installed 1.5 on BlueHost and it runs fine, the install was not a problem.  Note that this was a fresh install.  I am new with Joomla so I can not tell you how to upgrade to 1.5 over a previous installation.

cd public_html
public_html/Joomla-1.5RC
as you would expect.

Shame on BlueHost, they did that 2 days ago.  They had 1.0.13 on there.  What they told you made no sense.  They should have waited for the release version of 1.5 anyway.  If they have install issues with 1.5 at least leave 1.0.13 on there.  Maybe they have some buddies over there at that other CMS site and they don't like all the features in 1.5.   I will try to email support and complain also.
Can't you just use FileManager to upload and extract the file?
"For Bluehost"
Yes you can unzip any version of joomla and FTP to a root directory. Example: http://yoursite.com or http://yoursite.com/joomlafolder. Then you want to set up a database and add a user to that database. (mySql admin area) Once you are done the database, you will be ready to install joomla via the web browser. Open your browser an point to the address you FTP your joomla installation and follow the instructions. I have done this many times, I know its not as easy as pushing a few buttons on bluehost but it will work fine.

maranate
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by maranate » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:44 pm

On Bluehost, and any other provider that has cPanel, you don't have to unzip first then FTP.  You can go into cPanel, then use Filemanager to upload the zipped file.  The you can use Filemanager to extract the file on the server.  It's actually the main reason I always want a host with cPanel because it is much faster than using FTP to transfer all of the unzipped files over, and you don't have to worry about corruption on FTP.
Christina

gibson71
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gibson71 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:51 pm

maranate wrote: On Bluehost, and any other provider that has cPanel, you don't have to unzip first then FTP.  You can go into cPanel, then use Filemanager to upload the zipped file.  The you can use Filemanager to extract the file on the server.  It's actually the main reason I always want a host with cPanel because it is much faster than using FTP to transfer all of the unzipped files over, and you don't have to worry about corruption on FTP.
Never tried it like that but it sounds like a better idea  8) thanks.

tnpa
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tnpa » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:49 pm

Hello All,

NOT only Bluehost no longer has Fantastico, but ohter webhosting services do the same as well. 

Most host services with Cpanel.com/Fantastico
It is not Fantastico slowly update to new version of Joomla.
We got caught in the middle.

Either Fantastico catches a problem with new version of Joomla, or Fantastico and Joomla.org are having an issue?

Tnpa

gibson71
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gibson71 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:14 pm

tnpa wrote: Hello All,

NOT only Bluehost no longer has Fantastico, but ohter webhosting services do the same as well. 

Most host services with Cpanel.com/Fantastico
It is not Fantastico slowly update to new version of Joomla.
We got caught in the middle.

Either Fantastico catches a problem with new version of Joomla, or Fantastico and Joomla.org are having an issue?

Tnpa
This is what happened....  Bluehost upgraded their cPanel to a newer version, also changed from Joomla 1.0.11 to 1.0.12, I installed the new version via fantastico for a client. After I spent hours working the graphics I started to try and add a category and a section and I could not, joomla 1.0.12 has a problem with that. I searched these forums and found out that 1.0.12 will not be supported or patched due to the newer version. So this problem has no solution. so about 2 weeks ago I had called bluehost about another issue and decided to let them know about the bad software they were offering to us. My thought were... they would install the old version 1.0.11 back for us to use. My guess is that once they have a good tested version to upgrade to, they will. I have been with Bluehost for about 4 years now and have never had any issues like this one. Has anyone called to find out what their plans are??  :D

rliskey
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by rliskey » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:36 am

and decided to let them know about the bad software they were offering to us
Joomla! 1.0.12 is not "bad software."

I wouldn't call it unsupported either. Version 1.0.13 is proof that that line continues to be supported. Version 1.0.12 is in good shape. Version 1.0.13 just adds a few low-level fixes (low level means, "nothing to get worked up about").

If you can't get Sections and Categories working, it's not exactly a Joomla 1.0.12 problem. There are many thousands of sites running 1.0.12 without trouble. You need to investigate deeper.

gibson71
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gibson71 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:07 am

Well they removed it... theres your proof that 1.0.12 is not supported, that is the version on bluehost that had the trouble. For bluehost to offer Joomla it must be a stable and supported. If the problem was with joomla or the installation I have no idea. The bottom line is that they removed 1.0.11 and upgraded to 1.0.12 and that had trouble with the saving of categories and sections. Now both are not available. I am just a customer of bluehost and a avid user of joomla. When I say "bad software" I meant the installation of Joomla not Joomla as being "bad software". Don't get to bent out of shape, I love joomla and was not bad mouthing it. I was simply trying to let people know why Joomla was removed from Bluehost to my knowledge.

One thing I don't understand is, how come I found in this forum that this issue was reported and there is not a fix, also stated that it will not be fixed for the reason a newer version has taken its place? That information is what I reported to bluehost after wasting my time with a corrupt installation.
Last edited by gibson71 on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

thephanatik
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by thephanatik » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:04 am

I found the same thing when I was going to install Joomla! on another website yesterday. I'm using HostMonster (same company as bluehost, but $1 cheaper and more bandwidth, storage, etc)

I really hope they get this fixed. Easy installation of Joomla was one of the biggest reasons I told people around them.

gibson71
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gibson71 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:08 am

gibson71 wrote:
maranate wrote: On Bluehost, and any other provider that has cPanel, you don't have to unzip first then FTP.  You can go into cPanel, then use Filemanager to upload the zipped file.  The you can use Filemanager to extract the file on the server.  It's actually the main reason I always want a host with cPanel because it is much faster than using FTP to transfer all of the unzipped files over, and you don't have to worry about corruption on FTP.
Never tried it like that but it sounds like a better idea  8) thanks.

OK, just got done loading Joomla 1.0.13 in Bluehost with the file manager, thanks that was much faster and i see what you mean about FTPing the files over and over(what a waste of time :P ). The only bad thing is that you still need to set up the data base manually (not a big deal)

I also just got off the phone with Bluehost about the 1.0.12 version and they informed that they are waiting for Joomla to provide them with a fantastico installation that works, something along those lines. So I guess we will not have the easy fantastico installation for a bit longer  >:(

Geoff
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Geoff » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:42 am

@gibson

From Fantastico support forum
While we do our best to update current installations performed through Fantastico, this is not the primary scope of Fantastico which has never advertised or promised this. We can't even promise to always install the latest available version of a script as we need some time to code our part in order to include the latest version.
http://www.netenberg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=997

The Joomla! does not create a Fantastico installation, the Fantastico team does.

Background on Fantastico
Wikipedia Entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastico_(web_hosting)
Backup, backup, backup!
The "Master" .htacess file by Nicholas http://snipt.net/nikosdion/the-master-htaccess

geekette
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by geekette » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:20 am

I experienced the same thing with hostmonster.  I'm still puzzling why Fantastico removed the 1.0.12 version if if they weren't planning to make the .13 or 1.5 versions available soon.
Wilma Howell
Joomla! User Group - Dallas / Fort Worth / joomladallas.org

gibson71
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gibson71 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:47 am

geekette wrote: I experienced the same thing with hostmonster.  I'm still puzzling why Fantastico removed the 1.0.12 version if if they weren't planning to make the .13 or 1.5 versions available soon.
Because it was a bad installation, you couldn't add, save or edit the catagories or sections in 1.0.12 thats why they removed it. they are waiting on a new instalation. from whoever, where ever.......

ski69
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ski69 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:33 pm

I am and have been a customer of Bluehost for quite a while and have many sites with them.....Joomla 1.0.13 was released July 21st.....The Bluehost support people told me thats when they removed the Fantastico/Joomla install. I have installed and upgraded sites using Fantastico with version 1.0.12 all fine! It appears that they removed it because of version 1.0.13.  But I cannot absolutely confirm this...may be just a coincidence.  ???

Also, there is no ETA as to when this will be fixed...according to support. But it sounds like Bluehost is pointing the finger at Joomla.

I am more apt to think this is a Fantastico/cpanel issue than Joomla.  Bluehost recently upgraded thier cpanel to 11...which according to cpanel's site is a major upgrade to backend code. Hmmmmmmmm.....

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

1 other thing.....why are Bluehost customers not being notified by email of this issue and of the status? I am sure they have a very large Joomla customer base......I would imagine this is not good for business.....especially when they still have it listed in there "Hosting Features".

tnpa
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tnpa » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:28 pm

Hello All,

Joomla is back in Fantastico.

Fantastico has loaded Joomla back in most hosting services.  Check out.

Tnpa

melloRider
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by melloRider » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:40 am

Bluehost offers installation for 1.5.8 in their Simple scripts. It is in the same area as Fantastico on cPanel.

Trying it now!

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”