Joomla vs xoops

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Wammes
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla vs xoops

Post by Wammes » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:36 pm

Hello all,

since the beginning of xoops I use xoops for my website. I like it and it works fine, but I'm more and more doubting if I made the right choice.
I have a site with about 200 users, about 100 of them active.
I like to put my users in groups with different userrights. So I have a group of forum moderators, I have a special group which has administration rights on my news module. And I have a group that has admin rights on my calendar.

Is Joomla right for me? How good is joomla with usergroups compared to xoops (please be honest).

And -also important-, can I migrate my user accounts to joomla?

Thank you very much!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Joomla vs xoops

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:50 pm

Wammes -

Really, you can't expect to go into the support forums for a specific project and expect an unbiased, objective comparison. Most of us, myself included, have not used XOOPs. I've heard good things about it.

Here are some getting started ideas:
  • You could look at many open source CMS's.
  • You could review the documentation - there is a User's Guide "behind" the Help link, above. In it, you will find information on user groups and rights, etc.
  • You could download Joomla! and play with it.
  • You could Google and look at comparisons.
  • Community is most important in a CMS, IMO. Look at the forums and see if people are there and questions are answered and if it is friendly.
Anything can be migrated if you have the right database skills or are willing to hire it done, so, I don't see that as an issue, regardless of the CMS you wind up with.

Then, after doing some basic, background work, you'll have very specific questions to ask. No one really knows if Joomla! is right for you, except you. And, there probably isn't "just one open source CMS" that would meet your needs.

Best of luck to you!
Amy :)

Edit: play not pay, oops!
Last edited by AmyStephen on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wammes
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Wammes » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:30 pm

Amy,

thanks for your answer. Guess the community is quite strong here.
I asked the same question in the xoops forums :). I'm not expecting an unbiased answer. I'd like answers from joomla-users en from xoops-users so I can compare them.
I tried Joomla on a demo site. I couldn't find anything about usergroups or something. But maybe joomla can do it in a different way or something. I guess I just need to spend more time playing with joomla.
Unfortunately there is no migration script, but I think I can play witn the database.
I'll definately check out the users guide.

The reason I'm looking for an other cms that I don't like the direction xoops is heading. I think the development is slowed down by a lot of factors. And my first impression here at joomla was quite good.

I agree that there is no cms that is perfect, but I's like to use one where I have faith in.

Again, thank you for your answer
Last edited by Wammes on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roundtrip
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by roundtrip » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:15 pm

I'm also considering moving away from XOOPS to Joomla, but I'm waiting for the 1.5 final release. Real shame, as XOOPS really was the dog's proverbials way back when I started to use it.

XOOPS development seems to have went complete awry of late, in fact it probably happened a few years ago! The development is now no existent and recent releases have only been put out to fix security vulnerabilities. From a position of being one of the best, the core team have allowed all the competing CMSes to catch up and in many cases surpass what XOOPS has to offer.

Bottomline, I think you're making the correct move. I've looked at a number of CMSes of late and Joomla stands out from the crowd. Typo3 also looks very good but seems to be very complex and has a step learning curve when compared with Joomla.

Hope that helps.

christopherMexico
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by christopherMexico » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:48 pm

CMS are like Operating systems, one gets better and then the other and then another.  Instead of asking which is better I would agree with Amy, in that you should look at the guides, forum, etc. to find out which is best for you.
Perhaps you could make a list of needs that you have now and features that would correspond. Try out the CMS that seem to meet most of those needs and then decide which to keep before you put real content on your site.

I ended up with a mixed solution I use Wordpress on all of my sites as a blog.  Some of my sites use it exclusively while others also have a joomla install with a similiar template and similiar colors for those things that wordpress can't do like custom menus and IFRAMEs. My oldest site is a mix of php apps, Wordpress blog,  javascript games and static html. I am working toward migrating the php apps and html files into the Joomla and Wordpress parts.

You might find that you'll need to have a mixed environment or pay a PHP programmer to make modifications.

good luck

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”