I got a error 500 everytime I save an article or category.

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Vulcane
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

I got a error 500 everytime I save an article or category.

Post by Vulcane » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:40 am

I often get an error 500 when I edited or created an article or a category.
This is the error I get:
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
The page does not work on 192.168.192.24

192.168.192.24 can not process this request.
HTTP ERROR 500
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------

Which is not so bad, because I can still access the server after a reload of the page. The only thing is, the category or article is not saved. But I can still save it.
the real problem is, after a few days, right before Im ready to gop online, I cant reload the page anymore, after that error. So, all I can do is delete joomla and dBase and start over again with the website.
I did installed Akeeba and made my daily backups, but because I have to delete Joomla, I cant use the backups anymore.
I hope someone can help me, because I'm getting discouraged.

Regards,

Vulcane

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: I got a error 500 everytime I save an article or category.

Post by itoctopus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:03 am

Most likely this is a ModSecurity rule being triggered. Check the ModSecurity log for any errors, and whitelist the offending rule.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:33 am

Vulcane wrote: I did installed Akeeba and made my daily backups, but because I have to delete Joomla, I cant use the backups anymore.
Yes you can. Just download the backup to your PC and in case you have delete Joomla you just upload the .jpa file to the root of your site and restore it with Kickstart (Akeeba). Though I think itoctopus is right that this will be triggered by mod_security. If you have no mod_security control or no acces to the logs for mod_security you should connect with the host

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

24x7server
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by 24x7server » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:37 am

Hi there,

HTTP error 500 can be resolved using following ways -

1. Increase execution time -
Make sure you've setup the execution time from PHP value to required value to process your request.

2. Enable Debugging -
Set the debug mode in Joomla Administration panel 'ON' so you'll get the exact reason of the error with exact time it is taking to execute your request and exact file path due to which it is causing issue.

3. Resource Usage -
Make sure to keep eye on Resource Usage value while processing the request. If your service will hit the resources then 500 error used to occur. You will need to make sure, you have assigned the required resources to your service.

4. Mod Security -
You will need to make sure that mod security rules are not getting triggered by your service. Because if any of the rules getting being triggered then there are chances of error 500. You can check the live logs for it and will get the list of rules getting triggered by your website.

5. .htaccess file -
Make sure there is no issue with code in your '.htaccess' file due to which you're getting the provided error.

6. PHP compatibility -
Make sure to check the PHP compatibility between your server and Joomla version.

Let me know how it goes! :)

Vulcane
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Vulcane » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks all for your replay and help.
@leolam: man I love you. Thanks. I have it all back. Yeah!!
@24x7server:
1. Increase execution time -
Make sure you've setup the execution time from PHP value to required value to process your request.
Im sorry, I dont know how to do that. My website is running on my NAS-DS215j. I should be able to do that, I think, but dont have that knowledge.

2. Enable Debugging -
Set the debug mode in Joomla Administration panel 'ON' so you'll get the exact reason of the error with exact time it is taking to execute your request and exact file path due to which it is causing issue.
Done and waiting. Hoping I will never see that error again :)

3. Resource Usage -
Make sure to keep eye on Resource Usage value while processing the request. If your service will hit the resources then 500 error used to occur. You will need to make sure, you have assigned the required resources to your service.
Im so sorry. But I have not a clue how to check on that resource.

4. Mod Security -
You will need to make sure that mod security rules are not getting triggered by your service. Because if any of the rules getting being triggered then there are chances of error 500. You can check the live logs for it and will get the list of rules getting triggered by your website.
I try to locate that Mod Security file, looked in joomla/administrators and in modules, but couldn't find it.

5. .htaccess file -
Make sure there is no issue with code in your '.htaccess' file due to which you're getting the provided error.
This is in my .htaccess file in the root:
# Synology PHP
AddHandler default-handler .htm .html .shtml
AddHandler php-fastcgi .php
AddType text/html .php
Action php-fastcgi /php56-fpm-handler.fcgi
# Synology PHP
Don't know if this is ok.

6. PHP compatibility -
Make sure to check the PHP compatibility between your server and Joomla version.
Joomla:
Publisher: Synology.
Installed version: 3.6.5-0154
Php:
Version PHP 5.6

Hope this helps.
I have back my last backup. I do know now how to get it back if this happends again, but I realy can't have this problem.
I like to fix it and I hope you can help me out.
Thanks for all the help and response.

regards,

Vulcane

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Anything mentioned by user @24x7server is assumed you have access to your server's root. You have not so ignore that post.

PLease follow up to http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

24x7server
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by 24x7server » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:46 am

Agree with Leo! You should have server access or at least full access to your account! :)

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”