Joomla auto-update feature/hosting

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
raph82
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla auto-update feature/hosting

Post by raph82 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:18 pm

I'm looking for an auto-update solution for the future Joomla! site of my small business. Having run another Joomla! site before, I remember that security updates are quite frequent and can represent quite some work.

Maybe Joomla! core itself is featuring an auto-update option? The Akeeba CMS Update extension used to do just that. It's now discontinued:
We have transferred our improvements to Joomla! and they will be integrated into a future version of Joomla! 3.5 or 3.6.
Joomla! is now version 3.8.11.
Regarding updates, the documentation states that:
Joomla will notify you on your Administrator home page (control panel) when an update is available. It will not automatically do the update for you. It is the responsibility of the administrator to start and verify the update was successful
So I'm guessing that's a no on the Joomla! core auto-update feature?

Maybe a current extension auto-updating Joomla! could do the job. I couldn't find one current. I found some obsolete ones. Do you know of a current auto-update extension ?

Some hosting providers offer an auto-update feature like CloudAccess Smart Updater, SiteGround Auto-Update or A2 Hosting Patchman. As it seems utterly useful, I'm wondering why it's not prominently advertised. Is it because it's simply what's called managed hosting? What's your experience with those hosting providers auto-update features?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla auto-update feature/hosting

Post by Webdongle » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:37 pm

The big problem with auto update is with 2rd party templates and extensions. Sites can often break because of 3rd party extensions and templates. If you find an extension or service that auto updates then it will most likely cost you more than the time it will take you to update.

Your best solution could be to factor in the cost of updating then do it yourself? That way you would know straight away if a 3rd party extension or template broke the site.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

JAVesey
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by JAVesey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:59 pm

There are a few options that I can think of, subject to webdongle’s caveats:

1. Use a hosting service that offers an auto-updating option for the Joomla core (like those you have identified)

2. Use a paid-for service like myjoomla.com (which does what you want and an awful lot of other things too; not sure but I think it might auto-update extensions too - worth a check)

HTH
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.0

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:35 pm

But would the cost of those options outweigh the cost of the time to update them himself?
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ribo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:20 pm

Personally i am not trust autoupdate features. Example: let say there is a problem with third party extension with the latest joomla version and this extension you use it in several joomla sites, so you will have several broken joomla sites and you must run to fix them all. I dont want that. Manually update will not spend too much time from me to update several joomla websites.
chat room spontes : http://www.spontes.com

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:25 pm

I use Akeeba and it auto backsup before updating. If you do use an auto update I suggest you install Akeeba (install it even if you manually update).

I agree with ribo ... manually update so you see any problems immediately.

JAVesey
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by JAVesey » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:40 am

Webdongle wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:25 pm
I agree with ribo ... manually update so you see any problems immediately.
I agree too; I don't use my hosting company's autoupdate feature. If there were to be an issue I'd like to know what caused it.

And as the others have said, backup your site (files and database) before updating (core and extensions).
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.0

raph82
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by raph82 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Thank you all for your input!

JAVesey's first answer was the most useful to me, making me aware of myjoomla.com-type services:
JAVesey wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:59 pm
2. Use a paid-for service like myjoomla.com
It was obvious to me to start an update with a backup. An automated solution should start this way too.
Some tools check that the update went well with a "visual" comparison before/after the update. If it's dependable (that's why I was asking for users' experience), I get the auto-update without the risk of a broken site. My site being a simple, no-extension-galore, stable-content one, I think the risk is low and anyway, if the site is down that's not a big deal. E-mail being down would be.

I could have make it clearer that dealing with websites is not my primary occupation. I like to spend the least possible time on administration chores, including my website's. That's why I was looking for an automated solution, rather than the default of letting it be as is until it's compromised :-(
However, I found that those automated tools are geared toward websites managers, with pricing depending on the number of websites and such. I'm just a Joomla! end-user and could not find a suitable offer in my country (France).

For those looking on a similar solution, this 2017 review of three Joomla! website management tools was useful. It compares MyJoomla, Watchful.li and PerfectDashboard (the tool used by CloudAccess under the name AutoUpdater, cited earlier). Pricing has changed quite a bit though.

In my case, I'll try updating as regularly as possible until a better solution comes up!

JAVesey
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by JAVesey » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:26 pm

raph82 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:03 pm
In my case, I'll try updating as regularly as possible until a better solution comes up!
Auto-updating Joomla is one thing, auto-updating extensions is another altogether. The problem is that you need to do both.

As an aside, some hosting services (e.g. Siteground on some/most of their shared-server plans) take daily back-ups of both files and database should you ever need to restore a site and it gives some confidence in the event that an auto-update causes an issue.

Good thread/question.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.0

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”