AdminExile - Totally Locked Out Cannot Access Backend Login

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Ceresia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

AdminExile - Totally Locked Out Cannot Access Backend Login

Post by Ceresia » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:08 pm

I created my first and only website using Joomla 1.7 a few weeks ago. I then installed AdminExile as I was concerned about security. I was a bit reluctant as I had previously used another backend token extension which had totally locked me out. Nevertheless this one had great reviews so I proceeded. All was good and well until I tried to access the backend from my home computer. I entered the token I had created but could not access the login. I tried this many times, all to no avail. I then used the developer's code to try to reset the token in a DB query. This did not help. I then decided to use the developer's code to disable the plugin. This did not help either. I am completely locked out of the backend and am at my wit's end. The hosting company cannot help me, the developer is trying to help but with limited success and I don't know enough about Joomla and cpanel to start messing around.
I desperately need to get my site back. Is there anyone out there at all who can help me?
Last edited by Ceresia on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: AdminExile - Totally Locked Out and Developer Not Respon

Post by aemiller » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Do you have a backup?

Can you delete and restore site?

Ceresia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Ceresia » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:16 am

Thank you so much for your reply. I do have a backup and will investigate deleting and restoring. I'm a bit anxious about doing that however. The message I get when trying to access the backend is "The page isn't redirecting properly
Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."
Sounds rather ominous! Other browssers are telling me there are too many redirects.
God only knows what has happened! Does anyone think it's possible to recover from this without deleting and restoring the whole site?

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:10 am

I am not familiar with AdminExile. Having said that, this is the instructions for resetting a password through your database . http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_recov ... assword%3F

Change the Password in the Database
If the admin user is still defined, the simplest option is to change the password in the database to a known value. This requires that you have access to the MySQL database using phpMyAdmin.
1. Navigate to phpMyAdmin and select the database for the Joomla! site in the left-hand drop-down list box. This will show the database tables on the left side of the screen.
2. Click on the table "jos_users" in the list of tables.
3. Click on the "Browse" button in the top toolbar. This will show all of the users that are set up for this site.
4. Find the user whose password you want to change and press the Edit icon for this row.
5. A form will display that allows you to edit the password field. Copy the value
d2064d358136996bd22421584a7cb33e:trd7TvKHx6dMeoMmBVxYmg0vuXEA4199 into the password field and press the Go button. phpMyAdmin should display the message "Affected rows: 1". At this point, the password should be changed to "secret".
6. Log in with this user and password and change the password of this user to a secure value. Check all of the users using the User Manager to make sure they are legitimate. If you have been hacked, you may want to change all of the passwords on the site.

I hope that helps.

Ceresia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: AdminExile - Totally Locked Out Cannot Access Backend Lo

Post by Ceresia » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:02 am

I really appreciate your help - thank you very much. However the problem is that I cannot access the Joomla login page for the backend. It's not a problem with my admin password. I just cannot get to the login page. When I try to access the administrator login page I just get: ""The page isn't redirecting properly
Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."
The AdminExile plugin has caused the page to redirect but I have no idea where to! I may have to restore from a backup. This backup was taken before I installed the AdminExile plugin. Sorry for such a silly question, but will restoring my site from this backup restore my site minus the new plugin files? I need to make sure before I make another huge mistake!

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:12 pm

Did you do the backup before of after you installed the plugin?

If you did the backup after the plug-in installation, then was it before you activated the plugin? If the activated plugin is part of the backup then you may need to try to go after it another way.

It should be possible to access your site via the webhost control panel. Doing that should allow you to delete the plugin via the c-panel file management and via the c-panel dbase. I don't know what if anything you might need to change in your htaccess file if you go this route.

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Why doesn't anyone ever contact the developer?

I periodically search the forums for reference to my extensions and always find someone discussing an issue that they haven't contacted me about.

To regain access to your back-end after activating AdminExile - you must rename a file using SSH or (s)FTP.

Browse your joomla installation plugins/system directory and find the adminexile directory. Inside that directory, find the file "adminexile.php" and rename it. Adding an "x" to the filename will do the trick (like adminexilex.php).

When the filename is changed, the plugin cannot run and you will regain access to your site. At this point you should reset the adminexile access key and change the filename back to adminexile.php.

If you want to remove adminexile, disable the plugin using the publishing option in the plugin configuration, or the buttons in the plugin list. Before uninstalling, rename the adminexile.php file back to its original name, then uninstall.
My extensions: http://extensions.joomla.org/profile/pr ... ails/18398
Honk if this signature offends you.

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Code: Select all

the developer is trying to help but with limited success and I don't know enough about Joomla and cpanel to start messing around.
I desperately need to get my site back. Is there anyone out there at all who can help me?
stutteringp0et - you offer good words of advice. It sounds like Ceresia felt he was getting inadequate support (or he was feeling desperate).

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:01 am

I haven't heard from this person.

I wonder if he/she downloaded from one of the extension clone sites and attempted to contact them. Those sites really bother me. Many of the ones I've found seem to imply that the extensions available for download are developed by them.

behtash881
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by behtash881 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:32 pm

Im actually going through same problem. I think problem is more severe than this! I even tried to change my password from data base, but it seems like my admin account was deleted for good. No information is on record for me!

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 pm

AdminExile has one very specific instance where it queries the user table. ONLY if the maillink option is enabled (and used) does the plugin query the user database, and it's a select query to retrieve the users email address. No UPDATE or DELETE queries are used on any table except #__plg_system_adminexile

There is a very detailed process described on my site which can be used to regain access if an administrator gets locked out of the backend - and it only involves renaming the same file twice. That file is the plugin PHP file itself.

Slackervaara
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Slackervaara » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:15 pm

I think a buggy version of AdminExile gave me this problem, but it was fixed by the suggestion here to change:
plugins/system/adminexile/adminexile.php
to:
plugins/system/adminexile/Xadminexile.php

Then I could log in in administration, where I unistalled AdminExile and installed latest version of AdminExile

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”