Tableless template

Discuss the development and implementation of Joomla! 1.0.x templates here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
SyntheticShield
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Tableless template

Post by SyntheticShield » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:38 pm

Hey all.  I got a question.  Im still fairly new to Joomla but Im kinda liking the tableless CSS designed pages and would like to try one if for no other reason than just for kicks and the learning experience.

What Im trying to find now is how do you include the Joomla components with a tableless design, can anyone post a snippet or something like that to kind of get me started?

Also, I know most of what I read in tableless designs uses 2 or 3 column type set ups.  Is it possible to create say like a head section and then down below that two or three colums and a footer section.

Could I do something like the following:

#headercontent {}

#leftcontent {}

#middlecontent {}

#rightcontent {}

#footercontent{}

Am I going in the right direction?  If so all I would need then is just a snippet of how to include the Joomla modules.  Thanks for any help and direction.

0wn4g3
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Tableless template

Post by 0wn4g3 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:09 pm

This ought to help you out one way or another http://www.mambosolutions.com/dw_tutorial/

SyntheticShield
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SyntheticShield » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:21 pm

I looked at that, but I didnt see anything about inserting Joomla content in a tableless design, did I miss something?  That tutorial is all about setting up a template using tables which I want to be purely CSS.  Maybe I just overlooked something so if that is the case help me out and accept my apologies for the trouble.

0wn4g3
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by 0wn4g3 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:05 pm

SyntheticShield wrote: If so all I would need then is just a snippet of how to include the Joomla modules.
Thats the part of the question that tutorial is supposed to address.

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HarryB » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:15 pm

To load modules:

/* replace 'left" with whatever is appropriate, i.e., right, top, user 1, etc... */

Note that the left, right, top, etc. are not position sensitive...used only to give module position a unique name...

The -2 tells mosLoadModules to generate ... rather than ... to encapsulate modules..

To load content:

This stuff is documented some place at http://help.joomla.org and in some of the threads in forum FAQs.

Hope this helps a bit...

Edit:

And yes, you are going iin right direction...
Last edited by HarryB on Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need a helping hand, use the one at the end of your own arm.
www.hrpr.com

SyntheticShield
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SyntheticShield » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:15 am

Thanks HarryB, I think that is what I needed to get me down the road a little further.  I appreciate your input and help.  Im going to give it a shot and see what comes of it.

SyntheticShield
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SyntheticShield » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:09 am

Hey, I have an additional question concerning tableless designs.

I have a header and a left and right column below that now and so far its starting to all come together, slowly, but its getting there.

Im now dealing with including images in the design.  I saw the code below used to call up images

myimage.jpg

I am using Dreamweaver 8 in doing all this.  When I include that code I get the dreaded 'X'.  Anyone have any ideas

I know I aint going crazy as I saw that code used in a free template available.  I got it to work not too long ago in a tabled design I practiced with in trying to learn about making templates.  So if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.  I know I can use the tag but I want to figure out the above code and how to use it effectively if I can.

Now, the next thing.

In my practice design, I have a top section, then down below that a left and right section, the right section being the main body and such.  When using tables you just hard code and extra table in where you need it or if you were using something like Dreamweaver you just click on insert table above, below, left, right and there was your new cell.  How do I do something like that with a tableless design.  Below is code I used from a tutorial I read.

The thought occurred to me to number them, say , etc., but Im not real certain on that so far.  I dont want to use all the modules, but the ones I do use I would like to keep in different sections.  Is this possible, and if so can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your help as it is greatly appreciated.

Return to “Templates & CSS - 1.0.x”