New goodies in 1.5 SVN ;)

For Joomla! 1.5 Coding related discussions, please use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general
Forum rules
Please use the mailing list here: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general rather than this forum.
idigital
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

New goodies in 1.5 SVN ;)

Post by idigital » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:42 am

Oh boy, there's been a lot going on behind the scenes lately in the development of 1.5 beta :)

Not only has the MVC been cleaned up nicely, there's now a very powerful option for template developers, custom module chrome.

This allows completely custom wrappers to be made within a template, even allowing custom display code for it. The milkyway template now has an example module chrome that creates moofx slider modules!

What's more modules are now a part of the MVC as well, so module and component output can be altered by the template.

This is all pretty powerful and amazing stuff, and from what I've heard some of it has come together in a mad rush since the San Fran expo ;)

I just had to post here and say this is just terrific work guys and puts 1.5 firmly in the race of the next generation of CMS.  8)

Cheers,

Damian
  . _  _ . _ . _
  || || ||| ||| |
. ||-||- ||- || |
|_|| || |||_|||_|
  http://jaribio.com

idigital
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: New goodies in 1.5 SVN ;)

Post by idigital » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:36 am

Ok, a couple of examples of how amazing the new system is.

Say you want to customise the article output of com_content, it's as easy as this:

Take the components/com_content/views/article/tmpl/article.php file, alter it to your whim, and save it in your template folder as html/com_content/article/article.php

The tmpl file only contains html markup and some conditional checks on variables, clearly this structure will allow patTemplate to be substituted at some point.

The same goes for modules, they also have a tmpl folder with a file you can alter and put in your template.

This is amazingly powerful stuff folks ;)

So bye-bye "looks like Mambo", hello 1.5 beta!  8)
  . _  _ . _ . _
  || || ||| ||| |
. ||-||- ||- || |
|_|| || |||_|||_|
  http://jaribio.com

seanxian
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by seanxian » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:35 pm

This is indeed outstanding! It seems to be similar in the way Drupal :o works, in that you have a core framework but you can extend upon that by adding custom template files , negating the need to hack or modify the core files. Truly a tremendous step in the right direction, especially because Joomla! has so many other benefits over the aforementioned system (such as GUI, better documentation, etc). Adding this type of functionality is a serious leap forward - get ready for Joomla's popularity to surge, I imagine.

Question though: Can you give a little more detailed example of how exactly you can customize the article output using this method? In otherwords, what would be a sample html markup or conditional logic that could occur?

Thanks for pointing out this fine feature.

pixelsoul
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by pixelsoul » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:49 pm

yes this looks allot cleaner.. don't really understand the chrome yet though? maybe it's because of the naming  ??? also it don't know if it is because of this build but it does not show anything and i can't find a "chrome" module  ???
Go and visit my site you know you want to ^_^
http://www.mech7.net

CirTap
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by CirTap » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:52 pm

pixelsoul wrote: but it does not show anything and i can't find a "chrome" module  ???
think of "chrome" on the module level of the former numeric attributes of modLoadModule('xx', -2), where each number represented a different "wrapper" to the content. "xhtml" or "table" would be variations of that chrome, but you're no longer limited to them.
The numbers ("legacy" mode) are now mapped to "namend" chrome methods
-3: 'rounded'
-2: 'xhtml'
-1: 'raw'
1: 'horiz'
0: 'table'

as idigital pointed out, the milky_way template adds a "slider" chrome to this core list.
look in
  /libraries/joomla/application/extension/module.php
  /modules/templates/modules.php
  /templates/system/html/modules.php  (standard chrome)
  /templates/rhuk_milkyway/html/modules.php  ("slider" chrome)

Have fun,
CirTap

edit: updated locations as of 1.5.RC+
Last edited by CirTap on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can have programs written fast, well, and cheap, but you only get to pick 2 ...

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Coding”