Changes to website and template is slow

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
deleawo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Changes to website and template is slow

Post by deleawo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:24 pm

Hi. It seems the changes I am making to my clients joomla website is taking a long time. I first noticed it with an extension I am using, but I then notice it is happening with close to everything. Creating modules, modifying modules, modifying articles. Recently I was making adjustment to the site css and that was taking long also. I clear cache for joomla and the browsers and it is still taking a long time. It seems I have to wait for some time before the changes happen. I will like to be able to see the changes immediately or at least after I clear browser cache. This is my website http://www.vcmentoring.co.uk/creativefilms28052018/. Can you please help?

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Changes to website and template is slow

Post by AMurray » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:35 pm

If it's taking a while to show changes, despite clearing the cache (Joomla and browser) it could be some other caching element at work (that is not related to Joomla).

Hosting firms may have some other cache system that you can enable in cPanel (or equivalent), causing changes not to be shown immediately. Does the same thing happen across different browsers?

Can you make changes in say, Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and in each modify an article or something, save and then view in that same browser, or does the problem exist no matter what browser you use?
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

alirezasat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alirezasat » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:04 am

Sorry, I did not really understand if you were having problems with Joomla! Speed or did you encounter problems with your CSS site?

deleawo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deleawo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:56 pm

AMurray wrote:If it's taking a while to show changes, despite clearing the cache (Joomla and browser) it could be some other caching element at work (that is not related to Joomla).

Hosting firms may have some other cache system that you can enable in cPanel (or equivalent), causing changes not to be shown immediately. Does the same thing happen across different browsers?

Can you make changes in say, Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and in each modify an article or something, save and then view in that same browser, or does the problem exist no matter what browser you use?
Thank you for your reply. It is the same on all the browser.

marinkaas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by marinkaas » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:47 pm

Have you tested the page in google page speed insights?

deleawo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deleawo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi Marinkaas

I have checked. The problem is with the backend really. The problem seem to occur when I am making changes to articles and modules in the back end

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:32 pm

AMurray is probably correct. This is all a caching issue. Or if you use a CDN you'll have this issue.

What hosting do you use?

Install Regular Labs Cache Cleaner and set the plugin to clear cache on any changes. Not sure if the free version can clear 3rd party cache.

Or it could be a hosting issue.

deleawo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deleawo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:09 am

Thanks DaveOzric for your response. I have set the System Cache to off and cleared the cache but it is still taking it's time to show the changes. It was initially fine. What could have change with the hosting to cause it to start slowing down?

sparrowhawkc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sparrowhawkc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:03 am

The hosting company could have changed their global cache settings to save bandwidth, you could use .htaccess to override their configuration if you are comfortable with that?

Or simply ask them to disable caching for the required domains / for the file types you are altering on a regular basis & then re-enable if you find their configurations are beneficial for performance & ranking.

Although looking at it your css files

9c08a98c6d2feacd127572a94c3a73da-159.css (expiration not specified)
animations.css (expiration not specified)
responsive-template.css (expiration not specified)

So guessing the css cache delay is resolved at-least.

deleawo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deleawo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:36 am

sparrowhawkc wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:03 am
The hosting company could have changed their global cache settings to save bandwidth, you could use .htaccess to override their configuration if you are comfortable with that?

Or simply ask them to disable caching for the required domains / for the file types you are altering on a regular basis & then re-enable if you find their configurations are beneficial for performance & ranking.

Although looking at it your css files

9c08a98c6d2feacd127572a94c3a73da-159.css (expiration not specified)
animations.css (expiration not specified)
responsive-template.css (expiration not specified)

So guessing the css cache delay is resolved at-least.
Hi sparrowhawkc

Thanks for your response. I haven't recently needed to make any change on the website but the next time I do, I will update you on the result. Thank you very much.

romeog486
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by romeog486 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Joomla is a totally complicated product from a software improvement point of view. This complexity this is necessary to make Joomla one of the most powerful and flexible CMSs available comes at a price, slowness. Think approximately it this manner, your Joomla website is like a cart, and every extension is sort of a container of apples. The more extensions that you add for your Joomla internet site (or the more apple bins you add to your cart) the slower your internet site (cart) is. The fine component to do is to disable, or better but, completely uninstall unused extensions,

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”