shorter URL for Joomla web pages?

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.
pjki
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

shorter URL for Joomla web pages?

Post by pjki » Tue May 03, 2011 7:26 pm

I read a post about making the URLs on Joomla more readable? shorter? I read this: Go to Admin backend and look at the Configuration. Change your htaccess.txt to .htaccess (with Apache) and TURN ON SEF ( Search Engine Friendly) URLs.

But when I tried that, it destroyed the page -- it looked like a page without STYLES -- a white page with the list of text on the page. My site is shaky when I make changes on it. Once I tried to update and the entire site went blank. Fortunately, because I back up, I was able to restore it. It's the Beez template 1.5.14 version.

But turning on SEF didn't work. And I don't want to mess with the htaccess unless that is the appropriate way to get that to work.

I've tried it on 2 sites now, and just turning ON the SEF does not work at all. It destroys the styles on the site.

g1smd
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: shorter URL for Joomla web pages?

Post by g1smd » Tue May 03, 2011 9:11 pm

This happens when the links pointing to the stylesheets are relative links and no longer correctly point to the stylesheet file URL.
Online since 1995.

dagam3rz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dagam3rz » Tue May 03, 2011 11:52 pm

I encountered that problem before and I didn't get any reply so I have decided to manually modify my htaccess.

pjki
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pjki » Fri May 06, 2011 4:22 am

Dagam3rz, how did it work for you? I wouldn't know how to manually modify my htaccess so I better not attempt that. But did it work for you?

pjki
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pjki » Sat May 07, 2011 4:56 am

Well, I appreciate your response even if we don't have an answer because it shows people are at least trying to suggest. I'll do a search on the htaccess joomla and just see what it's all about. Not sure how that ties in to a shorter URL, but I'll do a little reading and if I come up with something definitive and straightforward, I'll post back. Thank you.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”