Sigplus- Watermarking Bug?

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
mishpish
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Sigplus- Watermarking Bug?

Post by mishpish » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi,

I'm using Sigplus v1.3.2 on Joomla v1.5.15. I'd like to watermark the images in my galleries.

I followed the instructions in sigplus' configuration docs: I put {gallery watermark=1 watermark:position=c watermark:x=0 watermark:y=0}art{/gallery} into the custom settings of the advanced parameters of that particular gallery/module. I put a watermark.png that I made into the image base folder I created in the plug-in parameters.

When I clicked on the thumbnails in the gallery/module on my front page, the lightbox opens up, but there's nothing in it now. When I remove the watermark code from the custom settings, the images open in the lightbox just fine.

I then put watermark.png into the gallery folder itself instead of the image base folder. It worked; when I clicked on the thumbs, the images opened in the lightbox with the watermark on them; but the last image in the gallery is of the watermark.

Can anyone help me figure out how to get the watermark on the images without it being an additional image in my gallery? Thanks.

hunyadi
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Sigplus- Watermarking Bug?

Post by hunyadi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:35 pm

One quick fix is to use a labels.txt file. When a labels.txt file is present, only those images are shown by default that are listed in the labels file.

If the lightbox pops up showing no image, it is usually a sign that in some sense a wrong URL to the image has been generated where the image is nowhere to be found. If you got no errors, I suppose the watermarked images have been generated but saved at a different location from where they are expected to be.

It would be great if you could provide a link to where the issue is to be seen in action.

From your explanation it is not clear to me whether you have a problem with the sigplus plug-in or the module. The module does not read the configuration settings of the plug-in and vice versa. The module, however, does not have an image base folder, which means that the only place you could put watermark.png in the current implementation of the sigplus module is the image gallery folder. The upcoming version will be more flexible in this respect, and also look for the watermark image in the subfolder watermark (or whatever you set the name to in the back-end), so that the entire search sequence will be as follows:
  1. image galley folder, e.g. /www/images/stories/myfolder/watermark.png
  2. watermark subfolder, e.g. /www/images/stories/myfolder/watermark/watermark.png
  3. image base folder (for the plug-in only), e.g. e.g. /www/images/stories/watermark.png
This means you will be able to have a gallery-specific watermark in the subfolder watermark without using a labels.txt file and the watermark appearing as an image in the gallery.

hunyadi
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by hunyadi » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:28 pm

The outlined behavior is available as of sigplus version 1.3.2.7 (for Joomla 1.5) and 1.4.0.9 (for Joomla 1.6), which also address the bug explained in the original post where the watermark would not be found in the image base folder.

harryharry
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by harryharry » Wed May 18, 2011 7:05 pm

hello.
I used the module to create a gallery from a specific folder. I saved a watermark.png in that folder and it works ok but i don't want the watermark.png to be visible in the gallery as a separate image. Is there any way i can do this?? Maybe if i somehow excluded all .png files from the gallery (since all my images are in jpg format)? Is it possible?
thanks in advance

hunyadi
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by hunyadi » Wed May 18, 2011 9:53 pm

I think one of my previous posts in this very same thread should answer this. In short, you should create a subfolder watermark inside the image gallery folder, and place watermark.png within that subfolder. Of course, you can also use a labels.txt file and list all images save the watermark, which will display all the images but the watermark image.

harryharry
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by harryharry » Wed May 18, 2011 10:30 pm

thanks for the quick response.
i did that and the resulting image url is too messed up. is there a way to fix that or i just have to live with that?

hunyadi
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by hunyadi » Wed May 18, 2011 10:54 pm

This is most likely because you are instructing sigplus to use the cache folder to save generated images to (which is the default setting for a fresh sigplus installation). However, before asking any questions here or in other forums, let me encourage you to browse the sigplus documentation, which is a valuable resource. There is a section on Caching explained, which might be of interest to you in why the URL looks rather cryptic.

harryharry
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by harryharry » Wed May 18, 2011 11:33 pm

Well i read it and i did't understand a thing. I have no programming knowledge. It is obvious that if i had i wouldn't have to ask for something like that. Of course you don't have to teach me anything. I will search for something less complicated than that. Thank you for your time.

hunyadi
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by hunyadi » Thu May 19, 2011 8:07 am

I think few things can be simpler than switching a radio button Use cache folder for generated images from Yes to No in order to solve a problem. If you find a simpler approach, please make sure to share it. Personally, I like explanations as to why things work the way they do, but I agree that not everyone may share my enthusiasm, please forgive me for this.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”