Notice SMTP connect() failed

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
nikiobicata
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Notice SMTP connect() failed

Post by nikiobicata » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:25 pm

Joomla! 3.8.2

I'm trying this setting: viewtopic.php?f=707&t=870276
php_sockets is enabled
OpenSSL is enabled

I can send email directly to my office 360 email so this is working.. But our Joomla website is not sending emails... The error is:

Notice
SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/ ... leshooting
Error
Test mail could not be sent.

Did anyone have a solution?

Thanks

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Notice SMTP connect() failed

Post by AMurray » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:18 am

Check the details (credentials) again and ensure all the details are correct. Can you try the PHP Mail or Sendmail alternatives? However I would first update Joomla to 3.8.6 before you worry about whether it sends email or not.
Regards - A Murray

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Notice SMTP connect() failed

Post by toivo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:23 am

You can troubleshoot SMTP connections to find out more about the issue. For example, the connection can fail if one of the SSL certificates was not issued by a trusted Certificate Authority.

Go to Extensions - Plugins and configure the plugin 'System - Debug' with the following settings:
  • Allowed Groups: Super Users
    Log Priorities: All
    Log Categories: mail
    Log Almost Everything
Go to Global Configuration - System and turn on the option 'Debug System'. Then go to the Server tab and Mail Settings. Click the button 'Send Test Mail'. If the send function reports an error, you will find the details of the SMTP connection requests and responses from the mail server, including the error codes, from the log file, usually administrator/logs/everything.php.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”