vBulletin Integration Plugin - Almost Alpha

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
bugfaceuk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

vBulletin Integration Plugin - Almost Alpha

Post by bugfaceuk » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:23 pm

So first off, congratulations to the entire Joomla! Development community, I've just downloaded RC3 and it is absolutely fantastic! I've just managed to build two plugins (one authentication and one user) to authenticate against, and load users from a vBulletin database (which can be stored on a different host/database if needed). All without changing a single line of code outside the plugin in either vBulletin or Joomla!

So first question is, is there a demand for this? It actually stores all the user data in vBulletin rather than Joomla! meaning that there are no sync/update issues, but user management from an Admin perspective is all done in vBulletin. For my purposes that suits me, I really don't care where, as long as there is just one place!

Anyhow, once again a hearty congratulations to the team, I've been able to build what I wanted to years ago, but couldn't without hacking core files making upgrading sites a nightmare.

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: vBulletin Integration Plugin - Almost Alpha

Post by mariusvr » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:05 am

Hey,

Just written an authentication plugin for vbulletin too. Should have done a search on the forum before starting it  ;D Just remembered that a lot of people were complaining about a lack of vbulletin integration (including me).

Maybe we could compare notes, open a project on the forge and share it as an extention.

Cheers, Marius
JFusion is a revolutionary new universal user integration tool for Joomla. Visit http://www.jfusion.org for more details.

bugfaceuk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bugfaceuk » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:49 am

I'd love to do that. I made some design decisions that certainly have pro's-con's that I would be really interested to see how you tackled them and we could figure out what the best approach was (and if we both made the same decision.... we can assume it is CEARLY the correct one!)

I'll drop you an e-mail to get us rolling.

fechten
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fechten » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:14 pm

I am very interested in this - I just need to log users in to Joomla using the VB system.  I don't want to have the Author drop-down lists to be populated by my forum members who just come in to read, but I'd like to limit access to some sections for registered users and everyone is already in vBulletin.

If you want someone else to test, let me know.  Email is craig AT fencing.net

Thanks,
Craig

bugfaceuk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bugfaceuk » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:16 pm

eMail in your inbox ;-)

bugfaceuk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bugfaceuk » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:06 pm

Just to let a few of the people who were watching this thread know. We have a project set-up and have done quite a bit of development on this plug-in. Marius and I had very different requirements from the integration, so we decide to have two different modes.

Here are the features for the first release:

- Single sign-in
- Component: Configure and Control your Integration with helpful feedback confirming correct configuration
- Two modes of working:
    o Joomla! Slave - Joomla mirrors vBulletin, with Joomla! users automatically created on demand.
    o vBulletin Only - Single user database in vBulletin, no users in Joomla, Joomla permissions controlled in vBulletin
- Special Login Module to allow you to use vBulletin as your master user-database (works in both modes)
- vBulletin Database can be on a different machine or database, or the same one.
- NO modifications to core files in either system, all done through proper plug-in mechanisms.

Hats of to the Joomla team, 1.5 rocks.

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:51 am

I'm excited that the plugin (called vbLink) is almost ready for its release. As an update, bugface's plugin was more sophisticated than mine and we decided to use his plugin to develop further. The first release will have the "vbulletin mode" only, as it is a great clean way to integrate Joomla and vbulletin.

No more need to replace core files, spent 30 minutes changing configuration files like with previous bidge solutions. Thanks to Joomla 1.5 this integration can be done with a plugin. Some of the features of of vbLink are:

- Just install the plugin, configure and publish the plugin to get up and running
- No changes to the Joomla core, no manual uploading of files, and no synchronization issues between tables.
- Vbulletin can be installed on the same or a remote db server
- If Joomla and Vbulletin are on the same server, the only config value needed is the path to vbulletin. (installer will auto-config the rest)

Sent us an email if you are interested in testing the pre-release. Cheers, Marius
JFusion is a revolutionary new universal user integration tool for Joomla. Visit http://www.jfusion.org for more details.

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:00 am

yeeh, we have an alpha release :laugh:

You can download it on:

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/vbauth/frs/

Please let us know if you have any problems or feedback.

Cheers, Marius

DCB
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DCB » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:54 pm

Very interested in this, i've been wanting to use vbulletin for a long time, but haven't had faith in the bridges available.

bugfaceuk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bugfaceuk » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:10 pm

I think what is nice about our approach is that it doesn't attempt to keep two databases in sync. I think there are potentially one or two issues to resolve but this makes it a very safe install/uninstall.

DCB
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DCB » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:14 pm

I do have to say that to make this a truly usable solution there does need to be full integration where a user login allows them to access all members only content properly. Perhaps I misread, but it doesn't seem to work with other components that require users to be logged in.

bugfaceuk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bugfaceuk » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:32 pm

Not that's not right at all. The permissions are fully implemented and managed from vBulletin.

DCB
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DCB » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:42 pm

bugfaceuk wrote: Not that's not right at all. The permissions are fully implemented and managed from vBulletin.
hmmm ok, i was just going on what I saw here:

http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/
Since no entry is made in the Joomla user table, other Joomla components can not see the userlist. Components such as virtuemart will therefore not work with this plugin.

bugfaceuk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bugfaceuk » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:44 pm

So plugins trying to list all users list may have an issue, plugins using the permissions system will not. That is, you can still have an author, and anything restricted to authors will work just fine.

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:46 pm

An update on the plugin (for the people watching this space):

We are rewriting the framework to allow the plugin to work with many different forums. Nigel is the OO wizz and is taking the lead on the new framework. I have installed phpBB and will be working on getting the new framework up and running with it.

Stay tuned.......

bugfaceuk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bugfaceuk » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:56 am

Just a word of caution if anyone is downloading builds from the SVN repository the new architecture is in place, although there is still re-factoring going on all over the place so it's possible that you will have stability problems (the releases are fine).

Wil
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Wil » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:24 am

Really fantastic news, rewriting vblink for supporting multiple bulletinboards, especially SMF! This will make a lot of people very happy  ;D

bugfaceuk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bugfaceuk » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:45 am

In fact we have gone a little further, and not restricted it to forums/boards, fundamentally it is a component to integrate with any other user system, without having to write a plug-in yourself. Because we have developed a frame-work, each one is well supported and easy to integrate.

Even better is, my guess to add support for A.N.Other user database almost certainly can be implemented in a few hours.

Wil
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Wil » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:31 pm

Does it also mean that Coppermine can be integrate  :-*

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:18 pm

Like Nigel said, it can be used to integrate with any other user database. The JFiusion (name of the new plugin) framework handles all of the tasks. To add a different forum/software, you would have to duplicate one of the forum files, rename it to your software name and check that password encryption and mysql table/field names are correct in the php file. (optional to create an automatic setup function, like vblink)

We will try to add SMF and phpBB in the next couple of days and then work on a more extensive integration, such as the ability to display new posts in a Joomla module and run the software as a Joomla wrapper with maintaining the joomla urls.

Cheers, Marius

bugfaceuk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bugfaceuk » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:42 pm

If it stores its users in a database, and you are OK with it being the master, then it will be fine.

imrich
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by imrich » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:34 pm

This sounds very exciting! I'm using SMF now and need something to replace the bridge since that support has ended.

I'm surprized there hasn't been more excitment on this topic. Maybe you should edit the subject of the first post to get more attention.

Can you give us an update on how this is going? I'll be excited to see a beta and final release.

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:19 pm

The first alpha of JFusion will be released this week. It will include support for vbulletin and phpBB3. Some features:

- No core hacks only using plugins
- Joomla login creates both the Joomla and Forum cookies (single login for both softwares)
- User mirroring in the Joomla database for compatibility with other Joomla components
- Multi language support
- Setup wizard and error checking routines for easy installation and troubleshooting
- Component is also works as a wrapper that allows all of the forum pages to be accessed by a joomla URL (we will need some help to force the forum software to use only Joomla urls)

It is designed as a framework, so any other software that stores user information in a table can be integrated. Plus we have coded in specific forum related checks, such as preventing blocked or inactive forum users joomla login.

Thanks, Marius

imrich
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by imrich » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:36 pm

Marius,

Thanks for your report.

I'd like to suggest and urge you to also include SMF support in the release as soon as you can.  There is a large community of SMF users that have been left in the dark when the SMF bridge was removed from distribution.

Someone posted a link here from the SMF bridge forum, and thats how I found out about your interesting project.

Thanks again!

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:49 pm

It is a time constraint at the moment that is making us focus on phpBB3 and vbulletin (for the next week at least).

We would be excited if someone would be able to raise their hand to add the SMF compatibility. Adding support for SMF would involve duplicating two files (one XML file to handle the component parameter and one that contains the forum specific code). You would then edit the SQL statements to make them specific to SMF and add the code for cookie creation (to allow for single login).

The logic of integrating a forum into joomla is separate to the forum specific code (such as SQL and cookies). This will hopefully allow all different forum users to benefit from added features to JFusion, while using the JFusion framework.

Thanks, Marius

SkyFlyer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SkyFlyer » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:17 pm

Not to pee in anyones cheerios (cue proverbial but in 3... 2... 1...), but wouldn't this "bridge" be in violation of the GPL if distributed?

----------------
Now playing: Coldplay - Shiver
via FoxyTunes

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:28 pm

I'm not an expert on GPL licenses, but I did see a lot of discussions and passionate emails on the principle of a bridge.

Joomla 1.5 out of the box already has the options to authenticate from gmail or a LDAP server. JFusion uses the same type of integration which is already included in Joomla, just a different type of software (some forum softwares are GPL, but vbulletin is commercial).

gmail and LDAP are not release under GPL, but are still supported in Joomla 1.5 with an authentication plugin. When does an authentication plugin become a bridge and vice-versa?

Maybe someone can give a detailed analysis of this? Thanks, Marius
Last edited by mariusvr on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

EMRhelp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by EMRhelp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:45 am

mariusvr wrote: The first alpha of JFusion will be released this week. It will include support for vbulletin

This is really incredible news.

Thank you Mariusvr.

Q: is there anything about Joomla! 1.5 that made meaningful connections (Bridges) to other software easier ?  Please explain, i am interested in your explanation.  :)

EMRhelp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by EMRhelp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:53 am

Here is a good thread detailing previous attempts at bridging Joomla 1.0.x and vBulletin.

Complete List of Joomla! vBulletin bridges available and "pending"
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,136265.0.html

The only one that worked well was bbpixel's bridge ( only $20 ) and that involved hacking core vB files.

It also broke Community Builder use, as it used vBulletin for Authentication.

Here's hoping for a robust vB J! combo ! :)

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:57 am

Joomla 1.5 has "plugin functionabilities". In particular there are  a (1) authentication plugin and (2) user plugin. This means you can customize the way Joomla authenticates and handles users, without doing any hacking of the core files.

We had a week delay in the release of JFusion, because myself and the other programmer on the project had other distractions in the last week. Hopefully a release will be made in the next couple of days.

Cheers, Marius

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”