User login error linked to security update for 1.5.7

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Templecloud
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

User login error linked to security update for 1.5.7

Post by Templecloud » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:02 pm

Could someone from the Security team check out the thread below which seems to be affecting a slow trickle of people with no clear resolution:

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 7#p1464907

It appears that the problem is linked to this security issue:
http://developer.joomla.org/security/ne ... -spam.html

Login via the frontend is impossible - you just get this message:
Fatal error: Call to undefined method JURI::isinternal() in /home/f**/public_html/h-c**.com/components/com_user/controller.php on line 120
I note that in the first post in this thread the error was on line 160...

I have no idea how or why this error occurred. Some of the permissions were changed too - but changing them back has no effect.

An explanation of what is going on and if possible what to do to fix it - other than a fresh install - would be really helpful.

Thanks!

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: User login error linked to security update for 1.5.7

Post by brad » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Have you tried to upload the full 1.5.7 package?
Brad Baker
https://xyzulu.hosting
https://www.joomlatutorials.com <-- Joomla Help & Tutorials

Templecloud
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Templecloud » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:38 pm

Brad,

The site which has the problem was installed and updated from 1.5.5 via Simple Scripts. However, I have another 4 sites set up at about the same time that have been through exactly the same process, and have similar modules, components and plug-ins, but the logins work as they should.

If I overwrite the full 1.5.7 package it will presumably make it impossible to update via Simple Scripts - and from other posts in the thread there is no guarantee of success. Also, I will still have no idea why this problem occurred, so the site feels unreliable.

Presumably there should be some reason for this happening?

Any thoughts?

Frances

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:46 am

Well.. take a backup and try. Perhaps simple scripts are to blame (I've never heard of them). In any case, it's far better doing this yourself.
Brad Baker

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by RussW » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:47 am

As apposed to the "consenus of opinion" (of three users, in the other post) this is not currently manifesting itself as a "serious" Joomla! problem. At this time, it is merely manifesting itself as three sites presenting a similar issue, not of which points to any direction as to root cuase and no-one has provided any useful information to assist with diagnosis or problem replication, not even a description of the environments under which this issue is occuring, let alone any output of the "Forum Post Assistant" tool in the stickies. Neither has 2/3 of the posters attempted any recover or diagnosis actions themselves. One post reports that re-uploading and overwriting the Joomla! fileset from a full package resolved the issue, thus, at this time that one action tends to suggest some form of file corruption more than any other cause.

The fact that an installation was also conducted via "Simple Scripts" (like Brad, I have never heard of this) would suggest that there is another avenue of exploration to be had before attempting to place blame at the feet of the Joomla! core code itself. Also, the choice of the user to complete installation by a third-party method, effectively takes problem resolution out of our hands until such times as this installation method has been eliminated as a possible cause, not wishing to overwrite the "Simple Scripts" installation with an "Official" Joomla! release fileset, is purely the choice of the end user in this case, and as such, the developer of "Simple Scripts" should be contacted to determine what the effects of any such action might be, as "Simple Scripts" is not a Joomla! project supported application.
Joomla! on the fabulous Sunshine Coast...
hotmango, web & print http://www.hotmango.me/
The Styleguyz https://www.thestyleguyz.com/

Quotes
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Quotes » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:59 pm

Fatal error: Call to undefined method JURI::isinternal() in /home/username/public_html/components/com_user/controller.php on line 120

I have this problem. It affects admin login and whenever a user tries to login to the frontend, or submit an article. It affects the landing page of the submit article frontend although the article itself is created.

My site is hosted by Siteground. It is v1.5.4 patched to 1.5.6 although it doesn't seem to be aware of its newer version number.

It was working fine until they did some maintenance. They said they did a conversion of the InnoDB databases engine into a "file per table" mode, to improve performance, and ease the recover/repair process.

PHP Built on: Linux serv01.siteground.com 2.6.24.3-grsec-sg1 #4 SMP Mon Mar 10 08:34:02 CDT 2008 i686
Database Version: 5.0.45-community-log
Database Collation: latin1_swedish_ci
PHP Version: 5.2.5
Web Server: Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635.SR1.2 mod_ssl/2.8.28 OpenSSL/0.9.7a PHP-CGI/0.4mm
Web Server to PHP interface: cgi
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.4 Production/Stable [ Naiki ] 6-July-2008 22:00 GMT
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080829 Firefox/2.0.0.17

They did some commenting out of lines in the components/com_user/controller.php file but I still have problems with the landing page for a frontend article submission. I have been advised to do a reinstall.

Templecloud
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Templecloud » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:23 pm

I narrowed it down to the Modules, Media or Libraries folders - would have located the exact code but my (4) backups proved to be corrupt. You could try overwriting those folders to see if it resolves the problem before doing a full reinstall. No guarantees that it will last though as there's no information about what causes the fault. There were no changes at all to my site or with my host - one day the login just stopped working on 1.5.7.

Quotes
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Quotes » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:52 pm

I'm currently swapping out my existing installation on a folder by folder basis with files obtained from a full version of 1.5.7 - the early indication is that it was something in the libraries folder. I'm going to continue swapping the rest of my folders out to ensure I have 1.5.7 files across my entire site, rather than a mix of versions. When I've done that I will see if I can come back to narrow things down a bit further.

tip: If you have this error message, start with the libraries folder first

Quotes
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Quotes » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:39 am

I narrowed it down to libraries/joomla/

tip: for a quick test just click on the front end login button leaving username and password blank

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:23 am

Quotes wrote:Fatal error: Call to undefined method JURI::isinternal() in /home/username/public_html/components/com_user/controller.php on line 120

I have this problem. It affects admin login and whenever a user tries to login to the frontend, or submit an article. It affects the landing page of the submit article frontend although the article itself is created.

My site is hosted by Siteground. It is v1.5.4 patched to 1.5.6 although it doesn't seem to be aware of its newer version number.

It was working fine until they did some maintenance. They said they did a conversion of the InnoDB databases engine into a "file per table" mode, to improve performance, and ease the recover/repair process.

PHP Built on: Linux serv01.siteground.com 2.6.24.3-grsec-sg1 #4 SMP Mon Mar 10 08:34:02 CDT 2008 i686
Database Version: 5.0.45-community-log
Database Collation: latin1_swedish_ci
PHP Version: 5.2.5
Web Server: Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635.SR1.2 mod_ssl/2.8.28 OpenSSL/0.9.7a PHP-CGI/0.4mm
Web Server to PHP interface: cgi
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.4 Production/Stable [ Naiki ] 6-July-2008 22:00 GMT
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080829 Firefox/2.0.0.17

They did some commenting out of lines in the components/com_user/controller.php file but I still have problems with the landing page for a frontend article submission. I have been advised to do a reinstall.
.. and yet, despite all the messages this community has given to you, you still don;t want to secure your site by installing 1.5.7.. the mind boggles.
Brad Baker

suncoast
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by suncoast » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:29 am

I would also strongly recommend you upgrade your version of joomla!.... A general indication that I see in this forum is everyone is giving you a message / hint... I would take that advice ;)
Thanks,

Neil

Quotes
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Quotes » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:23 am

err, Brad, what do you mean by "despite all the messages this community has given to you"... only Templecloud provided me with useful information to work with, by suggesting specific folders to reinstall.

Up til now Templecloud is the only person to have replied to my post, so I don't get where you are coming from. Where are "all the messages"??

I didn't take without giving either, I was able to confirm
- how to test for the error quickly
- in which areas the error appears
- environment information
- that the error was seen in a version earlier than 1.5.7
- more specific folder location

and Suncoast, I did upgrade to 1.5.7, as I said in my post, and always intended to. Upgrading to latest version is always a logical step but I thought it would be useful to other people to understand the error can be seen in earlier versions, contrary to the topic title.

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: User login error after bad 1.5.7 upgrade via SimpleScripts

Post by RussW » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:44 am

In the light of your most recent post, then would you like to change the title to somehting like "FTP upload problem at J! 1.5.7 upgrade" seeing as a corrupt file in a directory, due to poor FTP or server processes is the problem here, not a login error or security issue as the current tends to subject suggest.

[Security Forum MOD note]
Moving to a more appropriate forum [Administration], seeing as it is not Joomla! Security related.
Last edited by RussW on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: User login error after bad 1.5.7 upgrade via SimpleScripts

Post by RussW » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:46 am

[MOD Note] Changed relocation to "Migrations and Upgrading" (not administration)

Quotes
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Quotes » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:54 am

Sorry to disappoint but I wasn't migrating or upgrading when the error occurred.

I had a working installation of v1.5.6, standard install with no extras.

Then one of my users alerted me to the error...
Fatal error: Call to undefined method JURI::isinternal() in /home/username/public_html/components/com_user/controller.php on line 120

I subsequently did an upgrade to 1.5.7 but I can assure you that the cause of the error is not likely to have been due to my use of FTP because it was working fine when I left it.

Templecloud
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Templecloud » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:07 am

Same here. No modifications or upgrades using FTP. The site was working perfectly.

I tried to login to the frontend to see how something looked, received a normal error message suggesting I had mis-typed the password, so tried to retrieve it to check. At which point it seems something corrupted, producing the error message.

Possibly corrupting something in the libraries/joomla/user folder which relates to authentication? But it also selectively changed the permissions on files in the modules/mod_login folder.

What server process could be responsible for this?

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by RussW » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:12 pm

So you had a corruption of a file or your hosting account..... Static, inanimate objects (such code) do not just suddnely decide to change or break at random points in time, just to annoy users. Somehting must have happened to change the behaviour. But of course, the first port of call is the Joomla! forums, not the provider or others maybe having access to the file server. These things happen, correct the issue and move on, it's hosting, it's unix and it's out of your control.

In many cases, this sort of thing happens if the server has some form of hiccup, panic's, reboots, or in the worst instances, disk failures or corruptions and rogue or damaged write processes. So again, maybe the title of the post needs to be changed. If, as you state in your defence, that you upgraded to J! 1.5.7 after the problem occured, how is this "linked" to J! 1.5.7 update.? <shaking head>
What server process could be responsible for this?
Any process running on "your hosts" server that had write/change access to your hosting account.

This could have been a one-time-event, btu if it happens again, talk to your host about the stability of their services or if they added a new service/process/application around that time, if they were working on the server at that time, if the local leopard in the Zoo changed it's spots at that time, if martians landed in or around the hosts data centre just before the occurance...!!

<unsubscribing> this is going nowwhere and is a futile excercise in will-power.

msshoffman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by msshoffman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:27 pm

new install J 1.57 (no upgrade). PHP5 - users can register, but not log-in...error message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: stripos() in /homepages/38/dxxxxxxxxx/htdocs/sweetrepeats/libraries/joomla/environment/uri.php on line 675.

Site is http://www.sweet-repeats.net

I keep reading about the FAQ's - read them. Well I did, they seem to relate to PHP4, not PHP5 as I have. In spite of that, tried some of the recommended fixes posted and so far nothing has worked. I have uninstalled all but core components, including VirtueMart. Hours worth of work involved and hoping there is a solution/workaround. Are there any known conflicts...

Can someone advise, and update wiki FAQ's to advise steps for fixing log-in errors for PHP5 as well?

Quotes
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Quotes » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:53 pm

RussW, I registered on this forum to find out how to fix a problem. Just because we don't understand the true cause of this error doesn't justify your patronising attitude. I can't see anything in your last post that advances our understanding of this error message. All you have done is chastise Templecloud, for what I guess, are personal reasons.

Templecloud
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Templecloud » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:33 am

That some process on the server could cause a random error or corruption I can accept.

That a fault on the server should cause exactly the same random corruption - out of all the Joomla files available - for at least one person per week at present seems highly improbable.

The logical conclusion is that there is some susceptibility in the code that allows this specific error to be triggered. However, if this seems impossible viewed from the perspective of greater experience, perhaps someone can explain why some factor within Joomla can't be the problem? At present there are repeated attempts to pin the error on some other external factor - rather than to sort out what the real issue is.
RussW wrote:<unsubscribing> this is going nowwhere and is a futile excercise in will-power.
This is like trying to hold a rational conversation with someone who storms out and slams the door in your face...

msshoffman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by msshoffman » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:16 am

Templecloud & Quotes - this one is for you!

Just to reiterate my problem, I had clean Joomla 1.57 install with PHP5 and getting login error (although viewers could register). Spent about 8-10 hours searching google for the error message and everything wound up pointing me here, to migrating which didn't apply to me. Finally, I broke down and called my host (1and1) and they asked me all the right questions and had the problem solved in about 10 minutes. Someone here or in another forum pointed to a problem & solution with .htaccess and changing to point from PHP4 to PHP5, which I never saw (because I didn't have PHP4). But what 1and1 did was change my .htacess to the following: AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php

I can't recall what it read before, but now this is all I see and my login works great. So from what it appears, the problem may be x-mapp, not sure if you have or not but hope this helps.

If it doesn't call you host and mention .htaccess and see if they can resolve if some other component. You may be a lot more savvy than I am when it comes to this stuff and Joomla...I assure you I am only hoping to help :)

Quotes
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Quotes » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:53 am

Glad to hear your problem with Joomla was fixed

However I think the issues we encountered may have been different...

Your error message...
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: stripos()

Quotes/Templecloud error message...
Fatal error: Call to undefined method JURI::isinternal()

Templecloud
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Templecloud » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:52 pm

Yes, I thought this was unrelated originally, but if you look at the code referred to it goes back to the same "isInternal" function suggesting there is a link. So /libraries/joomla/environment/uri.php lines 671-676 are:
function isInternal($url) {
$uri =& JURI::getInstance($url);
$base = $uri->toString(array('scheme', 'host', 'port', 'path'));
$host = $uri->toString(array('scheme', 'host', 'port'));
if(stripos($base, JURI::base()) !== 0 && !empty($host)) {
return false;
However, in this case it looks as though the XMAPP component may have triggered the error. Whereas all the components I had installed had been running successfully for over a month before the fault appeared.

msshoffman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by msshoffman » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:54 pm

Update: upon further research within 1and1 hosting, it turns out the "fix" is not related to a problem with xmap...see below and notice xmapp not xmap

What do I need to consider if I want to use PHP 5?

With 1&1 Linux hosting packages you have the choice between PHP 4 and
PHP 5. To distinguish a script as PHP 5, simply name the script with the file
extension .php5.

While the PHP developers have done their utmost to ensure compatibility, we cannot
guarantee that PHP 4 scripts will function 100% correctly under PHP 5.

Please note that in contrast to PHP 4, the default for the variable RegisterGlobals
is "off".

By default Apache uses PHP 4 for .php extension. If you don't want to rename all your
scripts to .php5 you can do the following:
Create a .htaccess file and place the following line AddType x-mapp-php5 .php in it.

This will tell Apache to use PHP 5 instead of PHP 4 for the extension .php in the
directory the .htaccess is placed and all sub-directories under it.

You can use AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php as an alternative for or instead of
AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

Gally
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gally » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:38 pm

Excellent work to both of you for persevering. I had the same problem but I am on a godaddy server.
I have had the fault for months.
/libraries/joomla/environment/uri.php on line 675

In the Godaddy help files it said:
By default, files with a .php extension run under PHP 4 and files with the .php5 extension run under PHP 5. The .htaccess file, located at the root of your site, can be used to change these default settings. The following entries in a directory's .htaccess file designate .php files to run under PHP 5 and .php4 files to run under PHP 4.
AddHandler x-httpd-php5 .php
AddHandler x-httpd-php .php4

It worked like a charm. I have been going crazy over this fault for a long time, unable to put a broken site live. I wouldn’t have thought of looking at the htaccess file.
I always find in forums you have 3 types of people
those who want to know,
those who think they now (often just condescending and feeding their own ego)
and those who use common sense and factual information to find a solution.
I couldn’t be happier now I have a result. Cheers ;D

msshoffman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by msshoffman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:42 am

Hi Galley,

Not sure what post finally fixed your problem but it really doesn't matter, right? As long as the problem is solved. I'm not sure if anything I posted helped, but I always appreciate the opportunity to read other posts and figure out if in some strange way it might be just the thing I was looking for.

So I think people willing to ask for help in the first place and those with a pleasant attitude trying to help even if it's not the solution or wrong forum or whatever, well, that's what makes the forum work to everyone's advantage.

Cheers!

tsunamix83
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tsunamix83 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:45 am

After upgrading 1.5.7 to 1.5.8 I started to get the same error when trying to log in:
Fatal error: Call to undefined method JURI::isinternal() in /.../components/com_user/controller.php on line 120
I read the whole thread here but my problem is not about php4 or php5 files.
As the error says the function is not defined.
I searched the function isInternal and found this page: http://api.joomla.org/__filesource/fsou ... .html#a671

isInternal function should be defined in libraries/joomla/environmet/uri.php but when I check the version I had there was no isInternal function. So I copied from the above page and paste into mine. Then it started to work. Logging in or logging out is not a problem anymore.

Update: The reason for the above error is because I thought I have 1.5.7 and I used the 1.5.7-to-1.5.8 patch package BUT I was wrong. my previous setup was not 1.5.7. isInternal function doesn't exist in 1.5.6 for example (uri.php) so make sure you have the right package for upgrade.

Hoosier3D
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Hoosier3D » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:17 am

Thank you so much to those of you who truly want to help. A lot of us novices have really good logical minds that know how to use scientific reasoning (logic) to get to the root of the problem, but just need a little help from those who are more familiar with Joomla! This thread solved my problem! :)

Magikality
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Magikality » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:12 pm

This may help someone, it helped me with the same problem

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=12729

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”