Advertisement

Migrating From Wordpress to Joomla

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
gabriellereid
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Migrating From Wordpress to Joomla

Post by gabriellereid » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:41 am

Hello!

I have a website running on WordPress CMS but in past few weeks I have heard a lot about WordPress sites getting hacked. I did some research and found that Joomla offers far more security than WordPress and is highly secured, so I decided to migrate from WordPress to Joomla.

I did a lot of digging on google but was still unable to find a proper solution to migrate my site completely. My site is quite big with like 1400+ articles and I use a lot of WordPress Plugins as well. Like see Interactive Anatomical Interface on [ redacted ], I have made it using just a single WordPress Plugin and have zero idea whatsoever about the coding that the plugin uses. I just use shortcode which is provided by the plugin in my articles and my task gets over.

Can anyone please provide a good guide so that I can completely migrate my site on Joomla with the same features as they are right now?
Last edited by toivo on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: removed the URL

Advertisement
AMurray
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Migrating From Wordpress to Joomla

Post by AMurray » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:13 am

gabriellereid wrote:I have a website running on WordPress CMS but in past few weeks I have heard a lot about WordPress sites getting hacked. I did some research and found that Joomla offers far more security than WordPress and is highly secured, so I decided to migrate from WordPress to Joomla.
Your site - whether Wordpress or Joomla or any CMS is only as secure as you're prepared to make it through regular maintenance, backups, updates to core system and extensions etc. You will see Joomla is also vulnerable to hacking if not maintained .....just visit the Security forum and see why :eek:

That said, there are ways to migrate WP to Joomla, but you won't have the "same site" as you have now in Wordpress. The migration can only carry-over certain things e.g. blog posts, pages and images at minimum (and perhaps your user list) but it won't be able to convert templates, and plugins.
gabriellereid wrote:I did a lot of digging on google but was still unable to find a proper solution to migrate my site completely. My site is quite big with like 1400+ articles and I use a lot of WordPress Plugins as well. Like see Interactive Anatomical Interface on [ redacted ], I have made it using just a single WordPress Plugin and have zero idea whatsoever about the coding that the plugin uses. I just use shortcode which is provided by the plugin in my articles and my task gets over.
I don't know what "Anatomical Interface is" and the forum redacted your website link.

There is a way to migrate but it's not necessarily a straight-forward process. There are many tools available such as https://cms 2 cms.com/ which is a pay-for service (remove the spaces in the URL to get it to load correctly). This service is a paid service, but will only bring in a limited amount of the "stuff" from Wordpress -
see this: https://cms 2 cms.com/cms/supported-cms/w ... migration/ (remove the spaces in the URL to get it to load correctly) which tells you what this method will transfer for you.

It will not convert plugins or templates so you will have to find the Joomla equivalent. Whatever template you use for example, may well have a Joomla version of it, or you can ask the template developer of the one you use to do a conversion, or find a freelancer that could do that work.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Advertisement

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”