error in the installation

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
squich
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

error in the installation

Post by squich » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:47 pm

when i'm trying to install 1.5 rc4 (same problem was in rc3) it shows:

Notice: Undefined index: DBtype in /home/euro/domains/hash.lt/public_html/blog/installation/installer/models/model.php on line 702

Fatal error: Call to undefined method JException::getNullDate() in /home/euro/domains/hash.lt/public_html/blog/installation/installer/helper.php on line 290

Maybe my server is unsuitable? What I should do?

pcstore
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: error in the installation

Post by pcstore » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:43 pm

Notice: Undefined index: DBtype in /home/pcstore/public_html/profile/installation/installer/models/model.php on line 702

Fatal error: Call to undefined method JException::getNullDate() in /home/pcstore/public_html/profile/installation/installer/helper.php on line 290

me too getting the same error while installing .. install in local PC works good but not on webserver. I tried with 2 hosting provider .. both case same error.

thanks,
Sena

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:54 pm

What step of the process is this happening in?
Are all of your settings the recommended ons?
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

jHedron
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jHedron » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:09 pm

The same error occured on my machine as well.

I'll try to explain everything you need:

PHP Version >= 4.3.10 Yes 
- Zlib Compression Support Yes 
- XML Support Yes 
- MySQL Support Yes 
MB Language is Default Yes 
MB String Overload Off Yes 
configuration.php Writable Yes

Directive Recommended Actual
Safe Mode: Off Off
Display Errors: On On
File Uploads: On On
Magic Quotes Runtime: Off Off
Register Globals: Off On
Output Buffering: Off Off
Session Auto Start: Off Off

Everything goes fine until clicking "install sample data"... then a message appears that appeared in one you the BETA versions before. That issue was supposed to be fixed. I also have RC3 on my local WinXP machine... it was installed properly. But before I forget... here's the message, that appears in a JScrip Message Box, when clicking on "Install Sample Data":
Error: the XML response that was returned from the server is invalid

When I try to jump to the next page I see the following message:

otice: Undefined index: DBtype in /XXXXXX/public_html/cms/installation/installer/models/model.php on line 702

Fatal error: Call to undefined method: jexception->getnulldate() in /XXXXXX/public_html/cms/installation/installer/helper.php on line 290

I hope that's enough information...

James

tcp
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by tcp » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:42 pm

Here is the code around line 290.

Code: Select all

$db = & JInstallationHelper::getDBO($DBtype, $DBhostname, $DBuserName, $DBpassword, $DBname, $DBPrefix);

// create the admin user
		$installdate 	= date('Y-m-d H:i:s');
		$nullDate 		= $db->getNullDate();
So $db is actually an error object, not a db object.  There needs to be a check using JError::isError($db) { ...; return false; }

Not sure why this is a problem - the cookie check should ensure that cookies are enabled and the configuration information previously submitted is being retained via the session.
Your solution for a single-page checkout on any website.
http://moolah-ecommerce.com

zangolin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by zangolin » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:55 pm

jHedron wrote: The same error occured on my machine as well.

I'll try to explain everything you need:

PHP Version >= 4.3.10 Yes 
- Zlib Compression Support Yes 
- XML Support Yes 
- MySQL Support Yes 
MB Language is Default Yes 
MB String Overload Off Yes 
configuration.php Writable Yes

Directive Recommended Actual
Safe Mode: Off Off
Display Errors: On On
File Uploads: On On
Magic Quotes Runtime: Off Off
Register Globals: Off On
Output Buffering: Off Off
Session Auto Start: Off Off

Everything goes fine until clicking "install sample data"... then a message appears that appeared in one you the BETA versions before. That issue was supposed to be fixed. I also have RC3 on my local WinXP machine... it was installed properly. But before I forget... here's the message, that appears in a JScrip Message Box, when clicking on "Install Sample Data":
Error: the XML response that was returned from the server is invalid

When I try to jump to the next page I see the following message:

otice: Undefined index: DBtype in /XXXXXX/public_html/cms/installation/installer/models/model.php on line 702

Fatal error: Call to undefined method: jexception->getnulldate() in /XXXXXX/public_html/cms/installation/installer/helper.php on line 290
I am getting excatly the same error and results as above with RC4? any ideas

arucarD
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by arucarD » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:48 pm

I had the same error happen, this is how I fixed it.

configuration.php Writable    No

With the configuration file showing up as No, it meant the file did not have the permissions to be written onto. So in my FTP client, I right clicked this file and granted it full access. [CHMOD 777 I believe it is.]

Once Configuration showed up as Yes, I retried the install and boom it worked like a charm.

SorZer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by SorZer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:56 pm

I have the exact same problem, anyone  ???

U8IK
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by U8IK » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:40 am

Same here.
I first get the the XML response that was returned from the server is invalid alert, then it stops on the next step, I get:
Notice: Undefined index: DBtype in /Library/WebServer/Documents/joomla/installation/installer/models/model.php on line 701
Fatal error: Call to undefined method JException::getNullDate() in /Library/WebServer/Documents/joomla/installation/installer/helper.php on line 290

I try to install: 1.5.0 Production/Stable [ Takriban ] 5-October-2007 21:00 GMT
the environment: PHP/5.2.4 // Mysql 5.0.24a // Apache/1.3.33 (Darwin)
the machine: iBook G4, Mac OSX 10.4.11

jHedron
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jHedron » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:10 pm

arucarD wrote: I had the same error happen, this is how I fixed it.

configuration.php Writable    No

With the configuration file showing up as No, it meant the file did not have the permissions to be written onto. So in my FTP client, I right clicked this file and granted it full access. [CHMOD 777 I believe it is.]

Once Configuration showed up as Yes, I retried the install and boom it worked like a charm.
My config file is still 777. :(

James

U8IK
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by U8IK » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:28 pm

I was working with an older version. I have updated to the last build (RC4) and now it's fixed.

Out Rules
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Out Rules » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:04 am

I Got The Same Prop Guys But I Fix It

On The Step Nummber 4 ( Database )

I Made A New Database

And I Typed My New Info Then Press Advanced Settings

To Change The Table Prefix Name From [ jos_ ] To [ bak_ ] Same Like Old Version

Thats How i Fix It

Best Wishes

Out Rules 8)

icc97
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by icc97 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:07 pm

There are two places where "Error: the XML response that was returned from the server is invalid" occurs:
  • FTP Configuration
  • Clicking 'Install Sample Data' in the Main Configuration
Both of these were caused by a bad configuration.php file.

I solved both of these errors by going back to the start of the installation and following what they say in the Common Issues and Error Handling to make sure that the configuration.php file is writeable and empty.
Create a completely empty file, name it as configuration.php and upload it to your joomla_root/ directory before commencing the installation. Joomla! will then enter the details as the installation proceeds as normal.
I also made sure that it was writeable as the Pre-installation check page requires. The fact that they seem to claim its ok to continue without a configuration file didn't work for me - FTP would work but not installing the sample data.

for linux users:

Code: Select all

chmod 755 configuration.php

worked for me to get the file writeable.

Once you have the empty configuration file you need to go back to the start of the browser installation so that the configuration file can be filled out as you go along.

P.S. I believe that the 'Fatal Error' that you get on the page after the 'Install Sample Data' page is related to this as well.

rc_andrei
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rc_andrei » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:22 pm

Hello I am trying to install Joomla and I could go over the error of xml data is invalid but then it comes right after another error. It doesn't say what kind of error. There is only a Previous button after.

Ca someone explain to me again what should I change? By the way I am using a free hosting and Joomla 1.0 worked ok. I need to finish this by evening I have to make this for an association.

Regards,

Andrei Robert.

# Create a completely empty file, name it as configuration.php and upload it to your joomla_root/ directory before commencing the installation. Joomla! will then enter the details as the installation proceeds as normal. DONE

# Wait until the end of the installation when at Step 7 the Finished Screen is displayed a list of the variables and settings for the configuration.php file will be displayed. These should then be copied and pasted into a new text document and saved as configuration.php At step 7 I get an error.

webserver2007
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webserver2007 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:25 pm

i got d same error @ no 6 step... see my attachment... plzz help mee sir..... :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The world may not be able to save one man, but maybe one man can change the world!!

webserver2007
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webserver2007 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:26 pm

nd am using joomla 1.5 stable version....
The world may not be able to save one man, but maybe one man can change the world!!

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:20 am

You do not need to create a configuration.php file. The installer will do that for you. Having a file is probably what is causing the error you see.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

webserver2007
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webserver2007 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:22 am

yea sir.... am read dis topic Common Issues & Error Handling and config.php file is correct position..

:(

joofan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joofan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:26 pm

icc97 wrote: I solved both of these errors by going back to the start of the installation and following what they say in the Common Issues and Error Handling to make sure that the configuration.php file is writeable and empty.
Thanks, that advice worked perfect for me. :geek:

xfordx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by xfordx » Mon May 05, 2008 4:35 am

joofan wrote:
icc97 wrote: I solved both of these errors by going back to the start of the installation and following what they say in the Common Issues and Error Handling to make sure that the configuration.php file is writeable and empty.
Thanks, that advice worked perfect for me. :geek:[/quote

Thanks for this as well. Creating an EMPTY configuration.php file works perfectly for me.
I got the 2 errors above because I copied the "configuration.php-dist" to "configuration.php".

magneticmg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by magneticmg » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:30 pm

icc97....you are the man...thank you...

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:14 pm

Moved from 1.5 Q&T

Diesel9a1
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Diesel9a1 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:07 pm

Ok, so I can get the site working by doing a manual install.

My question is:
I have installed two joomla sites on my localhost with no problems at all. Then I try for a third site and this problem on this thread appears.
I get to the stage 6 (no settings are displayed), I click the finish button and bang - the error messages:
Notice: Undefined index: DBtype in D:\xampp\htdocs\mywork\public_html\kennington\joomla2\installation\installer\models\model.php on line 764

Fatal error: Call to undefined method JException::getNullDate() in D:\xampp\htdocs\mywork\public_html\kennington\joomla2\installation\installer\helper.php on line 290
The database does get created in localhost on the laptop. The configuration.php file doesn't get created though.

I can't think that I have done anything to my computer at all. I have even switched off my firewall just in case that was having some weird effect.

Is there an answer as to what it could be, not just a work round - I would like to create more sites, but via the easier web install method.

Pete

epsdaniel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by epsdaniel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:05 pm

I have same error. I use 1and1 server.

I create a configuration.php totally empty and permission set to 777

I still have the error. I close the browser and reopened. Change the browser and still the error.

I do not know what to do.

Any help please :geek:

nanaya
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nanaya » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:20 pm

Thank you xfordx That Worked PERFECTLY!!!

joni2
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joni2 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:05 pm

I had same problem installing Joomla 1.5.9.
Eventually I solved it by deleting the empy configuration.php file that I was starting off with.
Then I set file permission on the folder site directory where the configuration file is written to 777.
I installed and let the installer do its job of creating this configuration file and it worked like a charm.

wownetwork
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wownetwork » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:07 am

I had this problem with 1.5.10

I was installing it using FF3 (Firefox 3)

I tried the beta IE 8 (crapper) but it actually made the difference. I read CHROME works as well.

This may be a problem, dunno, but it worked for me. This should be looked into.

VitalBodies
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by VitalBodies » Fri May 01, 2009 7:08 am

I renamed the configuration file in the root (of Joomla) and that fixed the problem. Thanks to Robert L of DreamHost for pointing me to this thread...
-
http://www.VitalBodies.net
Home, Art, Lifestyle, Shop, Tech & News...

SeekAndEnjoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SeekAndEnjoy » Fri May 01, 2009 12:10 pm

I had this problem with 1.5.10 too when using FF 3.0. Then I switched to IE7 and it worked.

Yesterday I had some problems with using my online banking with FF 3 and IE7 worked. What´s up with Firefox?

See you
Patrick

krazeguy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by krazeguy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:56 am

For everyone that is having this issue and can't figure it out what is going on, try using Internet Explorer to install. I tried all the above fixes and more, all while using Firefox, pulled my hear out ... then finally tried IE8 and it installed perfectly first time.

This is absolutely ridiculous that Firefox would be causing these issues ...

My setup;
Firefox/3.5.1
IE8.0.7600
Tried on Joomla 1.5.12 and 1.5.14 both installs had same issues. This was on a fresh server, with fresh Apache / MYSQL install.

Return to “Installation 1.5”