Automated Joomla! / Mambo Component/Modiule Version Checks...

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Wizzie
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Automated Joomla! / Mambo Component/Modiule Version Checks...

Post by Wizzie » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:46 pm

In an attempt to assist in the maintenance of multiple Joomla installations and in some part due to the recent increase in attempted exploit activity and events.

In addition to the previously posted "checkJOSVersions" script (reports installed Joomla Base/Core version information) we are now making available a perl script that searches for and reports installed Joomla Core and Custom installed object (components, modules, mambots, plugins and language) versions.

Potentially, this script might be used to assist in support and troubleshooting of version incompatibilty, current and maintainable release monitoring, standard environment consistancy checking.

Installation:
  1.  Download the script from here
  2.  FTP to your server
      (this is not designed to be run from a web-browser, so  preferably NOT in a web accessible directory)
  3.  Rename  "checkJOSOBJVersionsNew.pl.txt"  to  "checkJOSOBJVersions.pl"  or whatever you want.
  4.  Chmod 755 checkJOSOBJVersions.pl  or your chosen filename.
  5.  Configure input, output , email  and core/custom object reporting settings
      READ THE OPTION COMMENTS, this is pretty well documented internally.
      (The defaults should be ok for most, but you still need to configure the email address at least.)
  6.  Either run in console mode (through SSH) or configure a cron to run automatically

Run this script either manually from a console session (SSH) or daily/weekly/monthly via cron, make sure you have email output turned on.

It is provided to everyone but there are no guarantees, support and you use at your own risk.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Required Perl Modules:
  -  POSIX;
  -  File::Find::Rule;

Script Options:

$outputresults          =      '1';                                    # Do you want to Output Results to STDOUT?  (0 or 1)
    $emailresults            =      '1';                                                      # Do you want to Email the Results? (0 or 1)
    $admin_email            =      'youremail@yourdomain.com.au';              # Enter Your E-Mail Address

$emailsubject            =      'Joomla/Mambo install Objects Audit';        # We will also append hostname and date to the subject
    $show_core              =      '0';                                                      # Display distributed core versions and custom (1) or
                                                                                            # (0) only custom objects

Differences From checkJOSVersions Operation:
Directories for searching are selected from the /etc/passwd file (no need to enter a searchpath in this script) . When run with root/privaledged user rights, all users home directories will be selected  within the range provided, if run under a non-privaledge user (probably shared hosting) only the current user is selected from /etc/passwd , as long as that users UiD is in the range selected. However, configuration is still required to avoid searching unwanted user directories, such as system users. 

(How do I find my UiD? either SSH and "cat /etc/passwd" or check your FTP client settings, display "UiD/Group" or ask your host if you are in shared hosting without shell access, otherwise leave the deafult settings and you should be lucky )

$uid_from = 500        enter the lower UserID required (normally at least above 500 or 32000 to avoid system users)
    $uid_to    = 65001      enter the maximum UserID required (lower than 65000 most likely to avoid system users)

Limitations/Restrictions:
Due to the nature of the metaData we are searching for, this script operates slightly differently than "checkJOSVersions". Most metaData is held in ".xml" files, as do a multitude of other applications. We attempt to filter for Joomla/Mambo files only, a crude filter is implemented to find the " tag, if it exists the file is indexed. This does mean that we may not successfully retrieve all Joomla/Mambo items if they do not contain the filtered tag. However, doing this also means that we hopefully do not index non-Joomla xml files (including the Joomla xml help files ! )

CORE and/or CUSTOM (3rd Party Only):
The choice to index CORE Joomla!/Mambo distribution files is available through the "$show_core" setting, this is a simple filter, by filtering on the and tags in the xml files, if $show_core is "0" (Off) then the filter is implemented and we will Exclude any xml file that reports "Joomla! Project" or "Mambo Project" in its tag and/or "www.joomla.org" or "www.mamboserver.com" in the tag. Again, this means that it is possible to occasionally miss Core files or display Core files incorrectly if these tags are mis-reported in anyway.

On servers with high numbers of Joomla!/Mambo implementatons the script may take sometime to run, also if $show_core is also invoked, the console output (may also exceed your SSH clients' line buffering) or email may also be a fair size.

Example STDOUT/Email Output:

The output is catagorised in the three types of objects:
  -  LEGACY  : Those files that are still listed as being Authored by the Mambo Open Source Project (not necessarily a risk or problem)
  -  CORE      : Those files that are listed as being Authored by the Joomla! Project
  -  CUSTOM  : Those files that are Authored by 3rd Parties

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CORE COMPONENT: Mass Mail  Ver: 4.5.1  Date: February 2005
    Author: Joomla! Project (http://www.joomla.org)
    Description: This component allows you to send a mass email to certain us...
    /home/userone/public_html/administrator/components/com_massmail/massmail
    =================================================
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CUSTOM MODULE: Latest Events  Ver: 1.5  Date: November 2004
    Author: Dave McDonnell (events.mamboforge.net)
    Description: Show latest events for Events component...
    /home/userone/public_html/modules/mod_events_latest
  ==================================================   
    CORE MODULE: Random Image  Ver: 1.0.0  Date: July 2004
    Description: This module display a random image from your chosen director...
    /home/userone/public_html/modules/mod_random_image
    ==================================================   
    CUSTOM TEMPLATE: template2  Ver: 1.0  Date: 4/5/2005
    Author: R2_Dzigns (http://www.author.com.au)
    Description: A fresh clean style, shows spirit of the company....
    /home/userone/public_html/templates/template2/templateDetails
    ===================================================   
    LEGACY MODULE: Group Menu  Ver: 4.5.2  Date: March 2005
    Author: Mambo Project / Gerard Korsten / Rene Kreijveld (http://www.mamboserver.com)
    Description: Displays a menu....
    /home/user2/public_html/modules/mod_groupmenu
    CORE MENU: Link - Url  Ver: 1.0.0  Date: July 2004
    Description: Creates url link...
    /home/user3/public_html/home/administrator/components/com_menus/url/url

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2    of the License, or (at your option) any later version.                                                                                                                                                                                                    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY or support; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR  PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. 

Updated Script: 18.09.2006
Minor alterations to assist a faster search, fix typo's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wizzie on Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

DreNL
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Automated Joomla! / Mambo Component/Modiule Version Checks...

Post by DreNL » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:20 pm

I get below error when I run the script as cron job. The pl file is placed in my bottom ftp path starting with /home/****

I would like to test this script as I probably get a lot of sites to build and maintain in the future.

Thanks in advance,

Andre Klinkhamer.

Code: Select all

Can't locate File/Find/Rule.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/i686-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/i686-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at /home/****/checkJOSOBJVersions.pl line 30.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/kwhd/checkJOSOBJVersions.pl line 30.
Nieuwe site:
Deze is van mijn zoon:
http://maxim.kwhd.net

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by RussW » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:03 pm

You need the Perl    File::Find::Rule  module installed.....
Required Perl Modules:
  -  POSIX;
  -  File::Find::Rule;
Joomla! on the fabulous Sunshine Coast...
hotmango, web & print http://www.hotmango.me/
The Styleguyz https://www.thestyleguyz.com/

topwebs
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by topwebs » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:43 pm

Have you also developed an automated way to update multiple client sites? For example, how did you update multiple client sites from Joomla 1.0.11 to 1.0.12? Did you do it individually or use some type of automated script?
Dan Walker - Web Designer & Developer @ Top Webs Network
Custom Joomla & Wordpress Websites
www.TopBusinessWebsites.com
www.TopChurchWebsites.com

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by RussW » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:31 pm

We have used SVN to maintain a local copy, but we do not automate installations due to the risks involved in automated upgrades and the high number of factors involved in success.

topwebs
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by topwebs » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:00 pm

Could you elaborate on your use of SVN? Although I have not used SVN, I think my reading indicates that in order to update a remote site with SVN, it must be running on both the local and remote sites. Is that the case? Is SVN capable of updating the database or only the code in the files?
Dan Walker - Web Designer & Developer @ Top Webs Network
Custom Joomla & Wordpress Websites
www.TopBusinessWebsites.com
www.TopChurchWebsites.com

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by RussW » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:39 am

I have an SVN server that holds the master copy of files (not database) and use the SVN client to download to the separate hosting servers from the SVN server. I can then use the "export" function to copy the SVN files to any directory of my my choosing, ready to run the Joomla! Web-Installer.

quartex
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Automated Joomla! / Mambo Component/Modiule Version Checks..

Post by quartex » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:23 pm

Hi,
in the first message the link for download the perl script does not work for me (it's not present).
Can you help me please ?
Thanks a lot

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Automated Joomla! / Mambo Component/Modiule Version Checks..

Post by RussW » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:08 am

Both checkJOSVersions and Objects are included in the .zip file.

You might find that the following FAQ's and tools might be of assitance also;

Security & Performance FAQ

Joomla! Administrator's Security Checklist

Vulnerable Extension List

Joomla! Tools Suite
How can I check my Joomla! installation's overall security and health?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Upgrading - 1.0.x”