Page meta tags not visible?

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
theo_v
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Page meta tags not visible?

Post by theo_v » Sun May 15, 2016 12:50 pm

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me out on the next question: how do metatags propagate from an article to the outside world?
I've created a website, and assigned each article appropriate tags. The problem: as long as i tell joomla to display the article directly from a menu entry (menu - articles - Single article), i can see all my metatags popping up in a metatags analyser. However, if i ask joomla to display the same article, only now as a blog page (menu - articles - category blog), all my tags are gone! :(
Can anyone tell me which parameter in my menu or article i have to change to get my metatags to the outside world when i use category blogs?

Thank you all!

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Page meta tags not visible?

Post by imanickam » Sun May 15, 2016 4:04 pm

The meta data for the blogs can be entered in the corresponding menu item. If the meta data are not defined in the menu items, if the meta data present in the Global Configuration then that meta data will be used.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Jim Holloman
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Page meta tags not visible?

Post by Jim Holloman » Sun May 15, 2016 4:54 pm

This is one of those confusing areas of Joomla that doesn't seem to be documented.

Since a Blog contains multiple articles, Joomla cannot show the metadata from articles on a category blog. Instead, Joomla shows the metadata from the associated Menu. The page title (<title> tag in the HTML) will be the contents of the Menus --> Page Display --> Browser Page Title field. And, depending upon your Global Settings, the site name may be appended to either the front or the rear creating a composite page <title> of two fields. A blog page does not have a '<meta name=""' entry in the HTML that is generated.

For an article (including a "Read more:" page), the Page Title (<title> tag in the HTML) is obtained from the Article --> Publishing --> Search Engine Title field. And, once again, depending upon your Global Settings, the site name may be appended to either the front or the rear creating a composite page <title> of two fields. An article does generate a '<meta name=""' entry in the HTML. And the name will be the Article --> Publishing --> Search Engine Title field without a sitename being appended. So, if you tell Joomla NOT to append the sitename, then the Page Title and the '"<meta name=""' in the HTML will be the same.

On a side note, the "Title" field in the Editor for Articles ought to be changed to "Joomla Title" because it is too easy to confuse it with Page Title (the <title> tag in the HTML). They are not the same by any means!

Hope this helps.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”