[DUPLICATE] Double login issue

ford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

[DUPLICATE] Double login issue

Post by ford » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:10 pm

I've seen this reported here and there in various forums and it is really annoying. I can't figure out what is going on and what might be causing this.

I have two Joomla 1.0.8 installations that were recently upgraded via .9 to .10. Both run fresh Community Builder 1.0 installations as their only 3rd party add-on with the CB login module. The bug has happened in all of these three releases, so it doesn't seem to be fixed.

Now - in both cases - I'm experiencing the "double" login bug at random. I attempt to log in as "admin" via the frontend (nobody else is logged in) and nothing happens. No user menus, nothing. Then I try to log in again, and I'm in. Mostly, I succeed on second login, but right now I can't seem to login at all with admin credentials in IE6.

There are no apparent changes in the URL as reported elsewhere. No issues in the backend.

The bug happens both on IE6 and FF1.5.0.4 (WinXP with SP2). Remote server is running PHP 4.4.1, MySQL 4.0.24 on a Debian shared host. Safe Mode is on. Session Authentication Method is Level 3. Cache is on, 900 seconds. I never allow my browser to store passwords and the "Remember me" is never ticked.

Cheers

Ford :)

PS : sorry I can now see that others have posted this issue in the same forum. Forgive me.
Last edited by Robin on Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Double login issue

Post by ford » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:35 pm

OK. I did some further testing in FireFox.

If I clear out all private information (including cookies) and attempt to login, the bug appears. Second (usually) login attempt is then successful. I then log out. A new attempt at logging in now works the first time. Now if I clear all private information in the browser (including cookies) the bug reappears.

Ford

eyezberg
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by eyezberg » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:20 pm

So logically, it fails if there is no cookie from a previous visit..?!
Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing.
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. AE
http://joomla15.[URL banned].com for J! 1.5 screenshots
http://www.eyezberg.com

RobS
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by RobS » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:13 pm

Can you clear all cookies and then try and login and then see if there is a cookie from your website?  Perhaps it is failing to create a new cookie...
Rob Schley - Open Source Matters
Webimagery - http://www.webimagery.net/ - Professional Consulting Services
JXtended - http://www.jxtended.com/ - Free and Commercial Joomla! Extensions

ford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ford » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:22 pm

Hi again

I'll get back to you in an hour or so with a more thorough work-up. Just have to go out and congratulate some newly-baked parents :laugh:

See ya

Ford

ford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ford » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:19 pm

IE6 experience

I'm logging into my 1.0.10 frontend (via CB login module - final version) AND backend and it isn't creating any cookie, regardless of whether I'm let through or not. This is the case for Session Authentication Methods 3, 2 and 1 (don't know exactly what the differences are, so sorry if this is just informational noise).

But:

If I tick "Remember me", a cookie is created. When I log out, the cookie is deleted again. The "Remember me" function doesn't seem to work, because the fields aren't filled out when I try to log in again. And when I do log in, a cookie is not created (unless "Remember me" is ticked). Again : this is the case for Session Authentication Methods 3, 2 and 1.

Ford

PS: I have a mambo 4.5.3h site up and running with CB RC1 login module. Cookies are created just fine here, so it doesn't seem to be a browser issue.
Last edited by ford on Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ford » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:59 pm

Firefox : same result. No cookies generated unless "Remember me" is ticked.

Ford

Beat
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Beat » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:45 pm

ford wrote: PS: I have a mambo 4.5.3h site up and running with CB RC1 login module. Cookies are created just fine here, so it doesn't seem to be a browser issue.
This looks like a 4.5.3h issue. Works fine in Joomla! 1.0.10. Anyway a strongly recommended security upgrade...
Beat 8)
www.joomlapolis.com <= Community Builder + CBSubs Joomla membership payment system - team
hosting.joomlapolis.com <= Joomla! Hosting, by the CB Team

ford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ford » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:40 pm

Sorry, Beat - maybe you misunderstood me.

I have no issues in 4.5.3h. The problems arise in Joomla 1.0.10 and CB 1.0 stable.

Cheers

Ford

adrian83
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by adrian83 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:17 pm

Same problem with Joomla! v1.0.10. New installation on Linux / Apache with default configuration, No SEF, session store path is ok (and writable).

Login without 'remember me' option doesn't work in the frontend, but in the backend you can see a member has logged in.
As soon as i check 'remeber me', no problems at all.

edit: it seems i can't login at the demo.joomla.org site.

I've tried everything, is anyone familiar with this problem.

Thanks!
Last edited by adrian83 on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adrian83
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by adrian83 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:00 pm

I found out that it has to do with my hosting provider (KPN, InternetPlusBellen, Netherlands), the remote port kept changing when I wanted to login. The valid login session was made, but the login form was still visible. It did not recognize me, because I had a different Internet Port. I hope it is possible to correct this. Does anybody know a quickfix for this. And if it is not available, maybe the session validation for REMOTE_PORT can be filtered out (optionally) with the next Joomla release. I hope this answer helps other people out too, i had to search very long to find out. By the way KPN told me there is nothing to do about it.

abskure
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by abskure » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:30 pm

I'm thinking a quickfix is to automatically enable the remember me function or just set it to true in the core mod_login file. I'm going to try it out now. I'll let you know what happens.
anjel lenee
idia Web Design | 404.375.4927 | http://idiaWebDesign.com
joomla changed my life

ford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ford » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:10 pm

I still encounter this problem in Joomla 1.0.11 with FireFox 1.5.0.7.

I can now confirm, that the issues resolves by ticking "Remember me" during the first attempt to login.

Starting FireFox and attempting to login without ticking Remember me will fail. Second login attempt succeeds. 3rd, 4th, 5th ...... etc attempts succeed. If you close the browser and start over again, the same thing will happen (1st attempt fails, subsequent succeed).

I will check adrian83's observation regarding remote ports and service providers.

Ford  :(

internutdpl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by internutdpl » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:39 am

I am experiencing this problem also. I believe this thread is related to the the same problem stated in:

MEDIUM:UNDER REVIEW:1.0.9>] Login form problem

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,67290.0.html

Cheers,
Dave

Robin
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Robin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:28 am

Q&T Note; marking this topic as DUPLICATE and moving to Resolved. Will continue this topic in http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,67290.0.html

Return to “Q&T 1.0.x Resolved - Archived”