Media Manager error - unable to upload file

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
beebee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Media Manager error - unable to upload file

Post by beebee » Sun May 17, 2009 10:15 pm

Hi all,

New to Joomla and first time using the discussion forum...

I've been playing around in 1.5.10 for a couple months and all has been working great. However, in the last 24 hours I can no longer upload images using the Media Manager. I now get the error message:

"JFTP::store: Bad response Warning: Failed to move file! Error. Unable to upload file."

There's plenty of space left on the server and I haven't made any changes on my end such as upgrading my browser.

Anyone having the same problem or have ideas on how to fix?

Thanks

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Media Manager error - unable to upload file

Post by mandville » Mon May 18, 2009 1:05 am

has your host done something to change permissions?
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

MarinaBlue
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MarinaBlue » Mon May 18, 2009 1:20 am

I have the same problem with the templates. The Install tool works fine on the local site, but would not send the stuff online... So I upload them manually with FTP (actually I use Dreamweaver) but any basic FTP can do. The same way, you simply upload your image files on the site but be careful to put them in the right folder (normally it should be Stories in joomla).

Hope this helps :pop
In the joomla, the mighty joomla, the lion sleeps tonight
In the joomla, the quiet joomla, the lion sleeps tonight...

beebee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by beebee » Mon May 18, 2009 1:59 pm

[quote="MarinaBlue"]I have the same problem with the templates. The Install tool works fine on the local site, but would not send the stuff online... So I upload them manually with FTP (actually I use Dreamweaver) but any basic FTP can do. The same way, you simply upload your image files on the site but be careful to put them in the right folder (normally it should be Stories in joomla).

Thanks. I tried this too with both Dreamweaver and my hosts web based ftp and had the same problem. I'm hoping, as Mandville suggested in her post, that my host has changed permissions. I've contacted them but haven't heard back yet.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Mon May 18, 2009 7:31 pm

a quick trick to try is to change folder permissions to 775 and then back to 755 by FTP, that should reset permissions to you and the group, not apache.
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

MarinaBlue
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MarinaBlue » Mon May 18, 2009 11:00 pm

This has finally worked for me :

1) make a new php file (in DW for exemple) named path.php

2) upload it to your server (root folder of your site)

3) go to http://www.yoursite.com/path.php

4) you get a page featuring only one line: it is the path you have to put in joomla Global settings - Server - Path to Temp-folder.

5) but when you copypaste it you also add /temp in the end.

I can now upload everything fine. 8)

MarinaBlue
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MarinaBlue » Mon May 18, 2009 11:05 pm

Another thing, I have also read somewhere that many problems with Media Manager can be solved by enabling or..hm... disabling the Flash uploader in Global Settings.

beebee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by beebee » Tue May 19, 2009 12:54 pm

I'm happy to say Media Manger upload is working fine again, however I have no idea as to why since I didn't make any changes, and my web host claims they didn't either. It makes me a bit uncomfortable that I won't know how to fix the problem if it happens again. I'm glad this discussion thread will be here to refer back to. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

AdamDeAloe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AdamDeAloe » Tue May 26, 2009 12:57 am

Hi,

I'm having the same trouble when I try to upload a video with the Media Manager. I know that my FTP settings are correct, attempting to change my FTP password in global settings to one I KNOW is wrong always results in an error. So I set it correctly, it saves fine. I'm able to upload & install extensions with no trouble. My perms are ALL 644 & 755. Ownership is correct. I've set max upload to a gig. I've added the file extension of what I'm trying to upload (m4v - I'm using "AllVideos Reloaded" & following their instructions exactly). Just for the heck of it I tried changing "Check MIME Types" to No (I switched back to Yes once I saw it didn't fix it).

Somehow I'm able to upload a picture just fine, but I can't upload an m4v, even though I've made it legal in Global Settings.

What am I missing? I'm somewhat new to Joomla, but I'm an expert with Unix (and obviously FTP), logically I feel like I've done everything I can do to make this work, but I'm obviously missing something.

These are the allowed types I have set:
bmp,csv,doc,epg,gif,ico,jpg,odg,odp,ods,odt,pdf,png,ppt,swf,txt,xcf,xls,BMP,CSV,DOC,EPG,GIF,ICO,JPG,ODG,ODP,ODS,ODT,PDF,PNG,PPT,SWF,TXT,XCF,XLS,zip,ZIP,tgz,TGZ,tar,TAR,gz,GZ,mov,m4v,mp4,avi

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not trying to do anything crazy or unusual, I'm just trying to set up my site to play videos using "All Videos Reloaded," and I'm following their instructions exactly.

Thank you,
-Adam

Return to “Administration 1.5”