How to disable registration email

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
leetorrens
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How to disable registration email

Post by leetorrens » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:55 pm

Searched forums for 'disable registration email' and 'turn off registration email' without success.

I want to stop Joomla 1.5 from sending an email to users when they register. I presume there's a line in a file somewhere that I can comment out to achieve this.

Thanks in advance.

RiCtee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: How to disable registration email

Post by RiCtee » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:06 am

All you need to do is go into the backend and then Global Configuration -> System -> choose "No" to New User Account Activation.

leetorrens
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by leetorrens » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:12 am

Thanks for responding, but that's not what I'm after.

Even with Account Activation turned off, users are still sent an email when they register. It's this email, not the activation email, that I want to turn off.

joarvat
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by joarvat » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:45 am

I am also wanting to know this. Someone may wonder why I would want to disable this. But the fact is that email is not a very secure way of sending out login information. When I set someone up as a super admin for example, I want to avoid that email going out, because if someone snaps up the superadmin username/password, they can do a lot of damage. Call me paranoid, but I think one should take precautions.

I suppose one way of doing this is to
1. Set the person up, but use an email address on the same domain. Then I guess it's not sent out on the internet.
2. Then you edit the user and change the email address to the correct one. In this instance, again I don't think an email is sent out.

Am I correct?
Joar Vatnaland er managing director i Maxweb Consulting: http://www.maxwebconsulting.co.uk, spesialister i Joomla webdesign.  Norsk webside: Norsk Web Design http://www.norsk-web-design.com

leetorrens
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by leetorrens » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:54 pm

Hey joarvat,

I do a similar thing for setting up new admins but with the password field as well. I setup the new account with my own email address and a fake password and click Apply instead of Save. Once the page has reloaded I change the email address and password to the real values and save. This way the email is sent to me and doesn't contain the correct password.

I'm still interested to know if there is a way to disable the email for users who self-register from the front end.

Lee

calsnoboarder
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by calsnoboarder » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:46 am

Is there anywhere that this can be turned off? Seems that no one has really answered this question.

Ideally, if you set NO EMAIL TO NEW USERS, then no email gets sent, but this does not prevent a user you manually enter through the back end from receiving an email letting them know they have been registered and this is their username and password.

chrisjenx2001
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by chrisjenx2001 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:34 pm

To me its more the annoyance of having to delete emails daily.
Even if you could disable email admin on new user would be handy?

kaharris
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kaharris » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:01 am

I am also looking for an answer. I don't want to make user register for my site, but I have a section that they can indicate to get email updates when I add new content. I want to be able to send out mass emails from joomla. When I manually register users for the mass email, I don't want to send out and email telling them that they are registering for the site.

D-Fi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by D-Fi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:00 pm

Has anyone figured this out? I'm in the exact same boat... I have a user that simply wants to manually add users to the back end for mass mail purposes and I haven't been able to find the line(s) of code to comment out that would control this.

D-Fi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by D-Fi » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:08 pm

I found the answer to this if anyone is still looking.

edit YourSite/administrator/components/com_users/controller.php

***NOTE*** make sure you're in ADMINISTRATOR/components directory and not the general components directory off of the root... or you will drive yourself crazy looking for something that doesn't exist like I did :)

around line 189 look for "JUtility::sendMail( $adminEmail, $adminName, $user->get('email'), $subject, $message );"
and comment out or delete that 1 line.

So far so good... I have registered a handful of test users and received no registration confirmation email & mass mailing still works.

matt_nz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by matt_nz » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:51 pm

I found if you want to disable the annoying email when a front end user joins your site, I had to alter:
components\com_user\controller.php
Line 522
comment out:
//JUtility::sendMail($mailfrom, $fromname, $row->email, $subject2, $message2);

bjarkekr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bjarkekr » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:30 pm

yeah well that is a solution, but its not so smart to alter joomla core code.. Makes it a lot harder to update to new versions of joomla.

But it seems there is no other solution to this, right?

MGadAllah
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by MGadAllah » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:36 pm

But in case I am adding a new user from acp (Joomla back end) how can I disable the email sent to the user that has been added?
This is the only thing I want to do as I want new users that has been registered at the front end to get the email.
Thanks
Thanks and Best Regards,
Mohamed ... Enjoy with respect

moooh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by moooh » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:08 pm

MGadAllah wrote:But in case I am adding a new user from acp (Joomla back end) how can I disable the email sent to the user that has been added?
Then you would do what D-Fi said in his post.

As a short answer to the others wondering, no, there is no good non core breaking solution to stop the emails from being sent.
An ugly way you could acchieve it would be to keep it on but remove the mail server information from global configuration. This way joomla will try send the mail but fail and display a notice. This would only work if you don't plan on sending any mails at all from joomla and is not a recommended 'solution'. Commenting out the lines is the best you can do at the moment.

forestofshadows
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by forestofshadows » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:29 am

Hello, you need to modify the file /components/com_user/controller.php wich is not in the administrator folder... delete these code... and thats it..

// Send email to user
if ( ! $mailfrom || ! $fromname ) {
$fromname = $rows[0]->name;
$mailfrom = $rows[0]->email;
}

JUtility::sendMail($mailfrom, $fromname, $email, $subject, $message);

The administrator continue receiving mails but the registered user wont.
If you want neither the admin receive mail delete the code after the // Send notification to all administrators

It works fine for me.

ServiceFly
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ServiceFly » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:54 pm

Does anyone know if AEC and other components use the JUtility line to send out their emails? My problem is when a new user joins, they are sent four emails and I am sent four emails. I just want one email sent from AEC for activation, then confirmation (2 emails total to user) and just one email sent to me (admin) to notify of new user.

luis23045
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by luis23045 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:12 am

great post guys, it worked like a charm for me
http://cmsteachings.com - Joomla Tips & Tutorials
http://ubrainmedia.com - My Joomla Company
My Joomla Advice is my personal experience. It does not means I am right or wrong. It just means that I work with Joomla in my own way and it works for me.

newusr2009
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by newusr2009 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:24 pm

I successfully imported a bunch of users without sending notification emails with Arra User Import/Export http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... port/12607

candcconsulting
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by candcconsulting » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:12 pm

I have joomla 1.6 and there's not even 189 lines in administrator/components/com_users/controller.php, nor is there any code resembling anything anyone in this forum has posted. Why do they make this so user-unfriendly?

tonytranupc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tonytranupc » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:18 am

I have the same issue but still can't fix it. I do many searches but there is no good option to follow up.

Return to “Administration 1.5”