Upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ggouweloos
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6

Post by ggouweloos » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Is there any manual available how to upgrade from 1.5.x to 1.6 ?

deleted user

Re: Upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6

Post by deleted user » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:09 pm

At this time, many of the docs still need updating on converting from 1.5 to 1.6. In terms of migrating data, there is not a core solution. You can use jUpgrade for this. http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... tion/11658

mazagane
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mazagane » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:34 pm

using juprade version 0.5.1

but still not working for me. the process still downloading and extracting all the time. please give a look to the photo
Joomla installed in Ubuntu 10.10
browsers used : (firefox and chrome ) from windows

http://i671.[spam].com/albums/vv77 ... t002-4.png

help please !!!!

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:08 pm

You'll need to report this on Matias' site since this isn't a support forum for a third party extension. You can visit his forums at http://www.matware.com.ar/foros/jupgrade.html

ggouweloos
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ggouweloos » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:39 pm

So the dev team did not realize a core 1.5 to 1.6 solution?
In my opinion all sites out there in the world should be able to upgrade with just a mouseclick.
A CMS-framework is great, but a lack of compatibility is a major weakness.

Part of the dev team should be working on a standardized package for upgrades. That also gives 3rd party developers a toolkit to write out-of-the-box solutions for their components, modules and plugins to upgrade to newer versions.

Don't get me wrong. J1.6 is a good step forward as far I can see now. BUT:
All 1.5 sites will get outdated within an amount of time. There still are 100K-thousands of 1.0.x sites out there because a lack of a good upgrade toolkit for core and third party addons.

Tarun
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Tarun » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:56 pm

Well said.

I'm currently wondering if there's a way to move your content such as news articles, menu configurations, etc. from 1.5 to 1.6.

Also, has anyone noticed how ugly the SEF is? It's something ugly like: example.com/?id=123-your-title-here

trouble
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by trouble » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:20 am

ggouweloos wrote:So the dev team did not realize a core 1.5 to 1.6 solution?
In my opinion all sites out there in the world should be able to upgrade with just a mouseclick.

Part of the dev team should be working on a standardized package for upgrades. That also gives 3rd party developers a toolkit to write out-of-the-box solutions for their components, modules and plugins to upgrade to newer versions.

All 1.5 sites will get outdated within an amount of time. There still are 100K-thousands of 1.0.x sites out there because a lack of a good upgrade toolkit for core and third party addons.
+1

Because of this I am not particularly pleased or happy with Joomla any more.

maguirre
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by maguirre » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:34 am

mazagane wrote:using juprade version 0.5.1

but still not working for me. the process still downloading and extracting all the time. please give a look to the photo
Joomla installed in Ubuntu 10.10
browsers used : (firefox and chrome ) from windows

http://i671.[spam].com/albums/vv77 ... t002-4.png

help please !!!!
Hi

jUpgrade download the joomla 1.6 package from forge.joomla.org servers. Today i think that the server is very busy and maybe returns timeouts.

If you like to test jUPgrade, you need to download this file:

http://anonymous:@joomlacode.org/svn/jo ... omla16.zip

and put into your ROOT/tmp directory. Then go to jUpgrade preferences and disable download and re-run the upgrade.
Matias Aguirre
Linux User #: 78193
http://www.matware.com.ar/

erichhaubrich
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by erichhaubrich » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:55 am

I just tried the version of JUpgrade that's on the extensions directory and it failed. Also, it basically installed the fragments of the existing site in a new directory called /jugrade.

So far not looking good. Is this the only migration path to 1.6? The development team forgot that some of us have existing sites we'd like to use 1.6 for!?

maguirre
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by maguirre » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:03 am

@erichhaubrich

the jupgrade directory is the new site using joomla 1.6. you can access to the site going to:

http://YOUR-URL/jupgrade/
Matias Aguirre

skydart
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by skydart » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:14 am

ggouweloos wrote:So the dev team did not realize a core 1.5 to 1.6 solution?

AMEN! Well Stated!

bobhair
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bobhair » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:17 am

Why would Joomla release a new version and not have current docs? It's backwards. :eek:

Tarun
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Tarun » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:31 am

Should see my post about how much is wrong with this release.

And I 100% agree that you should be able to run an upgrade script with a mouseclick.

erichhaubrich
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by erichhaubrich » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:47 am

maguirre wrote:@erichhaubrich

the jupgrade directory is the new site using joomla 1.6. you can access to the site going to:

http://YOUR-URL/jupgrade/
Yes, that is the new directory. But why would I want my brand new installation to be in that directory? I sort of like to keep Joomla in the http://MY-URL/ directory.

I know that you can move files after the install, etc. but why not offer the option to install the new version in the proper directory of the site owner's choosing?

Also: Gantry does not play well with 1.6, so if you have a Rockttheme template you're going to have to wait a little while.

maguirre
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by maguirre » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:42 am

The new Joomla 1.6 installation is in that directory because you need to test and migrate other 3rd extensions (for example, you need to contact with Rockettheme to get a template compatible with Joomla 1.6. jUpgrade migrator is not responsible of 3rd extensions/modules/templates)

jUpgrade not modify any aspect of the live site.
Matias Aguirre

phtvs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by phtvs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:21 am

question is...

Do you need to upgrade now?

I dont need a new version. 1.5 is stable and working good for me.

Besides, the extensions that I use on my site are not compatible with 1.6. It takes a while before the extensions are 1.6 ready. So upgrading now is out off the question.

version 1.6 is good for new, fresh joomla install.

So, I let this 1.6 version pass for now...

trouble
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by trouble » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:26 am

phtvs wrote:question is...

Do you need to upgrade now?
Yes! Very much so.

I developed a community web site in 1.5 on the premise that the next version would include proper ACL in a timely fashion.

Three years later and it is finally here.

Development on that web site came to an abrupt stop a long time ago when we needed proper ACL, but it wasn't there.

pixiedavis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pixiedavis » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:54 am

Very disappointing.

I have several joomla sites on 1.5.xx and always upgrade when available.

However, there is no upgrade option for 1.5 to 1.6.

I agree, its very good for a new fresh install, but what about existing users. This is a MAJOR oversight.

Can anyone please work out how to either upgrade or give me a solution on how to get all my content and database etc.. into the 1.6 version.

regards

ironman2003
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ironman2003 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 pm

The content is a bit of a challenge, from what I have seen through the upgrade progress using jUpgrade, is that it doesn't migrate permissions from 1.5 to 1.6. This prevents the proper display of the articles/content.

I had to go in an re-create my categories and sections first, then re-assign the content to their respective positions. This in turn, started allowing my content to appear. In short, this is a dirty way of forcing content to appear, but is a work around for now.

The jUpgrade is a work in progress in terms of its capabilities, so I don't expect the third party to work any miracles overnight on this one since they are not really 'Joomla'.

I like many have been a bit puzzled/concerned in respect to the timing of the 1.6 release as well. With the lack of proper documentation, I spent a good part of the day yesterday fighting with the system to get it to bend to my will in the display of my content. I tested 1.6 way back in the early alpha days and fell in love with the ACL function and some of the new features but decided to wait until 1.6 was feature final and released before I tried it out.

My belief as of now is that 1.6 is probably going to be a good release version if you are starting a site from scratch but not if you are going to migrate at least until there is a complete migration script out there which will work out of the box. jUpgrade does that for the most part, but not in it's entirety. For most users, I would recommend waiting a while longer to jump into the full 1.6 ship until after 1.6 is well documented and then supported with more than just one migration script.

defeedme
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by defeedme » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Glad I'm not the only one....
I am quite disappointed to hear that the transition to 1.6 from 1.5 will be a "Migration" and not an "upgrade". I can understand going from 1.0 to 1.5 since 1.0 was the initial build and still had alot of mambo code - but going from 1.5 to 1.6 I really thought you guys could've figured it out by now and streamlined an upgrade. It took many tedious hours to migrate from 1.0 to 1.5 with alot of frustration / data loss and my site is not even that big. I'm not looking forward to another migration and probably not the only one. I truly appreciate all the work that went into making 1.6 probably the best CMS out there, but with all that hard work it's such a shame that there are many loyal 1.5 users that will be frustrated and confused by this daunting task. The main question for most 1.5 users will be is it worth the time, effort and most importantly, risk.

Daniel Tulp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Daniel Tulp » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:19 pm

I also agree that a good working update/migrate script is lacking, yet again, is a big flaw. I can see that you want to release this build and take steps in the development of Joomla! nut at least create the migration script yourselves and don't let a third party do this on his own (no offence maguirre, I totally dig your effort in this, but no one by himself is a match for a whole team of developers)

I suggest that if the dev team decided Mattias extension is the way to go (http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 5#p2364425), they should support him in development
My personal website: http://www.danieltulp.nl
My photo showcade: http://photo.danieltulp.nl

balam
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by balam » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:22 pm

So the dev team did not realize a core 1.5 to 1.6 solution?

I do Agreee
if the joomla developers work hard in new core files, please consider in making a toolkit that works well.
Art changes . . . lives change . . . we change.

mazagane
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mazagane » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:57 am

Please try this working full link how to upgrade from 1.5.22 to 1.6
http://unixmen.com/joomla-tutorials/144 ... o-16-final

VegardAa
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by VegardAa » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:08 am

Oh joy! I've got like 68 portals to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6. I'm not going to do this now of course. I'll have to wait until the summer or whenever the extensions I need is available for 1.6. I remember upgrading from 1.0 to 1.5 and all the bugs that came a long with it.. This is quite a slap in the face..

Reminds me of Windows Vista..

I bet 1.6 is great, but with no extensions or documentation, I'll have to wait before I can praise the Joomla dev team..

fidel7
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fidel7 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:04 pm

For those who said that there should be a button to click to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6: yes, that'd be nice! Infact, being an open source and free software project, you're were and are more than welcome to contribute code that would make this happen. It definitely sounds like a good idea! :)

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by dhuelsmann » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

free-rebel
I've been banned!

Post by free-rebel » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:47 pm

welcome tutorial

excellent job
I m Rebel ...

Simon64
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Simon64 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:14 am

I have to admit I use joomla because I'm not a web expert so to make moving from 1.5 to 1.6 difficult is not really upkeeping the spirit of joomla. I use joomla because it is easy to use (well sort of it could be less round the houses hopeully 1.6 is). if upgrading is so hard people will loose interest. I run a website for a not for profit organisation and am as it is fighting a loosing battle to get people to understand that we have a website as they prefer facebook, if managing the website is so hard I'll never find someone to take over my job.

Don't get me wrong i appreciate all the hard work you guys put in and have made it possible for a near noob to be able to run a website with ease but when you offer the public something you need to do things in order and make sure continuity is guaranteed.

I'll give 1.6 a go on a new website I'm rebuilding but the upgrade of another one is going to have to wait. As for another i have I can just wipe it clean at it's so small
www.rotaract1070.org.uk - have even more fun

mamuna2m
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mamuna2m » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:18 am

Best regards, Md. Abdullah Al Mamun, Sr. Web Development Engineer
Cell: +8801741675667
E-mail: developermamun@gmail.com
Dhaka, Bangladesh, http://www.abdullah-al-mamun.info/

mamuna2m
Joomla! Enthusiast