Deprecated iconv_set_encoding

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
jefit
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Deprecated iconv_set_encoding

Post by jefit » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:03 am

I have an old 2.5 site
I am seeing the following message above my administrator login page. It also flashes briefly when I browse different pages of the 2.5 website:
Deprecated: iconv_set_encoding(): Use of iconv.internal_encoding is deprecated in /home/mysite/public_html/libraries/joomla/string/string.php on line 28

Deprecated: iconv_set_encoding(): Use of iconv.input_encoding is deprecated in /home/mysite/public_html/libraries/joomla/string/string.php on line 29

Deprecated: iconv_set_encoding(): Use of iconv.output_encoding is deprecated in /home/mysite/public_html/libraries/joomla/string/string.php on line 30

It is hard to tell the line numbers but I suspect it is referring to these lines of code in my string.php:
// Same for iconv
if (function_exists('iconv') || ((!strtoupper(substr(PHP_OS, 0, 3)) === 'WIN' && dl('iconv.so'))))
{
// These are settings that can be set inside code
iconv_set_encoding("internal_encoding", "UTF-8");
iconv_set_encoding("input_encoding", "UTF-8");
iconv_set_encoding("output_encoding", "UTF-8");
}
I am in the process of updating it to 3.4
Is there anything I can do to the 2.5 code in the meantime?

harperlala
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Deprecated iconv_set_encoding

Post by harperlala » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:02 am

jefit
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by jefit » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:54 am

Perfect!
Thank you very much!

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:04 am

This exact thing was patched with the 2.5.28 (final 2.5) release. Needing that hack indicates you haven't updated your site to that release.

jefit
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by jefit » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:14 am

Yes. You're right.
My admin says "You already have the latest version 2.5.24" so I wasn't updating any more. I'll be glad when I'm on to 3.4 as everything is more automated.
Thanks.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”