Forum rules: necro-posting Topic is solved

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with joomla.org, community.joomla.org, forum.joomla.org, vel.joomla.org.

Moderator: brad

Forum rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Forum rules: necro-posting

Post by sozzled » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:51 pm

@Webdongle: you need to follow the timeline. I wrote
sozzled wrote:... every day, as forum moderators target individual topics (and lock them)
... as an observation on how things had occurred in the past. I wrote this merely as an observation that forum moderators were required to—past tense—take action. The moderation team will have less need to individually lock topics in future in order to safeguard the community from the woes of necroposting.

Filibustering means to delay progress by wasting time (usually by making long speeches). Progress has been made! Let us all rejoice! 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Now that the new approach—auto-locking old topics that have not been active for two years or more—has settled in, we've seen a considerable reduction in the incidence of necropost spam and (I think the moderators would also agree) this has lightened the moderators' workload. We can all relax more.

I'm marking this topic resolved.

It took some lobbying but it was worth it. Thanks @ooffick and to others who supported the change. I have fewer reservations about accepting a forum moderation role, if I were to be invited to participate in that process. 8)
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: automatic locking old topics

Post by sozzled » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:47 pm

ooffick wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:53 am
We have implemented a new feature which locks all topics which are not updated within 2 years.
I've noticed that the automatic locking of ancient topics doesn't seem to apply to stickied topics. Perhaps the feature could also be used with them, too?

ooffick
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ooffick » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:28 pm

That is correct, sticky topics deserve special handling.

If those are that old that they deserve to be locked (if the topic is not locked from the beginning), those topics might need to removed as a sticky altogether.

BTW, this is not an invitation to go through all the sticky posts on the forum, but if you come across a sticky post which you think should be locked, feel free to report it. And we can evaluate the usefulness of those topics.

Kind regards
Olaf
Olaf Offick - Global Moderator
learnskills.org

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:27 am

ooffick wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:28 pm
That is correct, sticky topics deserve special handling.
It's a pity but I understand what you're saying. 8)

ooffick wrote:
If those are that old that they deserve to be locked (if the topic is not locked from the beginning), those topics might need to removed as a sticky altogether.
I'm sure I can think of a few dozen off the top of my head (especially all those "Welcome to Joomla" stickies (mostly created a decade ago) in non-English language forum categories that are always being "resurrected" by necro-posters!

ooffick wrote:
BTW, this is not an invitation to go through all the sticky posts on the forum, but if you come across a sticky post which you think should be locked, feel free to report it. And we can evaluate the usefulness of those topics.
I agree that this should be an invitation to plague the forum moderators with time-wasting activities; they have enough to do without this. Never fear, particularly as the non-English language posters resurrect ancient stickies, it might be an idea to just lock the topics anyway particularly if they were created many years ago.

Cheers and many thanks for your reply. 8)

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”