How to Remove Meta Generator Tag? Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
equa24
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How to Remove Meta Generator Tag?

Post by equa24 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:15 pm

Hello

Straight to the question, how to remove a meta generator tag on my joomla 3.0 page?

(Image not showing? Here's the link: http://postimg.org/image/z1ski0pkt/ )

I tried ByeByeGenerator but it's not working for Joomla 3.0. I even tried to change the code but I'm not sure which one.

Thank you for your help, guys.
Long live Open Source!

ozneilau
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: How to Remove Meta Generator Tag?

Post by ozneilau » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:21 pm

In Global Configuration, set "Show Joomla! Version" = No.

equa24
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by equa24 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:17 am

No, not the version.
I mean the whole tag META GENERATOR.
I want to remove them completely.

ozneilau
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ozneilau » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:32 am

OK, one way is to edit your template's index.php and add the following line to the beginning:

Code: Select all

<?php $this->setGenerator(null); ?>
Neil.

johnclr
I've been banned!

Post by johnclr » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:41 am

The second way will completely remove the generator meta tag from Joomla
Open /libraries/joomla/document/html/renderer/head.php with your favor editor
search for "generator" (around line 83-84).
add // to the beginning of the line.
Last edited by alikon on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed selfpromotion

equa24
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by equa24 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:24 am

Thanks a lot, they're working...!!!

anilmysa
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by anilmysa » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Its working..Thanks..

roma64
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by roma64 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:48 am

Another way!

If you want to put something else instead of just removing it, which I implemented on my http://simplerwebs.com site to help me with SEO, is adding the below code before the <head>tag of your template index.php file

<?php $this->setGenerator('Anything you want or leave empty'); ?>
Enjoy!
SimplerWebs

tobypsl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tobypsl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:37 am

What is the problem with having the tag?

And from an SEO perspective is there a benefit to removing the tag completely vs putting some keyword heavy description in there?

pozpoz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pozpoz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:13 pm

It is better not show CMS type and version (security reason)

kayeshandra85
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kayeshandra85 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:31 pm

tobypsl wrote:What is the problem with having the tag?

And from an SEO perspective is there a benefit to removing the tag completely vs putting some keyword heavy description in there?
Yeah, I was also wondering if this has something to do with SEO.

roma64
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by roma64 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:46 pm

removing or leaving the tag will have no impact on SEO! You can use it to just display your company name if you so desire!
SimplerWebs

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:20 am

No need to edit source/core code. See these extensions:

ByeByeGenerator:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... -tag/12556

Clean Response:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ards/12736
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.16 and PHP7.4.x

roma64
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by roma64 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:12 am

JAVesey! I do like the ByeByeGenerator but No need to add extension if you don't have/need too! But if someone is not comfortable making the changes, then ByeByeGenerator is a very good extension!

The less you have installed on your Joomla site, the better and faster it will be!

That is just my opinion!
SimplerWebs

Marvin_Martiano
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marvin_Martiano » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:09 pm

My two cents: I think removing the version number and CMS name will not make any actual difference, it's security through obscurity.

On one of the sites I administer (and the only one who'se logs I looked at, as it was down 3+hours -- hardware failure at host it turns out), in the past 24h I've got two 'attacks' from IPs in Turkey that both go exactly the same: The most common locations of the admin login page get requested, /wp-login.php, /administrator, /admin, ... over a few seconds.
log.jpg
( /bitrix/admin puzzled me.)

So even without the generator tag, simply trying the login pages of the three most popular CMSes (WP, Joomla, Drupal) would have already revealed what CMS. What version (Joomla X.Y.Z) is also immediately seen from that login screen (at least the X part, maybe the Y), because it keeps changing (presently dark black since about Joomla 3.4, previously blue, and I think that was only a short while?). So unless you also change those to look unrelated to Joomla, I cannot see the value of changing the generator. It's only the .Z info of the Joomla X.Y.Z that will tell you if it's fully patched, and I don't know if "show Joomla version: YES" displays that number (but anyway, why would a burglar check it from the generator tag, if they can just try the exploit? You're speaking relatively professional intrusion attempts now?)

I don't know what steps "WhatCMS?" (and similar CMS guessers) go through to finding out what is used, but they're confident they can spot the 100 most popular CMSes. I don't know what headaches you'd create by renaming /administrator etc, but that seems to be the minimum for this 'security through obscurity' defence; removing the tag would just be one spike on a hedgehog or porcupine, another 4999 to go...

I was going to install a admin-access-attempt-limiter, like AdminExile, which will prevent a DOS-by-burglary-attempts; but I think my (shared-IP) webhost (on each site I administrate, actually) will take measures before a DOS happens.

That said, I've got a nonsensical generator message... at least entertain the type of people that look at raw HTML instead of a browser.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RedEye
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by RedEye » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:49 pm

Marvin_Martiano wrote:My two cents: I think removing the version number and CMS name will not make any actual difference, it's security through obscurity.

So even without the generator tag, simply trying the login pages of the three most popular CMSes (WP, Joomla, Drupal) would have already revealed what CMS.
It does make a difference! On the admin login screen you only see what version is used 3.4, 2.5 etc but not the exact one like 3.4.4 etc, the generator tag does show the exact one and that is an information you don't want to put on your site, well it's a nice thing to have for the bad guys so they know right away if their hack is working or not... also if you can visit the administrator login just by adding "/administrator" to the url, then the one who puts the site up did a bad job...

roma64
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by roma64 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:54 pm

Joomla! Ace - I agree with you about leaving the generator tag makes a difference, and about a designer that leaves the /administrator open!

Always make sure that when someone just ads '/administrator to the site url, they are actually redirected to the site's landing page, and not the administrator login page.

As far as leaving, or removing the generator tag, I prefer to change it and add some information about the company and without using third party extensions.

Again, ByeByeGenerator or Clean Response recommended by JAVesey, is a good option if you don't want to make manual changes!
SimplerWebs

andypooz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by andypooz » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:04 am

Given the current security climate, it'd be nice to see (the option of) /administrator obfuscation and (the option of) complete removal of the generator tag in the core of the Joomla, don't you think?

The use of Joomla is our greatest strength and our greatest weakness. There are just too many bots searching for known Joomla vulnerabilities (and those of extensions). I'd rather not make it any easier than I have to for them to identify the site as Joomla than absolutely necessary. If someone wants to find out they'll be able to of course, but I suspect the bots search for low-hanging fruit.
Andy Hickey
Bespoke Joomla Extension Developer
http://www.netamity.com

mbabker
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by mbabker » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:22 am

I'll be totally honest, the rendered HTML of any Joomla page gives it away. You can hide the meta tag, obfuscate the administrator directory, and lock down access to files that you could grab interesting data out of all day long, but the dead giveaway that you're running Joomla will always be in your <head> element (namely either the media/jui or templates/<template_name> style paths, made even easier when you have components/com_foobar/assets or plugins/content/something/media paths there too). If I were a script kiddie looking to just blindly attack Joomla sites, I wouldn't be looking for /administrator to give a valid response or looking at the response headers for anything interesting (I think Joomla used to have an X-Joomla style header for something, can't remember anymore); I'd be parsing the homepage HTML looking for paths that match the core filesystem structure and the media and templates stuff is the first place I'd look.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:09 am

Actually if you look at their scripts they dont use anything in the html or the administrator path to identify a site as joomla - they're much cleverer than that
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

ManageContent
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ManageContent » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:26 am

Hi there

The above methods for removing the generator meta tag no longer work in Joomla 3.6.2.

Does anybody know how someone can remove the 'generator' meta tag from the latest Joomla on a core php level ?

Surly the ability to manage even a simple meta tag is a requirement of any heavily developed wcms ?

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:28 am

ManageContent wrote:The above methods for removing the generator meta tag no longer work in Joomla 3.6.2.

Does anybody know how someone can remove the 'generator' meta tag from the latest Joomla on a core php level ?
You don't need to tamper with the "core PHP" to remove the generator META tag. It's dead easy. There are extensions that will do this for you. If you used Google you will find about 10 extensions for Joomla that will remove the generator META tag. That's the smart way to find the answer to this question.

[ redacted ]
Last edited by toivo on Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: comment redacted
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

ManageContent
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ManageContent » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:32 am

Thank you for your reply, it was also another users helpful suggestion in this post above and I'm sure it's very good advice for any scenario but...

FoXer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by FoXer » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:33 am

ManageContent wrote:Hi there

The above methods for removing the generator meta tag no longer work in Joomla 3.6.2.

Go to libraries>joomla>document>renderer>html and open head.php

Go to line 105 and add // in front off it.

Gasoline
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Gasoline » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:22 pm

FoXer wrote:
ManageContent wrote:Hi there

Go to libraries>joomla>document>renderer>html and open head.php

Go to line 105 and add // in front off it.
Until Joomla is updated and it will appear again.

Just put something like this in your templates index.php, before the closing tag ?> of <?php defined( '_JEXEC' ) or die;

// generator tag removed
$this->setGenerator(null);
or

// generator tag own text. !! You can't use spaces and only underscore to seperate words
$this->setGenerator(What_You_Want);
Just try it and you will see it works.

This is the best way for your website. I'm not a fan of using extensions/plugins for this. They slow down your site, add security risks and they do the same thing anyway. And you keep control over your site.
https://websitezeist.nl
Websites - Webshops - SEO
Fast, Safe & Hassle free!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:57 pm

Gasoline wrote:This is the best way for your website.
Yes and no. The problem with editing either the Joomla core or any of the template files installed by the extension manager is that these "edits" will be overridden if the core and/or the template files are updated.
Gasoline wrote:I'm not a fan of using extensions/plugins for this.
I respect your opinion even if I disagree with it.
Gasoline wrote:[Joomla plugins] slow down your site, add security risks and they do the same thing anyway.
Executing plugins does add some processing overhead but, depending on the number of plugins activated, the processing overhead is barely noticed by a visitor to a website most of the time. Certainly, some Joomla extensions can jeopardise site security (and that's why there's a Vulnerable Extensions List [VEL] where people can report suspect extensions or extensions with a proven bad security impact). Extensions listed on the VEL are removed from the Joomla Extensions Directory [JED] until the vulnerability has been removed; in this way, the JED is able to maintain a fairly reliable reputation as a place to obtain safe products that people can use with their Joomla websites.
Gasoline wrote:[Editing the Joomla core and/or template files means] you keep control over your site.
I disagree with that assertion. Editing the Joomla core and/or template files—those files that are created when Joomla or the template is installed and updated lated—can mean that the changes made through this process will be lost unless you keep a record of the changes you're making. A better alternative to directly editing original software is to create overrides for custom changes.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Gasoline
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Gasoline » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:02 pm

sozzled wrote:
Gasoline wrote:[Editing the Joomla core and/or template files means] you keep control over your site.
I disagree with that assertion. Editing the Joomla core and/or template files—those files that are created when Joomla or the template is installed and updated lated—can mean that the changes made through this process will be lost unless you keep a record of the changes you're making. A better alternative to directly editing original software is to create overrides for custom changes.
I get your point Sozzeld, I was assuming they made there own templates, like I do. Than you don't have the problem with updates because you'v full control. When you use third-party solutions for your templates etc, than installing a plugin for this would prpably be a wiser choice ;)
https://websitezeist.nl
Websites - Webshops - SEO
Fast, Safe & Hassle free!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:34 pm

Gasoline wrote:I was assuming [people make their] own templates, like I do[; then] you don't have the problem with updates because [you have] full control.
Thanks for putting your advice into some context. I would say (without any factual evidence to support my conclusion) that 95% of all people who use Joomla do not create their own templates. With literally millions of resources available to people to locate the source of Joomla templates, with literally thousands of templates available—free or at some cost—the template-building business is very strong.

Building any kind of extension for Joomla, whether it's a module, a plugin, a component or a template, is not something that the novice user is able to do easily.

When @equa24 started this topic nearly four years ago and began with the statement that ByeByeGenerator didn't work with J! 3.x—an assertion I'm not going to dispute—I think it's also a reasonable assumption that, not having heard from this person in nearly four years, that person was/is a novice user interested in a quick and easy plugin alternative. In that sense, therefore, while it's certainly doable to edit template files this, also, is not necessarily something that the novice user would want to try. That's why my earlier reply that was "redacted"—and I can't remember the reason why it was redacted—suggested that people could use Google or search the JED for plugins that would disable/remove the meta generator tag. 8)

Biomehaniker
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Biomehaniker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:18 pm

I would also prefer a template overwrite. Via that way the joomla core components aren´t touched and only the template must be adjusted. I found the following URL which explained how to perform that and modifize/customize the header part added by joomla. Via the url above it was quite simple, I copied the file, added that to my template and created my own version inside the template folder. Then I remove the generator section in my header file and voila, the generator is gone without touching the core components.

jeffhoneyager
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

How to change the Meta Generator Tag

Post by jeffhoneyager » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:17 am

Edit:
/public_html/templates/[yourtemplate]/index(dot)php.

// remove the joomla meta generator
$this->setGenerator(null);

// change the joomla meta generator
$this->setGenerator('This is not WordPress, go hack your wp-admin somewhere else.');

About a 45 second job.
Peace & Joy, Jeff Honeyager
http://ExpertWebProfessionals.com
http://Jeff.honeyager.com
"Test Everything, Hold On To The Good."

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”