Joomla! 1.5 End Of Life and other questions

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
guandalino
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guandalino » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:54 pm

Hello from a newcomer!

Now that Joomla! 1.6 is almost out I have some questions... first of all, when will version 1.5 be discontinued? I mean, given that sooner or later Joomla! developement team won't release updates for 1.5 anymore, when could this event hypotetically happen? I'm interested not to be left on my own with an unmaintained framework if I decide to use extensions for Joomla! 1.5 in future projects.

Then I'm wondering if I should start to develop Joomla! extensions for 1.5 or 1.6. This also will influence the choice on which development book to buy. What's your opinion?

Thanks,
best regards.

pxforti
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Joomla! 1.5 End Of Life and other questions

Post by pxforti » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:45 pm

I still have users on Joomla 1.0.x and it continues to work fine. Joomla 1.5 will be around and strong for several years since Joomla 1.6 is not even released yet. And once it's released, it's adoption speed will depend on the speed in which the extension developers upgrade their software to work with Joomla 1.6.

But if I were a Joomla extension developer creating an new extension, I'd probably develop it for 1.6, unless you need it right away.
Joomla Website Design / CS-Cart Website Design
http://writenowdesign.com

techiherrald
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by techiherrald » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:19 pm

i hope that Joomla 1.5 is not discontinued now, because its hard for me to learn again for the newest version.
http://appsnity.com <<< AppsNity Project, Freebies Joomla Extensions
http://directory.appsnity.com <<< Get The HQ Freebies J! Extensions

pxforti
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by pxforti » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:36 pm

I don't think you need to worry about 1.5 going away for several years.
Joomla Website Design / CS-Cart Website Design
http://writenowdesign.com

guandalino
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guandalino » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:47 pm

Well, at this point a possibly interesting question is: if I decide to learn Joomla! 1.6 development, how much of this knowledge would still remain usable in Joomla! 1.5? I'd think to J!1.6 as a superset of J!1.5 that has kept the framework base structure mostly unchanged (just guessing), not a whole new code and/or philosophy, in which case version would have jumped to 2.0, not 1.6.

Anyway, thanks for you answers!

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:52 pm

1.5 will be supported for one year after 1.6 final has been released.

d3vlabs
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by d3vlabs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:29 am

@"Tonie" is that an "official" word or are you speculating like the rest of us?

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:47 pm

It used to be a year, but coincidentally I asked today on the developer mailing list. Here's the discussion. Especially Ian's last comment is important in this.

http://groups.google.com/group/joomlabu ... 629c0905a8

cortezthekiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cortezthekiller » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:38 am

I'm a bit concerned about the near future of Joomla. I dont know much about Joomla extensions development, but could someone help my with some answer to these questions?:

What will happen after end of life of 1.5 & 1.7 in 2012?
Will the 1.7 extensions be directly compatible with the new Joomla 2.5 ?

Currently there are tons of great extensions for 1.5 not supported in 1.7 and it seems impossible that they get available for the new Joomla version in 2012. Is not possible to built some "legacy mode" in Joomla >= 1.7 to admit 1.5 extensions?

thank you very much in advance
Rod

stuffdone
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by stuffdone » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:17 pm

I have many installed 1.5 versions and am also concerned about the time when security releases etc. are no longer made available.

While I am not so much concerned about the stability etc. I am concerned that upgrades to 1.6 or 1.7 will render many current extensions DOA.

I have already discovered a number of extensions presently installed on 1.5 versions do not work on later releases, thus blocking upgrades. There is no certainty that all current extensions will work if I were to upgrade and I don't want to have to re-invent the wheel for a large number of customers at my own expense while the economy is so tough.

Is there a specific "plan" with regards support, at least for security updates, to continue for 1.5?

If/when the time comes 1.5 is finally put to rest, will there be a tool to facilitate updates that can test various extensions before a site is "trashed" in the update process? I now use an extension to easily update within versions which is quite handy. Perhaps a similar extension to update from 1.5 to 1.6 or 1.7 that could warn of issues with current extensions before committing to the update?

Thanks !

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”