An old problem...

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
spikespiegel
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

An old problem...

Post by spikespiegel » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:47 pm

This is a very old problem with Joomla, I have seen this in Joomla 1.0, have seen this in Joomla 1.5, I have seen this in Joomla 2.5 and I have seen in Joomla 3+, and this has been discussed already here in the forums, all these years and the community never did anything about it.

The problem is: When we set a module to appear only on one page, it will appear on other pages depending on the url. For example, I have settle 4 modules to show up on homepage (only), but then I click the "Registration" link from the login module, what happens? I get redirected to a page where all the home modules are there.
This is so frustrating. I remember I had to use jQuery once to show the stuff based on the url, but now I had to rebuild my website and will have to do the jquery thing again.

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: An old problem...

Post by effrit » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:05 pm

you only need create new menu item to User-Registration. the common way - make new menu for such system links.
this is normal joomla logic - if the page have not own menu item it's just inherit all preferences included linked modules.

spikespiegel
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by spikespiegel » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:20 pm

Really? And how am I supposed to use that to change the Registration link inside the Login Module? :)

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by effrit » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:25 pm

you dont need it.
just make menu item as i write before.
or u can make your "jquery magic" and blame community about how joomla normally work.

spikespiegel
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by spikespiegel » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:37 pm

What if I don't want to? What if I need to do the thing using the Login Module, are you going to put a gun on my head and force me to use your lame "solution"? Yes, it's the community to blame. Aceita que dói menos.

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by effrit » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:50 pm

haha.
some peoples love troubles, i guess.
it's last time i try to help u, because... u prefer magic.

spikespiegel
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by spikespiegel » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:16 pm

Help?

- Go there and create a new menu item.
- But that's not what I need.
- It doesn't matter, do as I told you.

"this is normal joomla logic"
" or keep making your jquery "Magic" "

WOW dude, what a help.

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by effrit » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:33 pm

i write WHY u need new menu item.
just try to read and make it!
it's not joomla - it YOU have problem because dont want to understand basic system logic.
just make menu item and your module will redirect on this page without any other modules if they not set as "show on any page".
is this SO HARD to understand?

spikespiegel
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by spikespiegel » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:06 pm

And why didn't you explain things this way earlier?

"you only need create new menu item to User-Registration. the common way - make new menu for such system links.
this is normal joomla logic - if the page have not own menu item it's just inherit all preferences included linked modules." I'm sorry, but before I couldn't understand when you said " if the page have not own menu item it's just inherit all preferences included linked modules."

What about "If you set a new menu item to the user registration page, the registration link in the login module will redirect to that page automatically." Easier to understand.

This explanation could have avoided this whole mess, instead of just telling me to do "magic". That's not entirely my fault that things came to this point.

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by effrit » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:17 pm

So its my problem now?
You make post about "community doing nothing for years", dont even try make what i suggested and in result - its my fault?
I am not surprised what u have this "old problem" for years...

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:18 pm

The link for the menu item points to the same Component as the link in the menu module.

But if you have a Login module (or any module) assigned to only the Home page then that module will not show on the registration page.

If your Home page is Featured Article (or Category) ... then the menu module (or any module) will display on all pages related to the Categories that are on the Home page. The exception is when A cCategory (or Article) have their own menu item.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

spikespiegel
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by spikespiegel » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:34 pm

effrit wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:17 pm
So its my problem now?
You make post about "community doing nothing for years", dont even try make what i suggested and in result - its my fault?
I am not surprised what u have this "old problem" for years...
Stop mocking me, don't make me say what I don't want to say. And I didn't say it was entirely your fault.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:37 pm

spikespiegel wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:06 pm
What about "If you set a new menu item to the user registration page, the registration link in the login module will redirect to that page automatically."...
No the link in the Login menu would not redirect. It would still link to the Registration Component.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

spikespiegel
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by spikespiegel » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:39 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:18 pm
The link for the menu item points to the same Component as the link in the menu module.

But if you have a Login module (or any module) assigned to only the Home page then that module will not show on the registration page.

If your Home page is Featured Article (or Category) ... then the menu module (or any module) will display on all pages related to the Categories that are on the Home page. The exception is when A cCategory (or Article) have their own menu item.
I had this problem for years and never new about that feature. This type of information should be explicit. And that's not something that everybody complains about, so yeah, it's normal to have that problem and ignore it for years.

spikespiegel
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by spikespiegel » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:37 pm
spikespiegel wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:06 pm
What about "If you set a new menu item to the user registration page, the registration link in the login module will redirect to that page automatically."...
No the link in the Login menu would not redirect. It would still link to the Registration Component.
Mine is redirecting to the registration page that I've created using the new menu item.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:03 pm

Repeat after me
"Creating a Registration menu item does not alter the Registration link that is in the Login module. They both point to the Registration component."

That's it
And again
"Creating a Registration menu item does not alter the Registration link that is in the Login module. They both point to the Registration component."

One more time so it sinks in.

annahersh
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by annahersh » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Install the free extension called Advanced Module Manager to gain absolute control over module display. It will replace the core Joomla module manager on installation, and gives you the option to switch back at will.
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... e-manager/

It allows the standard assignment to menu item by include or exclude, but then provides many other methods to fine tune page appearance: You can set the module to the home page menu item then exclude from other pages which do not have menu items but are identifiable by other factors.

- by URL - enter any word from one or multiple page url and set the method to Exclude
- component - select one or multiple components and set the method to Exclude
amm-menu.jpg
Exclude by URL
amm-exclude-urls.jpg
Exclude by component
amm-exclude-component.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Annahersh gives a very good solution if you want to achieve this nicely and professionally. But Webdongle message should be clear now I believe and he is right

Leo 8)

Footnote: Sometimes it is a pity that people who ask for help get angry and nasty at the messenger instead of thanking for the help
Joomla's #1 Professional Support Provider:
-> Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
-> Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
Member Joomla Bug Squad & Joomla CMS Release Team

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”