Need a Google Analytics extension...

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
DavetheCat
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Need a Google Analytics extension...

Postby DavetheCat » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Hello,

Would anyone be able to recommend a good Google Analytics plugin/extension for Joomla please?

We have been using a plugin called 'System - Google Analytics' (Niche Extensions) for ages, but that seems to be outdated / unsupported now. A notice in our Google Analytics account said our pages are 'not tagged with a supported version of the Google Analytics tracking code", so our pages haven't been logging all our page views due to this plugin being out of date.

So... I need to find an extension/plugin that accepts the current Google Analytics Global Site Tag (gtag.js) tracking code. Or... would potentially be open to the idea of a different analytics extension other than using GA.

Any recommendations - GA or otherwise - appreciated!
Last edited by toivo on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: marked as solved on request

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Need a Google Analytics extension...

Postby sozzled » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:02 pm

Most people do not need an extension for Joomla to integrate Google Analytics into their websites. There are several ways that people can integrate Google Analytics [GA] into their websites. Very simply, add the GA [Javascript] code into a Custom Module, save the module and assign it to a position on your template and ensure that the module is "displayed" on all pages where you want GA to collect information.

Also, see http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+add+Google+ ... +to+Joomla
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

DavetheCat
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby DavetheCat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:57 am

Hi sozzled,

That's a great idea - thank you!!

I have done that, and the GA code is showing up on my pages - although it's not in the position that GA recommends in their instructions, will that matter?

GA says to put the code "...as the first item into the <head> of every web page that you want to track." but my module puts the code after the </head> tag. I have it in the top-most position that my template will allow. Will that be OK, or is there a way to get the code to show after the <head> tag (and before the </head> tag)?

Any further advice on that much appreciated.

KianWilliam
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby KianWilliam » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:42 pm

You can use addScriptDeclaration of JDocument to add a piece of javascript code to the head tag, an extension named jumi allows you to do that, meanwhile with jQuery method: appendTo() you may add
a piece of script code to the head tag too.
Kian William

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Postby sozzled » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:15 pm

DavetheCat wrote:I have done that, and the GA code is showing up on my pages - although it's not in the position that GA recommends in their instructions, will that matter?
It doesn't matter. The point they're making is that there's always the potential for a website to run some other piece of JavaScript that might interfere with the GA script but the chances of this happening are less than one in a billion.

99.99% of the time it usually doesn't matter where the GA script is placed within the HTML of a web page.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

DavetheCat
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby DavetheCat » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:17 am

Hi sozzled,

Thank you for the reassurance, that's great. I'll go ahead and do that on all my Joomla sites now!

also thanks Kian, for alternative advice.

What would we joomla-semi-amateurs do without this forum!?

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”