How to display custom fields from an Article in a module?

For Joomla! 3.x Coding related discussions, please use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the mailing list here: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general rather than this forum.
nzrunner
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How to display custom fields from an Article in a module?

Post by nzrunner » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:50 pm

I am using custom fields on Users and Articles. I am enjoying the new found flexibility!

As part of the process, I am developing a module for a client that will display some custom fields.

I have used the following code in my module file to grab the value of a custom field from a user record: -

Code: Select all

JLoader::register(
    'FieldsHelper', JPATH_ADMINISTRATOR . '/components/com_fields/helpers/fields.php'
);
$fields = FieldsHelper::getFields('com_users.user',  JFactory::getUser());

foreach ($fields as $f) {
    if ($f->name == "profile-image") {
        $image = $f->value;
    }
}
However, that doesn't work for an article. When I debug the fields array, everything is there except the value property.

I have had a read of the articles contained here https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Adding_cus ... /Overrides and it seems to suggest that the reason is because I have not called the onContentPrepare event.

My question is, how to I call, from within my module, the onContentPrepare event so that my custom fields array is populated with the value stored within the article?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: How to display custom fields from an Article in a module?

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:18 pm

nzrunner
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nzrunner » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:40 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I am hoping someone has a real world code example of how I can apply that in my situation.

nzrunner
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nzrunner » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:12 am

I figured it out. I need to pass the item object whereas I was initially only passing the item id.

The code now looks like this: -

Code: Select all

JLoader::register('FieldsHelper', JPATH_ADMINISTRATOR . '/components/com_fields/helpers/fields.php');
JModelLegacy::addIncludePath(JPATH_SITE.'/components/com_content/models', 'ContentModel');

$id = JFactory::getApplication()->input->get('id');

$model =& JModelLegacy::getInstance('Article', 'ContentModel', array('ignore_request'=>true));
$appParams = JFactory::getApplication()->getParams();
$model->setState('params', $appParams);
$item =& $model->getItem($id);
$jcFields = FieldsHelper::getFields('com_content.article',  $item, True);

foreach($jcFields as $jcField)
{
	$jcFields[$jcField->name] = $jcField;
}
Then, following the section here titled "Loading individual fields", I can call each individual field and key and the module is working beautifully :-)

eestepan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by eestepan » Fri May 10, 2019 10:39 am

Hi, I'm happy to see you figured out how to do this I'm still struggling and will appreciate some help.

I have some custom fields values and even labels I'll like to render in a part of module, for every corresponding article. I know that maybe with your code is sufficient enough but I'm not a programmer.

<?php if( $show_intro ): ?>

<div class="bt-introtext">

<?php echo $row->description; ?>. <--- want to replace this with custom fields

</div>

<?php endif; ?>

Return to “Joomla! 3.x Coding”