Frontend login: username or password do not match or not have an account yet

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
embeathome1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Frontend login: username or password do not match or not have an account yet

Post by embeathome1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:32 pm

Hi,

I am very new to Joomla, worked with 1.x many many years ago, so have some experience but very limited.

I have been searching whle day today here, everywhere, but found only posts, which are either very old or are related to backend/admin.

(I have no experience with coding, php, myphp etc. My site is online so files are already at webhosting company. Don't know if this is important, but would like to highlight that I don't have Joomla installation on local PC.

I have fresh install Joomla 3.8.5 installed week or so ago. I have created some simple pages. For me most important is to have login for customers working. So I created test user with "Registered" privileges. I think all permissions set OK in admin part.

When I tried to login as this "test customer"user, I got error "Username or password do not match or not have an account yet"

I have been searching whole day for solution and the only thing I found is that easy passwords works. So I changed passoword to only 4 characters and it really worked OK. But befre I had to change settings in Global configuration/ User Password Options from I think 8 charters to 4 and Minimum symbols from 1 to 0.

So these easy passowrds works but I would need minimum lenght set to 8 and at least 1 character.

In one very old post I found that in Libraries/Users in helper.php i should change something linked to MD5, but the post was most probably related to Joomla 1.x. I simply cannot find that helper.php. There are many others but no User folder at all.

Any idea what should I change, what I am doing wrong? It is quite urgent because I cannot move forward with the page.

Thanks

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Frontend login: username or password do not match or not have an account yet

Post by sozzled » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:54 pm

Did you go to the User Manager in the backend and check if the account—the one you created for the test user—is enabled and activated?
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”
Walking the talk: https://j4xdemo.enduring.com.au
:)

embeathome1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Frontend login: username or password do not match or not have an account yet

Post by embeathome1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:35 pm

Hello, yes, i did, it is activated. When I change password to minimum lenght 4 and change password to lets say 1234, it works.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:38 pm

I think I may have misunderstood your original question. Are you asking, "How do I set the password length to a minimum of 8 characters?" Is that really all that you're askiing?
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”

embeathome1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by embeathome1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:59 pm

Here is an article which describes my problem. I have set rule that password must be long at least 8 and must have at least 1 character. Created a test user (Registered). Not possible to login in the frontend. So based on below article I have changed the rule so it is enough to have password lenght 4 and no characters. And this works, I can login as the test user. What I need is to be able to login also with length 8 and 1 character - so more complex password than only lenght 4.

But I cannot find libraries/joomla/user folder - it simply doesn't exists. The reason could be that below article is very old, from Joomla 1.x

https://www.itoctopus.com/username-and- ... se-and-fix

Quote:

...So, we tested the website and indeed, were were not able to login to the frontend even after resetting the password from the backend. We disabled SEF, we disabled caching, we disabled all 3rd party plugins, yet we still had the same problem.

We then thought, what if we reset the password from phpMyAdmin? So, we logged in to to phpMyAdmin and set the password of a random user in the #__users table to the MD5 equivalent of “password”. We then tried to login, and, to our surprise, the login worked!

So we compared that user’s password to another password, and we noticed that all the other users (that were not able to login), had a strong password. A strong password is a password that starts with $P$. For some reason, strong passwords were not working, and the reset functionality, as well as the user creation functionality, were generating strong passwords.

So, what did we do to fix the problem?

The fix was extremely easy, all we needed to do was to ensure that any password generation/reset uses the MD5 encryption. Here’s what we did in order for that to happen:

We opened the file helper.php located under the libraries/joomla/user folder.
We added the following line to the beginning of the hashPassword function in the aforementioned file:

return md5($password);

We re-uploaded the file to its corresponding place.

The problem was solved.

We didn’t have enough time to investigate why strong passwords were not working (and why only MD5 encrypted passwords were working), but we suspect this has something to do with a wrong migration of the users’ data, as well as the presence of some legacy files from the old Joomla website. We’re really not sure on this one.

What we know, however, is that our fix worked! In case you have the same problem, then try the above quick fix and see if it works for you. If it doesn’t, well, all you need to do is to contact us. We’ll fix it for you in as little time as possible and for a very affordable fee.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Hmmm ... I am unclear what you mean. MD5 password encryption is a standard feature of Joomla; it's been a feature of Joomla since J! 1.6/1.7/2.5 (possibly earlier but I can't be sure).

Do you have a question? If you have a question, what is your question, please.

embeathome1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by embeathome1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:53 pm

Okay. So once again, simplified.

When I tried to login as "test customer"user, I got error "Username or password do not match or not have an account yet"

Password parameter for user is set so the password lenght is 8 and at least 1 character. Also, registration is required to be approved by admin. This test user is Acivated. But not possible to login to the front end.

So based on that link/article I adjusted parametres for password strength to minimum lenght only 4 and no characters. Then I changed the password of test user to 1234 and I can login to the website.

So my question is, what needs to be changed, so I can login with passord for exmaple abcdefgh1 successfuly and not get the error above described?

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 pm

embeathome1 wrote:... What needs to be changed, so I can login with passord for exmaple abcdefgh1 successfully and not get the error above described?
OK. I asked you before,
sozzled wrote:Are you asking, "How do I set the password length to a minimum of 8 characters?"
You didn't answer my question.

Is this the question you want answered?

embeathome1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by embeathome1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:23 am

Only this is a question:

... What needs to be changed, so I can login with passord for exmaple abcdefgh1 successfully and not get the error above described?

I know how to change length of the password. Once I set long and complex password, I got thar error when logging in frontend.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:16 am

I don't know why you are getting the error message "Username or password do not match or not have an account yet"

If it helps, look at the following screenshot:
35x_usersPasswordOptions.jpg
Is this what you are trying to do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

embeathome1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by embeathome1 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:26 pm

Yes, I got the error. The setting is exactly as in the screenshot. If I change Minimum length to "4" and Minimum symbols to zero, login works just fine. I have been playing with the settings and found that if I set " New user Activation" to None and at the same time "Allow user registration" to NO, then it works also with 8 charcters and 1 symbol. But once Activation is enabled, I got that error :(

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:19 pm

Sounds to me that your Joomla installation is missing something or it has some corruption in the files and/or database. It's possible that a third-party extension (a plugin, component, etc.) may be interfering in the process. I can't think of any other suggestions at this time.

I would recommend that you use the Forum Post Assistant tool and, possibly, that may indicate what is happening in your case.

Unusual. I cannot reproduce this problem on any of my test sites.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”