Unable to login on frontend

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
deanburgess
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Unable to login on frontend

Post by deanburgess » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:22 am

I've installed Joomla 1.5 and am unable to login on the frontend. Well, that's not entirely true. If I navigate from the homepage into another menu item I can login, but if I try to go to another menu item it can't find the page. I have installed Joomla into the root directory of a godaddy hosting site. Obviously, it looks as though I have some sort of path issue. It's basically having trouble finding index.php if I try to login. How do I correct this? Thanks.

----------
Dean Burgess

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Unable to login on frontend

Post by humvee » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:58 am

What errors is it displaying?
What if any directories other than Joomla directories and files are present in the root directory?
Did you delete/overwrite any directories or files?
Have you tried re-uploading and reinstalling Joomla!?

Andy

deanburgess
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deanburgess » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:19 am

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your help. I just see an internet explorer error that it can't access http://www.heatherwoodbaptist.org/index.php which is the home page. It was actually working at one time and then I did a reinstall to correct another problem, which it did, but then somewhere along the way, maybe on install, it stopped working. I don't know because I was busy setting up the site from the backend and didn't try to log into the frontend, so don't know when exactly it stopped working. Anyway, so thought it would be a fairly easy fix as it seemed to be a redirection problem so I continued laying out my site, including installing community builder. (I thought maybe it would work with another login module from community builder, but it doesn't work either, which is what I am using now).

Once you get the error you can't access the homepage with that session of the browser. You can if you open another browser session. It's weird.

BTW, on the new install I deleted everything on the server so it was basically a clean install, unless of course I deleted something on the site that should have been there to begin with.

deanburgess
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deanburgess » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:47 am

wait a minute....I see a joomla directory also on the directory tree on my site. I suppose this isn't normal? (it looks as though the root install of joomla is the one I want as it seems to have my templates and the components, etc that I have installed.) I renamed the joomla directory just in case it was looking in there for something. still same error so it seems it is having no effect and must not be the problem. :-(

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:29 am

Umhhh strange inded

There certainly should not be a Joomla directory in the top level of the installation there are further down within the /libraries/ directory but certainly not the top level.

Is there a chance that you have somehow managed to duplicate more than just that one?

With CB Login module you need to make sure the Joomla! login module is disabled - the two cannot run alongside each other (at least if memory serves from when I last ran CB)

A couple of things to check/eliminate - we will get to the bottom of it.

btw You did not advise whether it would be possible to just do a reinstall from scratch? It might prove quicker in the long run if you don't have a live site yet and "critical" content to preserve.

hth

Andy

dam-man
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by dam-man » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:23 am

Mod note:
Topic moved from Joomla! 1.5 - installation to Joomla! 1.5 administration
Robert Dam - Joomla Forum Moderator
Dutch Boards | Joomla Coding Boards | English Support Boards

deanburgess
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deanburgess » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:24 pm

"There certainly should not be a Joomla directory in the top level of the installation there are further down within the /libraries/ directory but certainly not the top level.
Is there a chance that you have somehow managed to duplicate more than just that one?"

Yes, looks as though I did. However, I don't believe the problem is coming from that because I have renamed that Joomla directory and everything is still working the same. If it was looking in there it seems I would have had features to stop working.

"With CB Login module you need to make sure the Joomla! login module is disabled - the two cannot run alongside each other (at least if memory serves from when I last ran CB)"

Yes, the regular login form has been disabled. Also, the login still wasn't working right before the community builder install, as I was hoping that whatever was happening in the regular login module might be fixed by using the community builder login module.

"btw You did not advise whether it would be possible to just do a reinstall from scratch? It might prove quicker in the long run if you don't have a live site yet and "critical" content to preserve."

Yes, it's possible to do, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to as this is my first joomla project and I did one re-install to correct one problem, only to have this frontend login problem to pop up in its place. I am already gun-shy on these re-installs.<g>

*If it would help and you are willing I could create an admin login account for you to login and take a look. I am supposed to demo this web site this weekend, which I still can without the frontend login, but it sure would be nice to have this problem fixed before then. Thanks for your help and ideas on this so far.

----
Dean

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:50 pm

OK let's look at possible options before starting from scratch...

When you did original install did you follow the information contained on the installation and General forums about GoDaddy servers?

Are you running PHP 5 option on the server?

Do you have the .htaccess file enabled and functioning?

When you did the reinstall what did you actually do? Simply overwrite the core files on the Web server or a full Web browser reinstall.

Was this a completely new install originally not a migration from 1.0 and not an upgrade from 1.5.1 or less

What changes if any have you manually made to any of the core files?

What other Extensions including Templates did you add after the initial installation and when you discovered the sign on problem?

Are these all 1.5 Native or are some 1.0 + Legacy mode?

Are you even running in Legacy mode?

Does your FTP client or the ControlPanel of your Web host have the facility to unzip/untar in situ?

Possible steps I would suggest to take one stage at a time:
Stage 1
Check the Joomla! db jos_users table and make sure the Users have been created and are available

Uninstall the CB login and other extensions that have been added since the login problem started. Reactivate Joomla Login module.

Check the jos_modules table and make sure the Login Module is activated properly as far as the database is concerned

Stage 2
Remove the files that have been installed in addition/error to duplicate Joomla! (if they are not there we know they are having no effect.) Open the zip file of Joomla! on your local machine to serve as a guide as to what should and should not be there.

When you did the reinstall what did you actually do? Simply overwrite the core files on the Web server or a full Web browser reinstall.

Was this a completely new install originally not a migration from 1.0 and not an upgrade from 1.5.1 or less

Stage 3
Download a new copy of the 1.5.2 stable file pack from JoomlaCode in both following options

either...
If your FTP client or control panel does have zip/unzip function it would be worth uploading the Joomla! core zip file to the remote host.
Unzipping it on the server and over writing the files

or ..

ftp a new set of the unzipped files to the server with a different FTP client than the one used and overwriting the current files and directories

deleting the installation directory in both cases without doing any actual installation process

Stage 4 Give up

Delete everything and start again!!

There you are just a few thoughts ;) ;)

Andy

deanburgess
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deanburgess » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:14 pm

Hi Andy,

Had already thought about some of these, especially the "give up" option.<g>

One thought/question:

I am NOT running the .htaccess file right now. I was reading the threads on it to begin with, when I was trying to diagnose the problem. I downloaded the .htaccess file that someone posted on the thread as working for them. I renamed mine and uploaded, but it gave me additional problems, so I renamed it and am running NO .htaccess file as of now. (I actually thought from reading the threads that my problem was probably located in the .htaccess file. Uploading that file gave problems so I discarded that notion.)

btw, when you try to login to frontend, even though it gives an error message that it can't find the index.php, it actually logs you in, as witness from the user management in the admin panel.

I'm going to try to work thru some of these ideas/suggestions, maybe I'll hit on something...if you have any other ideas let me know. Thanks for your help on this (I'll try to retain my hair).

----
Dean

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:24 pm

You mention the .htaccess queries/problems, did you change any of the settings in the Global Configuration in respect of SEF or Apache mod_rewrite?

Andy
ps as for the hair I gave up on that a long time ago ;)

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Another thought can you post your server specs software versions etc

deanburgess
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deanburgess » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:45 pm

[quote="humvee"]You mention the .htaccess queries/problems, did you change any of the settings in the Global Configuration in respect of SEF or Apache mod_rewrite?

Well, yes, thinking that different URLs might allow joomla to find the index.php page. But that has been turned back off.

***I renamed the original .htaccess.txt file and am running it now to see if it helps. (so far no adverse effects but since neither of those files were running I understand it can take an hour for things to take effect, so still waiting to see what I have)

***the community builder login module has a setting for redirection upon login (since it actually does seem to login but can't actually find the index.php file). I've played around with it a bit. It defaults to "index.php." I've tried http://www.heatherwoodbaptist.org/index.php thinking it would be a more precise pathname (it does seem to effect what it's looking for). Still no joy. But should I actually put something else, like home/html/index.php or something? (just trying various things, hoping for the magic bullet) *sigh*

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:51 pm

Just had a look at the site, another test to try is whether the issue continues using one of the default Templates.
Is the church template a 1.5 native or a 1.0 + Legacy ?

deanburgess
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deanburgess » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi Andy,

It's a 1.5 template and it WAS working. This happened sometime after I did a new install. If it wasn't that I was worried about something else stopping working I'd definitely do a fresh install. But its just a weird situation, that is seemingly just some sort of path issue getting back to the index.php after a login.

I installed several components and modules and plugins after I did that install and am not sure if even one of those caused a problem because I was doing work in the admin, just popping on the preview to take a look or sometimes just going to the homepage with a new browser session and not logging into the frontend because I just didn't see a problem. I usually like to test after I install any component or software or feature, one at the time so I can more easily track down the problem, but it didn't occur to me that I could have frontend login problems after I had already been using that on a previous install....*sigh*

***One good thing is that I'm learing a bit about joomla and components, etc. (Nice installation manual you wrote btw!)

Return to “Administration 1.5”