Will this action affect seo

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Ironside
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Will this action affect seo

Post by Ironside » Thu May 11, 2017 1:28 pm

At the moment I have a menu module on a page on my website. One of the menus points to a specific article. This article renders at #1 on Google for quite a few search terms and I wouldn't want to do anything to affect this. So with this in mind, if I were to take the menu module off the page but still have it active so that when somebody clicks on the URL they still get taken to the page, will this affect the search engine optimisation at all?
Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

http://www.tetraplegicliving.com
http://www.oscarfishlover.com

konst-galleri
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Will this action affect seo

Post by konst-galleri » Thu May 11, 2017 5:37 pm

It could very well have an effect .

You could try to remove it, and if the ranking changes, then add it again.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Sat May 13, 2017 7:13 pm

@Ironside: G'day, mate :)

I'm not an expert but, if you analyse the way that SERPs are compiled by the search engines, removing a specific [top-ranking] article's URL from a menu module probably won't make an ounce of difference to the existing SERP "ranking".

Consider for a moment that Joomla occupies about 9% of the CMS market. There are so many other ways that people use to get their web content listed on places like Google, the fact that you're using Joomla really makes no difference. Ask yourself how other people obtain good "scores" with Google when they don't use Joomla (and therefore don't use Joomla's menuing system).

As we all know, getting a URL listed in Google is really about how Google "finds" these URLs in the pages that are submitted for analysis. Here's a brief (non-exhaustive and in no particular order) list of how Google finds these things:

a) From single URLs that are submitted via Google's Webmaster Tools. In other words, the site owner submits a URL to GWT and, in the fullness of time, the URL appears in the search index.

b) From the URLs that are "discovered"/embedded within another URL, submitted via GWT using the "crawl this URL" option. In other words, the site owner submits one URL to GWT, the URL contains other links (which may or may not be links on that same website) and Google crawls those URLs; this may result in several URLs being added to the search index.

c) Via "backlinks": i.e. URLs contained in various places around your site or on other sites that refer back to URLs to content contained on your website. This can even include URLs inserted into Twitter, Facebook, this forum (for example).

d) Via methods that are unknown to us including, among other things, information extracted/scraped from other search engines.

e) Via "referrals": i.e. other people recommending URLs that refer to your website. The "problem" with referrals, however, is that these may ultimately result in "dead links" if the URLs on your website change.

f) By submitting a sitemap to GWT. Sitemaps may also contain URLs within "hidden" menus (e.g. menus or menu items that may not necessarily appear on your website's home page, for example).

Putting all of this together, as long as there is a way for Google to locate the URL that corresponds to the "#1-ranked article", then the "ranking" shouldn't change. A Joomla menu is basically a "list" of URLs on your website. Whether the article that you're concerned about is contained within this menu or whether the article's URL is identified elsewhere on your website, as long as the URL has been indexed within Google it shouldn't matter. As far as I know (and I don't think anyone can dispute this) a Joomla menu doesn't improve the "ranking" in Google.

I mean, ask yourself: why would Joomla's features per se improve how Google indexes websites when Joomla accounts for 9% of all CMS usage today? The fact that your specific article ranks #1 attests to the judicious use of meta information, content, frequency of access, the number of times those keywords are used when people are searching for information, the niche market that you operate in ... and so on and so forth.

The one guarantee that I think I can make is this: asking your question on this forum will generate a few "armchair expert" responses (you may even include mine in that :laugh: ) with people having their own one-sentence agreement/disagreement and none of this may make you any more the wiser. By all means, the "Little Bo-Peep" principle—leave them alone and ... etc.—may be a reasonable path to follow but, in all sincerity, I don't think there's any guarantee one way or the other.

The basis for my analysis and reply is educated guesswork.

Lastly, congratulations on your achievements over the years. Keep up the good work and the best of luck. Cheers. 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Tabassumm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Tabassumm » Sun May 14, 2017 6:22 am

Ironside wrote:At the moment I have a menu module on a page on my website. One of the menus points to a specific article. This article renders at #1 on Google for quite a few search terms and I wouldn't want to do anything to affect this. So with this in mind, if I were to take the menu module off the page but still have it active so that when somebody clicks on the URL they still get taken to the page, will this affect the search engine optimisation at all?
Risk taking is always a good thing to get some new challenge and win but I would recommend not to change the menu when you already rank for some keywords!
Google is rapidly changing its updates and in this scenario, let your website rank for specified keywords for some more days

ChristRodriguez
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ChristRodriguez » Wed May 17, 2017 9:00 am

well honestly i think it would change the ranking just keep it on the TOP some more days then try changing it later if you want

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”