Invite a Friend - dont know what address to link to

Discuss the development and implementation of Joomla! components here.
scrappy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Invite a Friend - dont know what address to link to

Post by scrappy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:30 pm

Have installed the component Invite a Friend but there was no README with it and no support forum as such.

It has installed fine, and Ive guess that I have to link to the component myself.

That is if i use the link http://www.scrapyourselfsilly.com.au/cm ... com_invite I'm guessing there should be something on the end as well like itemid for starters.

I'm not sure and I dont know how to find this.  :'(

Can someone help?

Many thanks,

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Invite a Friend - dont know what address to link to

Post by jlleblanc » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:10 pm

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but after I load the link you sent and add an Itemid, every page gives me this error:

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/scrapyou/public_html/cms/components/com_joomlastats/joomlastats.inc.php on line 250
Temporarily disable the joomlastats component (if possible) and see if that helps.
Joseph L. LeBlanc: http://www.jlleblanc.com
Frontend components start here: /components/com_[name]/[name].php
Backend components start here: /administrator/components/com_[name]/admin.[name].php

scrappy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by scrappy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:27 pm

Thanks for that.

While I have never had that problem myself, I have others tell me they get that error sometimes...

Do you still see the contents of my pages though?
Last edited by scrappy on Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmaduk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmaduk » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:16 pm

does anyone have any idea how to set up/change the registration link that gets sent to the invitee?  I need it to be something other than the default joomla registration?

I actually like to send it to the users affilaite link - which can be pulled from the community builder profile db.

Any suggestions
MySmallBiz University
http://www.MySmallBizUniversity.com
Everything You Need To Start - Build And Grow Your Online Business: Videos, Hosting, Software, Support, Coaching and Community!

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jlleblanc » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:29 pm

If you're using the CB registration module, you should be able to customize the registration email through the CB backend. Go to Components > Community Builder > Configuration, then click on the "Registration" tab. There are both confirmation and welcome emails; you only have to add the link where you want it.
Backend components start here: /administrator/components/com_[name]/admin.[name].php

jmaduk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmaduk » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:59 pm

there is a mod_invitie.zip that I found from earlier in the year 2006 that worked witht the invite component...

As far as registration is concerned the com_invite component has the registration link hard coded into the component (invite.php) so it doesn't matter what is setup else where in Joomla or cb.

It even has its own /include folder with the registration form in it and I'm guessing that it needs to use this registration to track how successfull the invites are in the backend

I don't code so I don't want to muck around with it...
MySmallBiz University
Everything You Need To Start - Build And Grow Your Online Business: Videos, Hosting, Software, Support, Coaching and Community!

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jlleblanc » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:35 pm

I don't know of anything out of the box that does affiliate links, but you may be able to find something in the extensions database: http://extensions.joomla.org . Otherwise, you're looking into hacking CB. If you're using CB, you have to use their registration process. Otherwise, things can go amiss.

jmaduk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmaduk » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:20 pm

The affiliate links are fine :-) they're working correctly and referrals are being sent to the cb registration form and tracked correctly... What I'm trying to do is get an invite component that has the ability to customize the link that it sends out to the referee!

That's all!  Not really a hack!  All the data is already in joomla and the cb user profile
MySmallBiz University

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jlleblanc » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:35 pm

Ok, it wasn't clear to me before that you already had a CB affiliate link system working. Gotcha now.

However, I am unsure of whether or not this invite component would work with CB without modifications. Can you point me to where this component can be found?

jmaduk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmaduk » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:55 pm

http://www.wmfsb.com/order/go.php?r=1&i=l0 (this is a working affiliate link) is an example of the link...

The invite link being sent should be the link above where the r="cb profile id " from the cb user table .

An example of the current invite is:
http://www.wmfsb.com/component/option,com_invite/  and this invite component send the invitee to a copy of the default joomla reg
MySmallBiz University

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jlleblanc » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:11 pm

Sorry... I meant a link to the module so I can download it and look at the code.

jmaduk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmaduk » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:22 pm

MySmallBiz University

p9939068
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by p9939068 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:29 pm

I was looking through the forum and i saw this thread. I've actually fixed Invite A Friend so that it'll work together with CB. It requires extensive hacking of CB, and because of how Invite A Friend works itself, register globals must be set to ON.

First, we need to edit components/com_invite/includes/registration.php. Delete everything inside and replace with

<?php
// no direct access
defined( '_VALID_MOS' ) or die( 'Restricted access' );

require_once( $mosConfig_absolute_path . "/components/com_comprofiler/comprofiler.html.php"  );
include_once( $mosConfig_absolute_path . "/components/com_comprofiler/comprofiler.php" );
switch( $task ) {
	case 'lostPassword':
		lostPassForm( $option );
		break;

case 'sendNewPass':
		sendNewPass( $option );
		break;

case 'register':
		registerForm( $option, $mosConfig_emailpass );
		break;

case 'activate':
		activate( $option );
		break;
}
?>
This will call CB's registration form everytime a registration request is called from com_invite.

Next comes the complicated parts. First go to components/com_comprofiler/comprofiler.html.php and search for the function registerForm(). Go to around line 1126 and you'll see the textbox for email is (i'm using CB 1.0 so line # may be off). Add the following codes there:

<?php
	$showemail = "";
	if ($option == "com_invite") $showemail = $_GET['email'];
	elseif ($option == "com_comprofiler") {
		if (isset($row->email)) $showemail = $row->email;
	}
?>
These codes are inside a php tag so you can add it anywhere as long as they're ABOVE the actual textbox where users enter their email. Next go to the "value" tag of the textbox and change

<?php if (isset($row->email)) echo $row->email; ?>
to

<?php echo $showemail;?>
The purpose of this is to automatically set the email field to the referred email in the address line.

Scroll down further (around line 1180) until you come to a list of hidden fields used by CB. Add the following codes

<?php
  if ($option == "com_invite") {?>
  <input type="hidden" name="ref_str" value="<?php echo $_GET['ref_str']; ?>" />
  <input type="hidden" name="ref_email" value="<?php echo $_GET['email']; ?>" />
  <?php
  }
  ?>
As you can see, this is where Register Globals is required to be set to ON. The extra 2 hidden fields are required to store the referred address and referer string needed to update Invite A Friend's tables.

Got it so far? Great! Now let's go to components/com_comprofiler/comprofiler.php and search for the function userProfile(). Add the following line just below the global declarations, on the second line of the function:

if ($option != "com_comprofiler") return false;
This is to escape from function userProfile()! The default case statement for CB's $task is function userProfile(), so we'll need to exit this function first, or it'll give you some irrelevant message.

Simple enough? Here comes the last step! Also in comprofiler.php, search for the function saveRegistration(). Scroll alllllllll the way down until you're at the last line (which is "echo $messagesToUser;") and add the following codes just above the last line so it looks like this:

if ($option == "com_invite") {
		//confirm invite
		$ref_str = $_POST['ref_str'];
		$ref_email = $_POST['ref_email'];

$sql = "update `#__invite_sent` set `joined` = '1' where `email` = '$ref_email' and `ref_str` = '$ref_str'";
		$database->setQuery($sql);
		$database->query();

$sql = "insert into `#__invite_joined` values ('', '$row->id', '$ref_email', '$ref_str')";
		$database->query();
	}
	echo $messagesToUser;
This will update the Invite A Friend tables accordingly. Of course, since it's a rudimentary hack using address line variables, mischevious users can still bypass it by changing the referer string or email in the address line, but it'll work well otherwise ;) Hope this helps!

Regards, Mike
Last edited by p9939068 on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Making social sites functional: http://www.simbunch.com/
http://twitter.com/simbunch

danhazard
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by danhazard » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:36 pm

works perfect, thanks so much! u should forward that on to both the compoinent guy and the CB guys (and girls)

p9939068
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by p9939068 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:03 pm

i doubt they'll incorp this into their own codes (esp CB) since it's not 1.5 compliant :P
-----

marcgalang
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by marcgalang » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:09 am

Hi guys,

First I want to thank you all for using/downloading my invite component. Thanks for the inputs and suggestions on how to improve the component.

However im very sorry that the development on this project is painstakingly slow. I've been very busy with my work these days doing custom components and modules so I hope you'll understand why the component is still beta and some of it's features are not working yet.

As soon as I find time, I'll fix everything up and release a full version with the module.

Roadmap:
1. Module
2. CB registration
3. 1.5 compatibility

Thanks again!

Marc

marcgalang
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by marcgalang » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:11 am

What if we copy the require com_comprofiler files, place them on the include folder of the component, modify files, then create a backend option to use Joomla or CB Registration?
p9939068 wrote: I was looking through the forum and i saw this thread. I've actually fixed Invite A Friend so that it'll work together with CB. It requires extensive hacking of CB, and because of how Invite A Friend works itself, register globals must be set to ON.

First, we need to edit components/com_invite/includes/registration.php. Delete everything inside and replace with

<?php
// no direct access
defined( '_VALID_MOS' ) or die( 'Restricted access' );

require_once( $mosConfig_absolute_path . "/components/com_comprofiler/comprofiler.html.php"  );
include_once( $mosConfig_absolute_path . "/components/com_comprofiler/comprofiler.php" );
switch( $task ) {
	case 'lostPassword':
		lostPassForm( $option );
		break;

case 'sendNewPass':
		sendNewPass( $option );
		break;

case 'register':
		registerForm( $option, $mosConfig_emailpass );
		break;

case 'activate':
		activate( $option );
		break;
}
?>
This will call CB's registration form everytime a registration request is called from com_invite.

Next comes the complicated parts. First go to components/com_comprofiler/comprofiler.html.php and search for the function registerForm(). Go to around line 1126 and you'll see the textbox for email is (i'm using CB 1.0 so line # may be off). Add the following codes there:

<?php
	$showemail = "";
	}
?>
These codes are inside a php tag so you can add it anywhere as long as they're ABOVE the actual textbox where users enter their email. Next go to the "value" tag of the textbox and change

<?php if (isset($row->email)) echo $row->email; ?>
to

<?php echo $showemail;?>
The purpose of this is to automatically set the email field to the referred email in the address line.

Scroll down further (around line 1180) until you come to a list of hidden fields used by CB. Add the following codes

<?php
  if ($option == "com_invite") {?>
  <input type="hidden" name="ref_str" value="<?php echo $_GET['ref_str']; ?>" />
  <input type="hidden" name="ref_email" value="<?php echo $_GET['email']; ?>" />
  <?php
  }
  ?>
As you can see, this is where Register Globals is required to be set to ON. The extra 2 hidden fields are required to store the referred address and referer string needed to update Invite A Friend's tables.

Got it so far? Great! Now let's go to components/com_comprofiler/comprofiler.php and search for the function userProfile(). Add the following line just below the global declarations, on the second line of the function:

if ($option != "com_comprofiler") return false;
This is to escape from function userProfile()! The default case statement for CB's $task is function userProfile(), so we'll need to exit this function first, or it'll give you some irrelevant message.

Simple enough? Here comes the last step! Also in comprofiler.php, search for the function saveRegistration(). Scroll alllllllll the way down until you're at the last line (which is "echo $messagesToUser;") and add the following codes just above the last line so it looks like this:

if ($option == "com_invite") {
		//confirm invite
		$ref_str = $_POST['ref_str'];
		$ref_email = $_POST['ref_email'];

$sql = "update `#__invite_sent` set `joined` = '1' where `email` = '$ref_email' and `ref_str` = '$ref_str'";
		$database->query();

$sql = "insert into `#__invite_joined` values ('', '$row->id', '$ref_email', '$ref_str')";
		$database->query();
	}
	echo $messagesToUser;
This will update the Invite A Friend tables accordingly. Of course, since it's a rudimentary hack using address line variables, mischevious users can still bypass it by changing the referer string or email in the address line, but it'll work well otherwise ;) Hope this helps!

Regards, Mike

p9939068
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by p9939068 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:01 am

marcgalang wrote: What if we copy the require com_comprofiler files, place them on the include folder of the component, modify files, then create a backend option to use Joomla or CB Registration?
I presume what you mean is to have another copy of the required files of com_comprofiler like comprofiler.html.php and comprofiler.php? I think that's not a good idea as many people have heavily edited/hacked comprofiler.php. Having another copy of them, especially .html.php, will mess up some users' sites.

I think i understand where you're coming from. It's difficult to integrate with CB without hacking core CB files, so it seems a good way is to make a copy of CB files. However is there a possibility to release com_invite together with an optional CB plugin? I'm not an expert in coding CB plugins, but looking through the plugin API, i am certain that this is a much better solution.

ps. there is already a Invite a Friend CB plugin, but all that does is a simple sql select and display plugin.
Last edited by p9939068 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----

Blazer007
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Blazer007 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:50 am

Can p9939068 and marcgalang get together and whip this component(Invite a friend) into shape:?

Very interested in the component being able to have the ability to work with CB registration.
Really interested in the ability of the friends being linked(connections) to the sign ups he/she can get by using
this process.

I am not rich by any means, but how much $$$ would it take to borrow some time from other projects to grease the skids
on this need?  I do not mean for you to both butt heads working on this - but think you both have talent that will assist
the entire CB effort.

Thanks for any reply.

Wes

mstrsys
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mstrsys » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:40 pm

I tried this hack but after the user enter his/her info and clicks send registration they get this error

You are not authorized to view this resource. You need to login.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

sorema
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sorema » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:36 am

maybe it sounds stupid..but I simply made it work modifying the mail send to the invited... deleting the  {link} ad adding manually a link...
easy, clever and works... ;)
think..while we are waiting for a most featured release..why not? 8)

p9939068
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by p9939068 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:00 am

Hi folks
I'm excited to announce the completion of a full featured (and i mean full featured :P) CB invite plugin: AJAX PlaxoInvite plugin.

It is almost impossible to list all of its functions, believe me i've tried ;) so please click the following link for a very detailed description :)
http://mike.simbunch.com/index.php?opti ... view&id=14
Last edited by p9939068 on Tue May 01, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----

sorema
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sorema » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:47 am

i've registered on the site and yes i can see it must be fantastic

... but my "changing email" is for free... i guess i'll be waiting for a freeware-more-featured version...

;)
thank you anyway

p9939068
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by p9939068 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:12 am

If you only changed the link, Invite a Friend component will not be able to track the invites because it doesnt go to the component itself at all. It's not possible to track invites this way.

Also, if users surf to somewhere else on the site for a look-see before registering, the invite will not count as well :)

Rgds, Mike
-----

joseph21
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joseph21 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:54 pm

This little hack doesn't work with CB 1.0.2 ?  ??? I can't find this line in comprofiler.html.php:

<?php
	$showemail = "";
	}
?>

p9939068
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by p9939068 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:18 pm

I dont support this hack anymore, sorry :-[
-----

joseph21
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joseph21 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:48 pm

Plaxo Invite is way too expensive for me, sorry..  :(

sorema
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sorema » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:50 pm

for me too..i must wait for a new most featured versione by marcgalang ... hope it would be released soon...

p9939068
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by p9939068 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:00 pm

Well you can take it as a one-time investment. A single purchase includes free updates in the future :)
I believe an invite component that fully integrates with and supports CB is paramount to all community sites. The pros and cons is up to you to decide.

Regards, Mike
-----

joseph21
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joseph21 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:40 am

Thanks Plaxo Invite is really a great plugin.  I hope to purchase it in the near future.  :)

Return to “Components”