Protostar responsive menu

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
halumme
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Protostar responsive menu

Post by halumme » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:46 am

The Protostar template has a nearly perfect responsive menu system except for this detail:

On a mobile device (touch screen) the nested sub-menues do not stay open, but collapse to a "black hole" before you can select a sub menu item.

Is there any way of preventing the sub-menu collapse?

Any ideas are welcome!

jguy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Protostar responsive menu

Post by jguy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:17 pm

No, unfortunately I have no answers for that and now I notice that even with a single level drop down in mobile view there are problems with opacity etc. I have tested this on Android mobile, FF and Chrome in test mobile view. If you click/tap once it sometimes doesn't work at all. Other times you get a semi see thru overlay of the menu which is hard to see. If you click/tap a second time then the menu extends downwards properly and remains open enabling further successful taps. As of Joomla 3.7.2 the collapsible mobile menu does not work properly

Does anyone out there in Joomla Land know how to fix this please?

Slackervaara
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Slackervaara » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:27 pm

I use DJ-Menu for Protostar. It is a responsive menu.
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... s/dj-menu/

jguy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jguy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Thanks for that Slackervaara. I haven't used a DJ menu in years. They were certainly good years ago, will have a fresh look now

Slackervaara
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Slackervaara » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:09 pm

I use Protostar as mobile template with the extension Simple Mobile Detection.
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... detection/

jguy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jguy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks for this recommendation Slackervaara. Will check it out after experimenting with DJ

jguy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Protostar responsive menu (Solved I think)

Post by jguy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:22 pm

I may now have found a resolution to this problem that is working for me and may work for others

I copied a fresh Protostar template from an unzipped new Joomla 3.7.2 install package to my old but upgraded site. Got Joomla to discover and list it, duplicated it, then rebuilt this template by adding my user.css (which has evolved over time)

This seemed to solve some things like the intermittent nature the menu being semi invisible in the mobile view. I then decided to go back to basics with regard to the the advanced settings on the menu module and removed "nav-collapse" but left "nav-pills" in place to keep horizontal menu in desktop view. All of a sudden everything is now working well again. It would appear that something has changed in the the recent Protostar release in that one doesn't need "nav-collapse" instruction to place the burger menu icon nor to collapse it

So to conclude remove "nav-collapse" from the module "Menu Class Suffix" to get a normal expanding dropdown menu in mobile view

marion04
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by marion04 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi

I've tested DJ Menu and Simple Responsive Menu.

They both have the same flaw: they're showing all menu entries, also the hidden ones. I'm running a multi-language site, and I need to hide the starting page of the menus in each language.

Slackervaara
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Slackervaara » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:37 pm

I think you can leave out Home in the module settings for the menu module. There are menuitem settings for the module. It is very easy to fix that.

marion04
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by marion04 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:39 am

In the menuitem settings the entry is set to "hidden". This works well for the standard menu module, but not for DJ Menu and Simple Responsive Menu. Is there something else I have overlooked?

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”