Upgrading from one beta to the next

This board for support questions on Joomla 1.6 RC (= Release Candidate - which should NOT be used on a production server) is NO longer active because Joomla 1.6.0 has been released.

>> For Joomla! 1.6 Support Questions, please use http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=614 instead <<
iftrueelsefalse
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Upgrading from one beta to the next

Post by iftrueelsefalse » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:04 am

Is it posible to upgrade beta 13 to 14 etc?
Or do you always have to reset everything?
Can you just extract the content and replace the old files?
Is this a feature that's not available yet?
I mean the upgrade xml http://update.joomla.org/core/extension.xml function is stuck on Joomla 1.6b11

furthermore when I tried it it failed because my server doesn't support BZ.

Alex Dobrin
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Upgrading from one beta to the next

Post by Alex Dobrin » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:50 am

You can just extract the files in the beta 14 pack over the ones in beta 13.
Just make sure you aren't overriding the file configuration.php and remove the installation folder after that.

Make a back-up before doing this, just in case something goes wrong. :)
My latest project - http://www.extraglaze.co.uk/

mdyrhaug
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mdyrhaug » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:23 am

If the new release has table changes then doing this may spell trouble. Would this be something found in the release notes? Hopefully they will publish update packages during the Release Candidate phase.

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:26 am

if you look in the installation/sql/mysql/ folder you'll find several sql files that you can execute to accomplish different things. If there is an update from one beta to another, the file will be named accordingly. From 14 to 15, the file is "joomla_update_16beta15.sql"

I'm not sure if there is an easier way to do this, but what I do is copy the sql file and edit the copy. Specifically, I replace "#__" with my own prefix (default is "jos_")

Then from the server console, I execute this mysql command:

Code: Select all

mysql -u username -p -D databasename < joomla_update_16beta15.sql
You'll be prompted for your mysql password and then it's done.
My extensions: http://extensions.joomla.org/profile/pr ... ails/18398
Honk if this signature offends you.

ThomasRH
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ThomasRH » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:55 am

I am a complete beginner and proud that I am limping along after installing 1.6b14. I have struggled to design a site that could be ready to go when the final release comes. However I am having trouble with the simple problem of upgrading to 1.6b15. I installed 14 by unzipping the download in a folder on my computer and then uploading it (time consuming!) to my site on my host. Now I go to upgrade in the Extension Manager and find 1.6b11. This would be a step back. I don't want to lose what I've done. And I don't want to go through the long process of unzipping 1.6b15 and uploading, and I don't even know if that would work. I didn't understand what was said above about extracting files over other files. Unzipping the file on the server I use is complex (there is no cpanel) but if that is that best way to go I can learn it. I hope someone will help me limp along to the next level. I also worry about when RC1 comes out how I will upgrade to that. I wouldn't mind waiting until then if it will be easier. Thanks.!

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Basically, overwrite the old version with the new version. It will and does work. This is my method (although I am a little more direct about it). My process begins with a database dump and copying the entire site to a folder that indicates its version number (site > site_ b14). Then I cause the server to download the latest version into the site folder. I decompress it in the site folder, delete the SQL dump and the archive from the site folder and search the installation directory for SQL updates (I describe what to do with those in my previous post). When I'm finished, I have a previous version and a new version that I can compare.

You'll get a couple of extra files in the installation directory, one of which I described in my previous post.

Forget about upgrade in the extension manager - it's not relevant to the task at hand.

petesky
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by petesky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:04 am

Good Morning !

The new 1.6 Beta is very fast but still missing an inline update like Wordpress has.

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:52 pm

That part doesn't work in the beta, but will be part of the final release.

ThomasRH
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ThomasRH » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:12 pm

I am continuing with my question answered on Oct 28 by stutteringp0et. I less advanced and do not know 1) what a "database dump" is and 2) how to do it. 3) I don't know how to "cause the server to download the latest version" -- I did it by downloading the zip to my computer and then unzipping and then uploading. I think you are talking about something different. I think this is hard (but possible) through my server which does not have a cpanel. 4) is "decompress" the same as "unzip". -- you can see how much a beginner I am. Should I just wait until RC1 when the Update manager will work to take me from b14 to RC1 or won't it work that way? any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Equality4xy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Equality4xy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:28 pm

thersh wrote:I am continuing with my question answered on Oct 28 by stutteringp0et. I less advanced and do not know 1) what a "database dump" is and 2) how to do it. 3) I don't know how to "cause the server to download the latest version" -- I did it by downloading the zip to my computer and then unzipping and then uploading. I think you are talking about something different. I think this is hard (but possible) through my server which does not have a cpanel. 4) is "decompress" the same as "unzip". -- you can see how much a beginner I am. Should I just wait until RC1 when the Update manager will work to take me from b14 to RC1 or won't it work that way? any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
1) A Database Dump: (see Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_dump ) basically it is .sql file that may or may not be compressed in a .zip or .tar.gz depending on your export settings. It is exported from your MySQL database using any number of database management tools from CLI (Command Line Interface) to phpMyAdmin.

2) Most likely your host provides you with phpMyAdmin and it was how you created the database you use for Joomla. Go to it and your database and then to "Export". The default will be to export your entire database as a .sql file. Press "Go" to start the "dump".

3) stutteringp0et is talking about using an SSH client (such as PuTTY http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ ) to access the servers command line (bash) or if you have the machine at home or office that you host from, accessing the terminal. You probably don't know how and will just use your favorite FTP client to cut and paste all your files to a subfolder of your root directory called "beta14" or something and then upload the new files in the zip file to your root. Using SSH it is much easier and faster if you know what you are doing.

I hope that helps.
Last edited by Equality4xy on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:18 pm

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Equality4xy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Equality4xy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:43 pm

stutteringp0et wrote:I couldn't have said it better myself.
Thanks.

I might just install beta 15 today and try to upgrade to RC1 when it is released, thanks to your upgrade instructions.

ThomasRH
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ThomasRH » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:20 am

Thanks. I feel I am getting somewhere. I see how to do the dump. Now I realize I'm not sure about why to do it. Is the idea that the dump is the database for the newest version (now RC1) or is more as a backup for the last one to be on the safe side before upgrading (I use Akeeba to backup which I thought was enough).

Equality4xy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Equality4xy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:27 am

To create another working database by importing to a new database the export from your previous version. Keeping your old database and a sub-folder containing the previous version pointing to that old database.

You then upgrade the new database you imported by running the sql updates that he mentioned contained in the new beta , RC or Final Release. At least that is how I read it.

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:25 pm

The "WHY" of the dump is so you can have a point-in-time version that goes along with your filesystem backup. I don't know if it's important to you, but it's important to me. If something changes between b15 and rc1 and one of my extensions doesn't function anymore, I can take a look at the differences between what I backed up for b15 and what I have installed now for rc1. Without both the filesystem and database backup, there might be a change that take forever to find.

Also, with both backups, you can return to the previous version with little effort.

I believe that anything worth backing up is worth backing up twice. I've got a backup for each of the beta releases, so that's 15.

ThomasRH
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ThomasRH » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:10 am

Thank you for your patience. Now a new problem. A few steps forward and a few backwards. I now have followed the above advice and have managed to backup with Akeeba, do a database dump, and install 1.6RC1 into a new directory. It opens fine but did not connect to my database. However if I change from jos_ to bak_ it does pick up the database. I notice that my database contains two groups of files with the same names jos and bak. I also notice Joomla docs say never to have bak_ as the preface. But if I go to jos_ nothing is there. Also, with bak, even though everything is there, only some of the articles are there in the manager. To get the rest I have to go to Select by Categories and choose the categories. This didn't happen in 1.6b14. Is this new to 1.6RC1? Thanks!

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:24 pm

So you jumped from beta 14, past beta 15, straight to RC1.

There were some database updates that happened in beta 15 which would need to be applied before jumping to RC1.

Are you using Akeeba 3.1.3 or later? Their own website states that you must use 3.1.3 or later on any joomla 1.6beta13 or later site. Their 3.1.3 update addressed changes to table structure in 1.6 beta 13. Using an earlier installed version could definitely bork your site.

I wouldn't recommend relying on any extensions until both Joomla and the particular extension is in a final release.

My development sites are only used for developing my own extensions. Nothing else is installed.

ThomasRH
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ThomasRH » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:11 pm

I did back it up in 3.1.4 but did not use the backup when I installed RC1. I made a new directory and unzipped the zip file there and installed RC1. When it asked for database name that's when the error happened. There are two sets of files bak and jos and all is fine with the bak but not the jos. Since the bak seem correct, I may try deleting the jos and then changing the bak to jos on the others. But first, I am going to contact server who keep backups for five days. I will try to get them to make the last database I used before the problem so I can check if there are bak's there also. If not, I'll use that for my database. I don't know if this makes sense. Otherwise, I'll have to start all over again. Worse things can happen.

ThomasRH
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ThomasRH » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:56 pm

I think I now understand what you are saying. I will be waiting until 1.6.0 to bring in my data. I'm going to copy what I have and save it for then. I see what you mean about the databases changing from version to version. So what has happened so far has been a learning experience. Thanks.

FitzBeck
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by FitzBeck » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:46 am

Hi All

I've been developing a site and updating it with new betas as they become available. At the moment i'm at beta14 and wanting to go to RC. To manage the database changes i've been opening the sql files mentioned above (in the installation/sql/mysql folder ) and updating the database manually using phpMyAdmin ... this seems to have been working up to this point.

Now i'm at beta 14 and see the sql file for 14 to 15 is quite complex and i don't fancy doing this manually. So i have two questions:

1) Should i update from beta 14 to 15 and then go to RC, or can i jump from 14 to RC? - there doesn't appear to be any DB alts from 15 to RC.

2) stutteringp0et mentions using the server consul to update the db ( by running: mysql -u username -p -D databasename < joomla_update_16beta15.sql ...), i didn't know this was possible. Perhaps i should give this a go ... i assume this is probably what i should have been doing all along instead of manually updating. I've not used a server consult before - is there any more information about this process available?

thanks.

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:57 pm

The SQL files are composed of queries. Logically, you could just copy the SQL file, replace #_ with your prefix, and run it via phpMyAdmin.

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:29 pm

Server console similar to using DOS, if you're familiar with that. Your webserver has one, but you may not have access to it. Most hosts will give their clients access via SSH, but this isn't always the case.

If you're using phpMyAdmin, then mbabker has answered your question above. That would be easier than the method I use. I'm just a console kinda guy.

FitzBeck
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by FitzBeck » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:21 am

Gentlemen, thank you kindly for your responses.

the phpMyAdmin method seems to have worked well. I copied the queries into the SQL Query window and ran them one by one - replacing the #__ to jos_ as i went and it looks good so far.

this has been a big time saver. Thanks again.

N.B. For the record:

I didn't update to beta15 or RC between 14 and Stable ... i just went straight to Stable from 14 but ran the queries from the files: joomla_update_16beta15.sql and joomla_update_16ga.sql

Return to “Joomla! 1.6 RC Support [closed]”